How does it look? please critique.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
natebuchholz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How does it look? please critique.

Here is a pic of my second ever 40 gallon tall planted tank. I'm fairly new at this so any comments or advice would be appreciated! thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-29 13.51.17.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	229393  

natebuchholz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Is that corkscrew val in there? Looks good, and I would suggest some background plants. What plant are you using for the foreground?
andrewq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Legot
Planted Member

I think that once the ludwigia(?) and vals and other big plants grow in it will look good, I do think that your hardscape would look better if it was built up so that it reached just above the upper 3rd of the tank.

Is that a crab you have there?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
cowfish007
Algae Grower

Nice start. I think it would look better if there were some branches that reached higher in the tank, although once the plants grow in/up this may become moot.
cowfish007 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
natebuchholz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewq View Post
Is that corkscrew val in there? Looks good, and I would suggest some background plants. What plant are you using for the foreground?
Yes it is corkscrew val in two clumps. one on the left mid ground and the other in the center mid ground. The foreground is HC. Pretty typical I know......
Old 11-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
natebuchholz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
I think that once the ludwigia(?) and vals and other big plants grow in it will look good, I do think that your hardscape would look better if it was built up so that it reached just above the upper 3rd of the tank.

Is that a crab you have there?
Thanks for the feedback. The "ludwigia" that you are seeing (back right corner) is actually very new Rotala Macra green variety, if that is the plant you are taking about. Im hoping once my background plants grow more it should reach higher.... its so hard trying to scape a 40 tall. I bought it for cichlids originally.

Yes! I have 3 fiddlers.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
natebuchholz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfish007 View Post
Nice start. I think it would look better if there were some branches that reached higher in the tank, although once the plants grow in/up this may become moot.
Thanks for the comment! There is a couple background plants that aren't visible. A bulb of red tiger lotus in the left center background behind the driftwood and a crypt balanse that I accidentally decapitated. They are both growing like crazy and luckily the crypt is growing back after replanting the crown and giving it root ferts.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Good start.

One of the objections that is made about us as aquascapers here in the USA, us we don't use vertical space well. You might consider a few plants that will reach up into the top 1/3 of your tank.

That will give you a more dramatic look.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
natebuchholz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Good start.

One of the objections that is made about us as aquascapers here in the USA, us we don't use vertical space well. You might consider a few plants that will reach up into the top 1/3 of your tank.

That will give you a more dramatic look.
Thanks! I do love drama! Along with the red tiger lotus and crypt balanse I also have many healthy stems of giant hygro in the back left corner that should fill in very nicely and address that problem of not reaching the top 1/3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.