SMC solenoids good/bad?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
larams67
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

SMC solenoids good/bad?

I happened across one of these SMC VDW21-6G-1-01N on amazon.

Looks pretty good for only $23 new.

Anyone had experience with these and can tell us if they are worth a try?
larams67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

What wattage and voltage is it? Most of them are pretty good but I don't have any long term experience with them.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
larams67
Planted Member

If I'm reading their pdf correctly this one is 12V and uses 3 watts. It has two 1/8" female NPT threaded ports.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

How are these SMC solenoids not getting any exposure? Smaller, uses less power and cheaper than Burkert's, not to mention better looking.

I been using one for a few months, works great. It's a bit toasty though, but all solenoids (beside those cute clippard mouse) are hot.

The only caution is to read up on this particular model.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
jaspr180
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
The only caution is to read up on this particular model.
What was wrong with this particular model? I was looking at getting a VDW21 also.
jaspr180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I build vehicles with air ride suspension and use exclusively SMC valves. I'm also a manufacturing engineer and the majority of the fluid or gas handling valves in my plant are SMC. Very high quality, reliable stuff.

I don't know how they work for other applications, but they are top notch industrial-grade valves. Like anything else, spec'ing the right parts for your application is crucial. SMC makes literally thousands upon thousands of different valves.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspr180 View Post
What was wrong with this particular model? I was looking at getting a VDW21 also.
They come in various options, you just got to see the specs. And yes, SMC is huge, very good customer service too. Their pneumatic fittings are used in the ADA Co2 system, I think. They got the low speed "flow control" and the manual shut off. Google those images and they look exactly like the stuff ADA uses.

You guys should check out the pneumatic tube fittings, it's vastly cheaper to run things inline than stainless steel fittings.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
larams67
Planted Member

I bought this one VDW22NZ1DB.

2 port
1/8" npt
12v dc
12" color coded wire leads
uses less than 3 watts
Brass

It's the newest design and is one of the smallest they make. It costs $22 plus another $9 for shipping. Just arrived today. It looks solid and well made. I'll be hooking it up in the next week or so. I'll post back when I learn more about it.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
mayanjungledog
Geek

PTrader: (62/100%)

I have the 24v version of the solenoid you have. I bought it from Bettatail a while ago and it's working very well on my set up. It does get hot, but I have not had any issues with it.
mayanjungledog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #10
larams67
Planted Member

Just want to update.

I received this VDW22NZ1DB solenoid a couple weeks back. It's been running for about two weeks flawlessly.

Runs off 12v dc. Easy two wire hook up. It draws less than 2 watts. It barely gets warm when turned on.

It has 1/8" npt input and output.

It was dirt cheap compared to the Clippards and Burkets. I just have to see how long it lasts but so far it's looking like a winner for $30.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by larams67 View Post
It was dirt cheap compared to the Clippards and Burkets. I just have to see how long it lasts but so far it's looking like a winner for $30.
The tide is turning, I like this. I guess old school is Victor, Burket and Ideal, it's nice to see other options.

Larams - You have the plastic case one right? You don't feel the heat because it's encase in the cover, and the heat generated is fine *according to SMC*. Mine is a bit toasty so I added a fan on the back.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #12
larams67
Planted Member

Yes, it does have a plastic case. I hadn't thought about it containing the heat.

Hope it doesn't melt lol.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #13
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Well, something that draws 2w or less shouldn't create a whole lot of heat, and that will vary depending on the DC adapter you use.

But, generally, anything that draws that little power should last you a long, long time. Congratz on the great pickup!

It's always been possible to find good solenoids for cheap on the 'bay. Unfortunately, it generally requires some experience-based knowledge, or a whole lot of reading and searching, or both, to find those deals. It's great to see one of them available in large quantities at decent retail prices. Great score, and I hope it continues to work well, so we can start advocating it to newcomers.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 01:35 AM   #14
flippydoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Being someone with no prior pressurized experience, having spent many hours searching, reading, researching.. I have but one question!

If I buy this on amazon, how do I connect a power cable to it? I read this thread and it seems pretty simple, but how do I find a super cheap cord or know if one laying around the house will work? And it says 12v DC, does that mean I need some kind of adapter to plug it into my standard AC wall outlet?

Thanks!

I've also just run across this valve, the smc VDW250-5G-2-M5-A for like 14 shipped on no ebay links allowed Would this also work?

http://www.smcpneumatics.com/VDW250-5G-2-M5-A.html

Last edited by flippydoo; 01-16-2014 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: new link
flippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 02:20 AM   #15
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sounds like a winner but still needs just a bit of thought to get the power supply correct. Solenoids are about as simple as wiring gets so to sort out the supply, find the voltage, in this case 12Volt DC. Then check the specs on the solenoid for how much power is needed. It may be listed in MW (milliwatt), watts or amps. Sometimes we need to run the numbers through an online converter to get the numbers to match what we are looking at on the supply. Find a converter and plug in the numbers so that it spits out answers. For this part we want to make sure that we get plenty. While voltage has to be correct, the power can be anything from equal to the rating to way past it. Excess power does not hurt and can be helpful as these things are just ratings rather than what may actually happen. Once hands on the supply and solenoid, connect either wire to either connection. If it comes with a diagram, follow that but it hardly ever makes any difference as this is just a coil of wire where correct polarity is not important.
My advise would be to avoid the whole Burkert wiring if you can go this way. Get a plug in charger from Goodwill with the right specs for a couple dollars and you will find there is hardly any way to mess it up. Two wires to two points is all it takes.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.