Lava Rock?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-21-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I found lava rock, which is basically pumice, at Home Depot that was used for grills...would it be suitable for aquarium use? And how much would be sufficient to provide good biological action, as in quanitity per gallon? Or something like that? :?
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

I imagine its the same thing but I dont know if they treat the grill "lava" rock with anything so I am not going to say "yes" its the same.. my guess is yes though.
Lava rock has more surface area then pretty much anything else you can put in a tank for bacteria because of the porosity. I use it in small amounts in my filters as a media as well.
There is no formula to figure out how much you should use per gallon because nothing says you have to use it, but I think that its just another *plus for keeping my tanks healthy, not to mention it is great stuff for ferns and mosses to attach to. :lol:
Old 02-21-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

No, I'm planning to use it in the substrate...
Old 02-21-2004, 04:31 PM   #4
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

huh ?
Old 02-21-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

Pumice or lava rock, whichever you want to call it, is used in the substrate to "recycle nutrients" since they house beneficial bacteria...
Old 02-22-2004, 03:32 AM   #6
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've never heard of using lava rock in the substrate. Are you talking about rock shaped lava rock, or small pebble-type pieces?
Old 02-22-2004, 04:52 AM   #7
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

The lava rock for grills will work, as long as it's not treated with anything. Home depot also sells smaller bags of smaller sized pieces in the inside garden area.

The one problem with lava rock is that it's rather sharp, so take any bottom feeders into consideration.
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2004, 05:09 AM   #8
BobbyDrake
Algae Grower

I believe pumice floats. You may have trjouble using it as a substrate.

BTW: Random fact - Most of the pumice in the world comes from the island of Krakatoa which completely exploded in 1883. Pieces of the island wash up onshore on beaches aroudn the world to this day.
BobbyDrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #9
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
is used in the substrate to "recycle nutrients" since they house beneficial bacteria...
Every surface in your aquarium from wood , stone , equiptment , plants , gravel etc. has beneficial bacteria living on it... I think that using lava rock "in" or "as" a substrate might do more harm then good because of its naturally coarse design, it would probably trap more mulm then normal substrate.
Plus as Daemonfly allready said, it would tear up any bottom feeders badly. I dont see where you would gain any benefits by using it except for possibly a different look to the tank.
Unless Im still confused, do you mean just inserting a few small pieces into normal substrate or using an entire tank of it ?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:51 PM   #10
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDrake
I believe pumice floats. You may have trjouble using it as a substrate.

BTW: Random fact - Most of the pumice in the world comes from the island of Krakatoa which completely exploded in 1883. Pieces of the island wash up onshore on beaches aroudn the world to this day.
Hmmm.... if the island completely exploded where do they get the pumice from? I know they don't walk on beaches picking it up. I would highly suggest checking your facts on this one. I doubt that many pieces of pumice have been floating in the ocean for 121 years.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2004, 05:01 PM   #11
Aftica
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Actually Rex I have heard of Krakatoa and the monster volcanic eruption - apparently it was heard as far away as Australia and felt in England and France. (not a small explosion considering it was an Indonesian island)

Not sure on the floating pumice being around quite that long but there were stories of it being so thick that men could walk for miles and miles on top of the floating rocks in the ocean and reports of it for several years later etc...

I read up on it one time after seeing a show on discovery called "Mega-Tsunami" - apparently this explosion did create one with 40 meter waves.
Aftica is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2004, 05:06 PM   #12
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

I'm going to use under my normal substrate, basically I'm making a DIY Power Sand...it's a mix of mostly pumice and peat, mixed with laterite.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:11 PM   #13
mm12463
Algae Grower

So that's where Godzilla came from. Crap is always exploding in those movies. :lol:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.