Is my platy sick?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
dear_iinsanity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is my platy sick?

I picked up 6 platys this past weekend and one of them has been acting strange for the past 2 days...

The first few days he was acting fine, schooling with the others and swimming around the tank...the past 2 days he's been very lethargic, hanging out in one corner of the tank towards the top, and under the heater at the bottom of the tank. No social interaction, but eating fine.

Also, his lips have turned white. Not sure if this is ick or not, none of the other fish have these traits. No other white spots that would notify me of ick, so I'm kind of confused/concerned.
dear_iinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

White spots around lips are often caused by columnaris. These fish are new - did you add them to a tank with other fish that you already had? There's a good chance that the others will develop symptoms in short order.
SunSun Pimp #86
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
White spots around lips are often caused by columnaris. These fish are new - did you add them to a tank with other fish that you already had? There's a good chance that the others will develop symptoms in short order.
Yup I'd have to say its columnaris. The behavior you are describing along with the white mouth is a dead give away.

Virto is right about the other fish getting it. Nasty nasty illness
Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
dear_iinsanity
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
Yeah, when I bought them I inspected them and they looked fine, I put them in with the community (bad move on not quarantining them first), and noticed a white spot. Been in the main tank for 4 days now, I noticed it getting worse last night so I put it in the quarantine tank along with the other fish that came with it.
dear_iinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

There's a good chance that it may already be too late, and that the entire community could be infected.

Do some reading on columnaris and treatments, just incase you start to see more infections. It's fatal and won't just go away on its own, so if your visibly infected platy is getting worse, you may want to consider putting it down before it simply succumbs.
SunSun Pimp #86
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dear_iinsanity View Post
Yeah, when I bought them I inspected them and they looked fine, I put them in with the community (bad move on not quarantining them first), and noticed a white spot. Been in the main tank for 4 days now, I noticed it getting worse last night so I put it in the quarantine tank along with the other fish that came with it.
They can carry it with out symptoms at times. I've noticed this quite often in catfish. Stress seems to make it worse, even IF the fish look healthy at the store you always want to qt them! You never know what they are carrying that you can't see with the naked eye!