ADA/SMC 's AS flow control (needle valve) - How is it?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

ADA/SMC 's AS flow control (needle valve) - How is it?

Couple of questions on the SMC needle valve, likely the same one from the ADA system.

How sensitive is it compare to the retail Co2 systems. Is it even the same one? Theres a bucket load of companies that manufacture pneumatic tube fittings and all of them look the same (as do metal fittings), would a 30 dollar valve compare to 9 dollar one?

I ask because, these needle valves have decent specs but they're literary all the same number wise. Even the flow chart looks similar.

If one can make a post body with these pneumatic fittings, the cost is cut down substantially. A plastic manifold, tee valve, elbow, anything is about 1 or 2 dollars. The only downsize is having everything run in-line.

But, I'm starting to like the idea of going in-line. You can have quick disconnects, check valves, couplings or anything.

Oh and 10/32 fittings too weak and small? Get a coupling that converts it to 1/8 for 5 bucks.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

I've tried a few of them. While they do work, they are touchy and the adjustment screw is tiny. If you want to build something on a budget or need a lot of them they're fine but I like a valve that's a bit easier to adjust and is a bit stronger.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Oh and 10/32 fittings too weak and small? Get a coupling that converts it to 1/8 for 5 bucks.
This does not really solve the problem, as the #10/32 fitting is still present (and can break off inside the adapter!)

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
I've tried a few of them. While they do work, they are touchy and the adjustment screw is tiny.
It's weird how small these adjustment knobs are, made for tight places maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
This does not really solve the problem, as the #10/32 fitting is still present (and can break off inside the adapter!)
Yes that true, Anthony. I'm thinking if the bps were adjusted inline, the main rig would be a "set and forget" kind of thing.

=========

Anyways, I went and got some of these cute pneumatic fittings.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
jstehman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

+1 on touchy.

We have that equipment at work. It is quality stuff, but I would not use that valve for fine tuning.

That tubing will last a LONG time, but it is very stiff. And make sure you cut the end square for the push/pull connection or you will have a leak.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about that one. You're right about the stiff tubing, is there a way to straighten it out?

Check out this post-body kit, it's the size of a normal solenoid. Probably the smallest one I know of.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

I'd used something else frankly. Spend a few Bucks for something that really is not adequate is a few bucks wasted.

You can generally nab a decent valve if you wait awhile.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
jstehman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

@FlyingHellFish

I have never gotten the tubing to straighten out. Hair dryer might warm it up enough to get the curl out..

Cable tie to a wire hanger

I was going to experiment with that stuff a while back. Was gonna run a threaded to p/p fitting off my solenoid then tubing to another p/p threaded into a brass tee block and run NVs off the block. That way I could remote locate my cylinder so my kids can't get to it.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I'd used something else frankly. Spend a few Bucks for something that really is not adequate is a few bucks wasted.

You can generally nab a decent valve if you wait awhile.
It's decent and is by no means the best, but still useable. ADA uses the same design but slapped on a sticker on it with a $40 price tag.

I tested it out and it was fine, I like the locking screw that act as a place holder.

One of the nice thing about this is the price point, no one can make money off of this (beside ADA, but I love them), it's 10 - 15 (*new) at any local store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstehman View Post
@FlyingHellFish

I have never gotten the tubing to straighten out. Hair dryer might warm it up enough to get the curl out..

Cable tie to a wire hanger

I was going to experiment with that stuff a while back. Was gonna run a threaded to p/p fitting off my solenoid then tubing to another p/p threaded into a brass tee block and run NVs off the block. That way I could remote locate my cylinder so my kids can't get to it.
Yes!, that was my thought exactly. You run everything inline without never touching the regulator/co2 tank.

The tubing is hard to work with for sure, but it's so pretty and shinny.