well guys...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

well guys...

I want to gut my 65 and re-do it, the same but better...

But... The crypts have only recently grown in the way I want, very dense grouping which leaves perfect cover for shrimpies, Cory. cats and all the albino strain pleco fry that I can never get around to catching.. the sword on the left used to be huge... It took up a whole beach towel with leaves and roots... I had to take it out to trim it... Innumerable amounts of crisp tough leaves.. now it's leggy and less than a dozen K deficient leaves are still there... Old stems are leggy for the most part... I think most of the hygro that I ripped out was outcompeting the other plants...

I don't know... Maybe some Epsom salt and some leaf zone for a couple weeks would even everything back out... That along with some extra little feedings to get the substrate hot again... I don't know... What to do... First off... Feeding that yellow Molly to my buddies red bellies... Then what? What would you do?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (49/100%)

I don't think you need to completely gut the tank and start over as the crypts look really nice the way they are. I would move the sword to the back or remove it completely. When you pull the sword out make sure you have a gravel siphon by the base of the plant to suck up all the gunk that comes up with the plant. Try planting the stems in groups towards the back and make sure any floaters don't block too much light.

What do you use to fertilize the substrate with? I made clay root tabs with added ferts that worked really good when using an inert substrate. I should have brought you some yesterday to try out. Let me know if you would like to try some out and I will send some to you. I like them better than using Osomocote + because you don't have to worry about the little balls floating around in your tank when you uproot them.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

I have used osmocote dirt ballls before, the little fert balls surface all the time in those tanks still...

The substrate here has some mixed in safetsorb, so the cec from that plus mulm is what I rely on. I use pinches of some stuff called GroFine every now and again... Along with occasional jobe's sticks.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
xand3rh0
Algae Grower

I know this isn't helpful from the standpoint of your question, but what is the plant in 2 bunches, just to the right of center at the front, which looks like a fan or a peacock's tail?
xand3rh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
sc91006
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

xand3rh0, I think they are Blyxa Japonica.
sc91006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
HSA1255
Algae Grower

I love this tank and think it's beautiful. Try to work with it and improve it that way. I'd move the sword over to the back right, then create a grouping of that pink/peach stem plant where the sword was. With that tall of a tank your light must be good... I'd plant or decrease some of your floaters so more light reaches the bottom. If you place the taller plants back farther, in a line (maybe a small wavy line so it's not rigid and perfect looking) across the back or a letter C across the back and hugging the sides it will show off the amazing forefront plants you have established.

I do like the diagonal line you have going across the tank with the plant height... if that sword was in the back on the left it may still hold the line and offer much more room to the fore front. It will be neat to see how you change it, if that's what you decide to do. Will look forward to updates on this thread.
HSA1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Well, I yanked most of the floaters for now, then I moved and removed some of the taller crypts... Moved M. quadrifolia to the spot the crypts were growing, ill probly toss in some pearlweed, to fill in that spot for now.

The sword was in the back right for a long time, I moved it to the left for better flow and lighting, it does seem to be perking back up a little. I was thinking it should get put back on the left, but I'm still on the fence.

Also, ripping out tons of hygro still... No wonder its illegal to ship... Although I do love and recommend the stuff, its such a weed and doesn't have the color it used to for me..

The bushy plant is probably blyxa, you'd have to ask Ua Hua, they're still new to me, they seem to be doing alright so far, one is much more vibrant than the other but they shrimp don't seem to mind, they're all over it. Its awesome cover for them.