Johnson18's 55 Gallon! New Fish 2/20! - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #61
Italionstallion888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Stargrass would fit what you are looking for. I love your tank. Can't wait to see it mature.
Italionstallion888 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #62
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I don't know how I feel. I think I can adjust a couple plants and fully cover the filter.

Hmmmm........
johnson18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #63
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I've decided to sell all of the Java Fern out of this tank. I've still got some in other tanks, so it's still available to me down the road. I've stared at the Anubias covered driftwood long enough, now that it is flipped around, I've already got changes planned. Now I've figured out a couple simple adjustments in plant placements that will make the driftwood look better & hide the filter. Several of the petites will be removed and the reg nana will be spread out more. Plus a large nana going up the tall back edge of the wood along the glass. The petites that will be removed will go into specific crevices on the far end of the driftwood that it still covered with Java Fern at the moment. Just kind of thinking ahead! Hopefully some one will be interested in my plant packages. That is a lot of plants for a decent price, at least that's what I think, that's why I decided to only do two packages, more for each person. Hopefully if I'm way off someone would let me know. I don't sell often, so I'm used to just figuring how much shipping is going to cost. Hahaha...

I kinda think I want to add a Red Tiger Lotus into the tank in an undetermined location, give the tank some much needed color and taller height plants.... If the JF goes away I might also add some Hygro Brown.

Thoughts!?

Last edited by johnson18; 11-04-2013 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: Edit
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #64
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I pulled all of the JF as I've got a couple people interested in the whole mass! Here is a quick snapshot of the tank afterwards!

Now I've got to figure out where I want to go from here! Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #65
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italionstallion888 View Post
Stargrass would fit what you are looking for. I love your tank. Can't wait to see it mature.
I can't say that I've ever looked into stargrass, at least off the top of my head. I will look into this more.
Thanks for the compliment on the tank. So often I feel it needs so much work! Haha... But don't we all say that some times!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #66
Italionstallion888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

55s are not easy to scape. Not enough depth but I would never give mine up. Special place in my heart for them lol.
Italionstallion888 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 04:05 AM   #67
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italionstallion888 View Post
55s are not easy to scape. Not enough depth but I would never give mine up. Special place in my heart for them lol.
Yeah, wider tanks seem like they'd be easier to give a scape great depth! Sadly, I wouldn't know! I've got two 55s set up, a third on my front porch, a ten, two 20L & 20H.... All narrow tanks! I think a 6'x2' would be a fun footprint!! Maybe I'll put more thought into a 40B..... I still don't see the 55 going anywhere though! Hahaha....
Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #68
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I switched around the Anubias as planned, I think rearranging the plants was a good idea. They just flow better now and let more light hit the Blyxa... I also moved the nana petites onto a portion of the main driftwood now that the Java Fern has been removed. Did a wc while I was at it. I like where this tank is headed.

Here is a shot after I finished working on it today.

I've got a few specific areas I'm wanting to focus on as far as finding something to fill the space. I might be looking for a few plant suggestions as I progress!

I still need some more foreground plants for the over all mix. I'm thinking MM, plus...?? Maybe some sort of grassy looking micro sword?

A big one is that I've gotta figure out what to do with the foreground space between the C. lucens the Nana that's attached to the driftwood from the front glass back the the driftwood. I feel like that's a nice chuck of usable space!

It other main area is the right end from the driftwood over. I like the C. balansae but I feel like the amazon swords need to go. Doing this would leave a major hole on that side that could be filled by any multitude of plants. This area also needs taller plants as there's a filter in the back corner of the tank.

I would definitely like to try something I haven't used much or at all before. I'm not totally opposed to stems but definitely do want a ton of them. Still so much I want to do to this tank! There aren't enough plants in the tank without the Java Fern covered dw, so I've gotta figure something so I can pack some more plants in!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #69
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I've got a bunch of Marsilea minuta on the way to add to the foreground area!

I think I've decided to go with S. repens in the other foreground section, between the c. willisii x lucens and nana on the driftwood. Haven't made any purchases as of yet.

I'm still unsure about the other areas yet. I still need some taller plants. Hmmmm......
Old 11-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #70
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Default Johnson18's 55 Gallon Rescape in Process! (56k!)

Well I've made some decisions on plants, the species at least! I've got a couple ideas where I'm going to place some plants. I would always love to hear the thoughts of others! Here is what is on the way:
Crypt parva x 2 - depending on how it looks will decide if this goes in the 20L to add to the carpet or goes emersed.
Ludwigua sp Rubin x 8
Echinodorus angustifolia 'vesuvius' x 6(more) - a couple of these will end up else where
Hygrophila pinnatifida x 5
Hygrophila tiger x 3
Limnophila aromatica x 6
Hygrophila brown x 10
Staurogyne repens x 10

I will momentarily add a pic of the current tank layout!

You can see where I've got holes to fill. I know I don't have a lot of each species coming in, but I know it'll fill in over time. I've got some time before I have to worry about planting yet. I'm pretty sure that nothing will ship until after the holiday Monday.
I am going to start at least one of each species emersed so I'll have an ability to add more that way too. In case I kill something... Haha.. I just want a wider variety of plants in my emersed set up!

Last edited by johnson18; 11-10-2013 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Names
Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #71
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So far everything seems to be doing fairly well with the recently planted plants. Almost all of the Anubias plants have at least one new leaf popping out, since they arrived. There has been a little bit of melting in the Echinodorus angustifolia 'vesuvius, but nothing too horrible. The Bacopa & H. Japan have both switched over to their submersed forms quickly and with ease. The shaded Bacopa has been a little slower in the growing of new submersed growth, but that's not a surprise. That is why I went with taller stems in the heavily shaded area to start with. Some of the H. Japan has started showing upward growth. When I add the rest of the plants later this week I will replant it closer to the substrate, probably end up adding some more from my emersed tank too.
The Bylxa is the only plant that appears unchanged, not sure if this is good, bad, indifferent. That's the joy of getting new plants, you get to learn their growth patterns!

I forgot to mention that with portion of my order coming from Han, I've got a good sized Red Tiger Lotus. I plan to place this somewhere it will look crowded. If you look at the picture a few posts back, notice that there is a gap in the leaves of the large Anubias. I'm considering placing the RTL in that whole. Part of it would shade the driftwood, but that's ok, just a few A. bar. nana petite. Just a thought. I've always really liked the color and texture the RTL add to a tank but not always a fan of it being a main plant. I want it to kind of pop out of a sea of green plants. haha...

I plan to put the S. repens in the front center hole that is open to the right of the C. willisii 'lucens'

I'm still kicking around ideas for plant placement for the new plants arriving later this week. I would really love some feedback or any ideas for plant placement. I have two main areas that need to be filled. If you look at the drawing in the post above, you'll see the open space all the way to the right side of the tank as well as the area on the left side in front/next to the A. nana covered driftwood behind the Bylxa and the foreground plants.

The area all the way to the right I would like to create either a grouped, step tiered or row look with some of the stems I have. Any thoughts of ideas? Not sure if I want to use the Hygro. pinnatifida in this spot or to place it in the very back of the other spot up next to the driftwood against the back wall.
Or maybe I should put the Hygro. Brown in the back by the driftwood. Then use one of the contrasting stems(maybe the Hygro Tiger or Limnophila aromatica?) shorter in the forward section of this space. Thoughts? Suggestions? Help?

Last edited by johnson18; 11-13-2013 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: .
Old 11-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #72
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Got in most of the new plants today. The package of MM did not show up, the USPS site doesn't show a local scan but it still says delivery today. Who knows, maybe my post man will drop it off later or it might be tomorrow. Whatever, either way. Haha.

I'll try to figure out the rest of the plants tonight. I'm sure there will be pictures of everything tonight!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #73
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Plants on plants on plants!

Old 11-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #74
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So after 6 days with the usps the MM arrived... Quick look appeared to be fine. I'll know more when I get a chance to plant it tonight!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #75
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I spent quite a while tonight planting M. minuta! I had to toss maybe a fifth of the mm that was shipped. Stupid usps. It's all good, I had a huge amount to start with!

I had to replant a couple stems that had floated up the last couple days. Overall the tank is looking better. I think I like how the current layout is looking. It just needs time to grow now. Some of the stems will need to trimmed and replanted to get a thicker look and feel.

I will try to get some pictures taken tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.