My 45 gallon long journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

My 45 gallon long journal

This is the journal of my 45 gallon long planted tank....

Aquarium - 45 gallon long (48"x12"x19")
Lighting - 48" Odyssea Quad 4x54w w/ built in timer (4x6500k)
Filtration - SunSun 402B w/ 9w UV
Heating - 200w Hydor Theo submersible heater
Substrate - Regular Flourite, and 3L ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia
Co2 - DIY 2ltr co2 system

Current plant list - 4 small Amazon Swords, 2 Ludwigia repens, 30 Rotala rotundifolia, 10 Hygrophila angustifolia, 30 Cardamine lyrata, 5 Hygro corymbosa, 3 Ozelot Swords, 1 Cryptocoryne balansae, 1 Anubias barteri, 5 Hygrophila polysperma, and a couple misc...

Current live stock - 2" Vanilla Crayfish, and 2 Black Mollies

I haven't settled on a full aquascape just yet so some of the plants are just sitting in random places, I'll be ordering the following T5HO bulb 48" Powerchrome Aquaflora, 48" Powerchrome Midday 6000k, and a 48" Zoo Med Flora Sun Max 5000k. I'll also be ordering a Eheim 2217 canister filter for the tank, and a Cerges Co2 Reactor.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I decided to tear down this tank, and switch it over to a saltwater setup with the following changes to equipment.

Lighting - Swapped out the 4 x 6500k bulbs with 2 x TrueLumens 460nm true actinic bulbs, and 2 x TrueLumens 12,000k bright white bulbs

Filtration - Odyssea CFS500 canister filter, and SunSun 420B w/ 9w UV light canister filter. Both filters will be filled with polyester fiberfill, and biomax media

Currently debating my water circulation, and if I'll even need the following equipment - I have 2 x AquaClear 30 powerheads, and a SunSun 800gph wavemaker. But I'm not sure I'll need them because the Odyssea CFS500 is rated at 500gph, and the SunSun 402B is rated at 264gph so I'll have the water turning over at 16.9 times per hour which is plenty of circulation.

But I'm thinking of buying a new 200w Hydor Theo submersible heater because I think the one I have now may be on the fritz because without it plugged in my tank averages 77* and if I plug it in it soars to 82*-83* even though it's set to 73*.

I've also ordered 40lbs of Bahama Aragonite Sand for $27 from Marco Rocks in Florida, and I'm going to order 50lbs of Florida Live Rock for the tank.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New pictures of the tank since I switch to saltwater!!!!

Old 01-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #4
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Guess I should update this once, and while lol!!!

I ordered 10lbs of some Caribbean Live Rock (ended up being close to 16lbs), added it to the tank, and picked up 12 artificial coral pieces. I'll get some new pictures of the tank this coming week...

Tank is cycled, and waiting for some live stock in it which should happen either Feb or March, I ran across some Snow Clownfish which had really amazing coloration to them and they only want $30 ea.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:29 AM   #5
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New pictures of the tank!!!!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 AM   #6
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I decided to move back into the planted tank side of the hobby, only because I seem to be more euphoric which is what's best because I have multiple sclerosis (diagnosed 2006), and having planted tanks seems to really relieve any daily stress that builds up.

So tomorrow I'll be tearing down the tank, giving it a really good rinse, rinsing all of the equipment, and get it ready to make the move back into planted. I mean I have a 100 gallon tank I still need to reseal it, but I can turn that tank into saltwater.

Last edited by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx; 01-25-2014 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: ...
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
I decided to move back into the planted tank side of the hobby, only because I'm seem to be more euphoric which is what's best because I have multiple sclerosis (diagnosed 2006)., and having planted tanks seems to really relieve any daily stress that builds up.

So tomorrow I'll be tearing down the tank, giving it a really good rinse, rinsing all of the equipment, and get it ready to make the move back into planted. I mean I have a 100 gallon tank I still need to reseal it, but I can turn that tank into saltwater.
I've never kept a marine tank but I agree with the therapeutic benefits of maintaining and viewing a planted tank.

Good luck with your new scape!
Hyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
exv152
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Have you considered using the 100g instead for your planted tank?
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
Have you considered using the 100g instead for your planted tank?

I have given it some thought, but it's a long ways before being fish ready. It needs to be resealed, water tested for leaks, water tested to make sure it can handle the force of the water without bowing because it's an older tank that was built without any sort of center brace.

Also it has no top for it because it was built back in the 80's there's no "plastic lip" to hold any sort of top, so I'll have to figure out how to modify the tank so I can use glass canopies.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

Research eurobracing a tank. An make sure you use structural "Adhesive" silicone. It's industrial grade stuff an despite everyone's supposed success with normal GE 1 "sealing" silicone, the industrial stuff is much much stronger and is just as safe for fish tanks. Scs1200 is a good brand/model can be found on amazon. Is a little more expensive, but in the long run, what worth more a 15$ tube of silicone or hundreds of $$ of water damage repairs?
Joshua
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got some GE RTV103 high performance black silicone because I prefer black silicone for my tanks because it looks better. The tank was made with 1/2" thick glass so the chances of it bowing out are slim, but I prefer to have glass canopies over my tank just incase a fish tries to jump lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.