Official sump pimp club. - Page 16
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #226
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymittens View Post
IIRC you can get the foam at places like Big Al's (LFS), or off amazon in big sheets/rolls.

I had no issues with silicone/acrylic - just used a lot. Be sure to let it cure for 48-72 hours minimum, most especially if you are really gooping it on. After 24 hours anything thicker than 1/4" will still be liquid on the bottom.

Note that the design you're showing - the first baffle is too high (well, no point in being that high). The water level in that first section will only get as high as the next baffle over.

Also, there's no 'dry' section to this, i.e. for a drip tray. Everything I've read (barrreport, here) indicates that freshwater sumps really benefit from a drip tray so you get more types of bacteria.

For mine, I have a higher first baffle (raised 2" off the bottom) than necessary - aesthetics, but a functional mistake. Note the second baffle (which touches the bottom of the sump) has the drip tray immediately flowing off the same height.

This design allows me to have a wet/dry sump with only two baffles. The drawback is that the entire unit must be sealed to reduce CO2 off-gassing.
So basically let each coat dry longer?
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #227
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

It'll eventually cure (as long as we're not talking 1" deep), but the absolute minimum is 48 hours, recommended a week. Don't forget...it off-gasses ammonia!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #228
Legot
Planted Member

Can I join the club?!?! I've got a 10g reverse night cycle planted sump on my 20long running a 6" DSB.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #229
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymittens View Post
It'll eventually cure (as long as we're not talking 1" deep), but the absolute minimum is 48 hours, recommended a week. Don't forget...it off-gasses ammonia!
No nothing that thick. I think I am going to call some glass shops and see what they can price me and what they would charge to seal it all in place.
I think I am going to use a 30L instead of the 29 that is currently in use. The 29 works but is so tall that it makes maintenance a little difficult. I think something shorter and longer is better. The other nice thing is I can take my time building the 30L so when I take everything down it will already be done and the reassembly will be faster. The downside is I was going to use that 30L to house my fish while it was down. Maybe I need to get on craigslist and look for a temporary home.
All things to think about and figure out how I am going to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Can I join the club?!?! I've got a 10g reverse night cycle planted sump on my 20long running a 6" DSB.
#27 - Legot
Old 11-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #230
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The downside to a shorter (height) sump is you then can't do quite so much wet/dry functionality - it requires a certain amount of height above the water level for the dry portion. I agree it makes maintenance trickier in a smaller cabinet, though.

The water pressure you're dealing with really isn't much...I'd just DIY the silicone. If you had a 100 gallon sump...then maybe more attention to detail would be required...
Old 11-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #231
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (103/100%)

For us would it not be considered a wet dry filter

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #232
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh...I'm confused. Drip tray area is the wet/dry...stuff above water = dry, stuff below water = wet. Wet/dry. No? :S
Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #233
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

75 gallon tank with 29 gallon tank converted to sump.
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=480226
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote