210g emersed aquarium. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #31
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
Thanks!

I was wanting to go with glass, but I was afraid of it breaking. This just confirms that I need to get glass instead.

Thanks!

-Caton
U can get glass cheap from lowes and they cut it for free. That's what I did for my emersed tank. Haven't broken yet, and even if it does the relative low cost isn't to bad.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #32
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

There's always the 'Whole lot of plastic wrap cover' method!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #33
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

About the glass top, spend the extra money and buy 3/16". Strong and still light enough to move.

I just built a humidity dome for my Aquaponic grown bed to raise Crypts & Buce in. I used 3/16" glass as a top. Cut in two pc for easy access.

On yours I'd use smaller pcs. Also a few pc allows you to vent easier should that be needed.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #34
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I was planning on having 2 pieces to each side. 4 pieces in total.

I'm curious if it's at all possible for me to have a sump on this also. I would like to breed bristle nose plecos or something underneath, but I want ample filtration. I have a nice pump that is just providing current right now. How much would it cost to do a 29g sump? I already have the tank and some foam.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #35
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Went to the glass shop yesterday, it was going to cost almost $60 to get glass and even more in acrylic. So I decided to wait until I have more money. I am using some heavy duty plastic wrap over the top right now.

I also got some Anubias sp. 'micro' growing in there now. I had no idea it was so tiny. I got two plants, combined, it could probably fit on a penny.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Old 11-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #36
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I was super surprised the first time I ordered micro or the true petites! So tiny!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #37
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Went to the glass shop yesterday, it was going to cost almost $60 to get glass and even more in acrylic. So I decided to wait until I have more money. I am using some heavy duty plastic wrap over the top right now.

I also got some Anubias sp. 'micro' growing in there now. I had no idea it was so tiny. I got two plants, combined, it could probably fit on a penny.
Plastic wrap for the win!

Glad you like the Anubias!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #38
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Went to the glass shop yesterday, it was going to cost almost $60 to get glass and even more in acrylic. So I decided to wait until I have more money....
You can head over to Goodwill or yard sales and buy old picture frames and use that glass until you are ready to get some nicer pcs from the glass shop.

I take a lap around town on trash day. I can usually find an Aquarium at least every other week. I also see old glass windows weekly. Some call it dumpster diving, I prefer to call it recycling.

Also, old aquariums are great to practice on to learn how to cut glass.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #39
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Thats a great idea! Old picture frames... The hard part would be finding one the size I need. 23.75" across isn't really that common. :P

If I can find two old 20g's, that would be perfect. Just cut the silicone and I'd have the panels. And if its too large, I can always pay the $10 for it to be cut. Would definitely save some money.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 11-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #40
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Well, I am getting lots of good growth. The hydrocotyle is really taking off. The swords are just starting to put out new leaves, the DHG is putting out runners. Only thing I am worried about at this point is algae in my HC tubs. Its cyanobacteria ontop of the soil. Any ideas how to get rid of it?

Another note - I wish I hadn't used potting soil. I should have used some inert material, like gravel, or expanded clay balls, and fertilized from the water. Would have been a lot easier. The soil is really going to take a long time to leech out the tannins and nitrates. Doubtful if I will be able to have fish.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 11-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Well, I am getting lots of good growth. The hydrocotyle is really taking off. The swords are just starting to put out new leaves, the DHG is putting out runners. Only thing I am worried about at this point is algae in my HC tubs. Its cyanobacteria ontop of the soil. Any ideas how to get rid of it?

Another note - I wish I hadn't used potting soil. I should have used some inert material, like gravel, or expanded clay balls, and fertilized from the water. Would have been a lot easier. The soil is really going to take a long time to leech out the tannins and nitrates. Doubtful if I will be able to have fish.
Try moss on the soil, has prevented mold and algae on my emersed plants
Old 11-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #42
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Or wait until Petco has the $1/gal sale. Brand new glass tops. Hmmm I may have to do that for my emersed tanks. Just have a feeling I'd fill them up too though.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #43
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Hey guys! Everything is growing great! I would take pictures, but every time I try to, my lens gets fogged up. Anybody know how to get around this? I think I might just take the plastic off for an hour and go for it.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1