Pruning and trimming
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 08-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Slippryrock
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pruning and trimming

I'd like to start a thread about pruning and trimming. I have been doing this on a serious note for about a year and finally have the set-up and knowledge to make things grow and i am having some real good success however when it comes to learning the particulars of grooming i'm falling short.
I can plant things where i want them but every plant is different and after seeing things get established things tend to morph a little from what i see in my minds eye. I know and have seen the changes in plants from light level, CO2 levels and ferts but when it comes to grooming them to either keep what i like or to groom them to fill in or stay short and compact or spread i am second guessing.
For example, Anacharis - it grows nice and then when it gets too tall i trim back about 4 to 6". After a few days it starts another shoot just below where i cut it. then i end up with a segmented stem. is that the nature of the beast ? will i have to keep constantly snipping and removing and then replanting to keep it the way i want it ?
My wife mentioned how pinching the tops of certain house plants and herb plants will make them grow bushier. Aside from light, CO2 and ferts how do people keep things tidy ? I'm very curious to hear everybody's techniques on various plants.
Slippryrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Hi Slippryrock,

Here is the guideline I use with good results.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Slippryrock
Algae Grower

THAT was a great thread thank you. Looks like i need to start looking at things from a different point of view when planning and planting if i apply those techniques. which sounds like what i can do comfortably with the species i have. I'm just a titch nervous about doing serious deforestation. it's like " yeah yeah, i love my set up, now lets hack it all to pieces"
I got a check list here for this attempt
sleeveless T shirt check
dry towel check
sharp scissors check
nerves of steel on back order
Old 08-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Hi Slippryrock,

ROFL; I left my nerves of steel in my other pants! I started doing just do one species to see how it responded; after a couple of weeks it had filled in nice and thick.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

I get some healthy stems or bushin going and then test. If you need to thin the bush, cut it down and keep half the bush as bottoms and half as tops. That way you can compare them side by side as they repair/ regrow.

Nothing beats experimentation.
jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Slippryrock
Algae Grower

great idea. also take pics as i go. i may come out of my shell and post them someday.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Jmlampert23
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

so are you planting the parts you cut off?
Jmlampert23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Slippryrock
Algae Grower

some, a select few. i bought small quantities to start with to see how they would do. if they do good i replant them. the last month or so i have been saving my clippings for a friend. but i am all out of room in my other tank to house them. last couple of clippings went in the trash. i'm starting to see this could take a few months of cutting, replanting, thinning and recutting to get everything just so. For a lazy dude i sure did pick a busy hobby.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Slippryrock,

Here is the guideline I use with good results.
Great info in this link however they do not discuss the risk of lowering your plant load too much at once resulting in my question of is there any risk of algae when doing this ? They do mention cutting back slightly on ferts...my guess is for this reason ?

I believe algae risk is not really of an issue with their hacking method but what about the uprooting when planting fresh cut stem tops in their place ? Wouldn't this run risk of ammonia sturring and thus yield algae risk ?

Or do you simply trim & replant in one specific area / group per week and do so just before water changes ? I think that's the answer based on a previous thread I started...

It would be great to see a "how to" video (indepth not vague) for something like this for the various aquascaping styles...do these exist ?

Thanks !
jfynyson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
jeffdenney
Planted Member

They talk a lot about stems, which is good because I learned a lot from the thread.

But.... what about trimming swords and crypts?? Do you trim them? I have an amazon sword that I like because it was one of my first plants but it gets way too big for my 25g. So I just wack off whole leaves from time to time.. dont know if thats right and it leaves a nasty plant base. Any articles on that?

25 gal.-api renastart xp1 anf xp2- 2 custom spraybars with diy inline heater and water change valve (so key!)-odyssea-4x24w t5ho. 4in raised.-injected co2 via up inline diffuser-florite and sane substrate.-java fern-amazon sword-marsilea minuta-water wisteria (crappy)-dwarf hair grass-anubias afanzeli (spellcheck)-telanthera cardinalis-10 tiger barbs-6 glofish tetras-7 otocinclus -1 german blue ram. females died.-2 albino corydoras. I know need 6
ei dosing and 6 hours light 100%
jeffdenney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdenney View Post
They talk a lot about stems, which is good because I learned a lot from the thread.

But.... what about trimming swords and crypts?? Do you trim them? I have an amazon sword that I like because it was one of my first plants but it gets way too big for my 25g. So I just wack off whole leaves from time to time.. dont know if thats right and it leaves a nasty plant base. Any articles on that?

25 gal.-api renastart xp1 anf xp2- 2 custom spraybars with diy inline heater and water change valve (so key!)-odyssea-4x24w t5ho. 4in raised.-injected co2 via up inline diffuser-florite and sane substrate.-java fern-amazon sword-marsilea minuta-water wisteria (crappy)-dwarf hair grass-anubias afanzeli (spellcheck)-telanthera cardinalis-10 tiger barbs-6 glofish tetras-7 otocinclus -1 german blue ram. females died.-2 albino corydoras. I know need 6
I have monsterous swords as well. It's my understanding that swords & crypts that one should "peel" the uwanted leaves / stem from at the base. It'll peel off like an onion and promote new growth. I did this wrong though when I battled algae in my swords and thus simply trimmed the stalks near the base...now it has a "pineapple" look which I need to go back and peel away as new healthy stalks / stems / leaves come in. However, I'd like to know as well if this is the correct method, how many stems on these type plants is getting in the realm of over crowding for a single plant. I know you can also peel / split the crypts off at the root level as they reproduce at that junction.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
jeffdenney
Planted Member

I did the same and now have the pineapple look as well lol.. I always wondered if yhe rotting leaves would affect water params so that was my main concern. Its hidden so only I know its goofy.

jeffdenney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
GeoJB
Algae Grower

Any one want to update the answer to the amazon sword trimming question?
What is the best way to trim these plants?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All three of my monster sords are filling back in very nicely after the "peeling" method. I also had someone with more experience with these swords to verify that they too "peel" the taller leaves off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.