Kwheeler's Double Stumpy Woodagumi-ish 55G- Video p.3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Kwheeler's Double Stumpy Woodagumi-ish 55G- Video p.3

I'm a member of the "Can't leave my tank alone for more than a few months" club. Thus, I have rescaped, though this one didn't happen due to boredom. My last scape was sabotaged by a couple of saimese algae eaters that like to eat new growth on fissidens. So sadly my last vision never came together and now I have a new one. The SAE's went to my buddy's tank today and I got the new hardscape more or less completed. I went back to a stumpy look with this one and I really like it. No plants yet but I plan to get it covered in a lot of fissidens. I'm contemplating putting some nljf in there but I don't want to take away from the hardscape too much. One way or the other its not finished yet but here are some quick and dirty phone pics. The water hasn't even settled yet but I'm proud of it and I couldnt resist

Last edited by kwheeler91; 07-01-2014 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: title change
kwheeler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
EndlerGame
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like the stump look, I've seen it on a few tanks around here lately. Is anything in there with the angels?
EndlerGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

Yeah there are
8 dwarf chain loaches
2 farlowellas
2 corydoras melanistius
1 rubberlip pleco
1 reticulated hillstream loach
And 2 danio kyathit

I did have 6 angels but I lost 4 in my recent move unfortunately. I'm planning on getting a school of something but I don't know what yet or have the money atm.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (68/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

I think that it looks great! all you need is some dwarf sag and some sword plants... you would have a great South American tank. I wouldn't even bother with NLJF. Sometimes the minimalist approach is more dramatic, you know?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

The minimalistic look was what I was going with before and I think I'm gonna do the same this go round. The wood and rocks look really good by themsleves and once its mossy, I hope it gets mossy anyway, it will look like I want it. I just have a bunch of nljf in the ten gallon below the 55 that I don't have a use for lol.

I do want a carpet I'm just too broke for co2 and I don't want stuff that's really tall like dwarf sag gets. I was thinking I could get by with some MM and diy co2 buts its hard to keep it buried in larger grain sizes and having bottom feeders. Maybe a rotala green "carpet" would work if I kept it trimmed but I don't any of that either

If anyone want to trade r . Green for ludwigia brevipes x lacustris or nlfj let me know.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

Small update with another phone pic. I planted a bunch of ludwigia to keep algae at bay while I get things figured out. I got an aquatop 300 last year but haven't used it because the flow wasn't enough. So I got a koralia 850 today to keep things moving in the tank and im going to get the canister set up this weekend. So long noisy hob filters! My hope is with the canister and koralia I can hook up diy co2 without having to worry about it being gassed out by the hob's and get a carpet growing.

I still have to attach my fissidens to the rest of the wood and the plan is to have rotala green as the background/midground and I want to try elatine triandra for foreground. The success of that plan is contingent on how well I'm able to supply co2 with a diy set up. I havent had good luck with it in this tank during previous attempts but I'm hoping gettng rid of the hob's will alleviate the problem. Thanks for checking out the tank
Old 11-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

I hope your plan works out for you. this scape has alot of potential to become one of the best on TPT here lately. Im not putting anyones efforts down, those stumps are just really cool.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

Thank you chad, those are some kind words! Not to toot my own horn, but the hardscape is sweet
Old 11-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #9
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

I agree. Ive always been a sucker for the stump look and the manzy is getting old fast.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

Go for it! A good stumpy rescape does the soul well.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

Its in the works. I bought a new chainsaw (Mwahaha....) and I want to cut a whole stump in 1/2 and silicone it to the back glass. If I silicone it, it would have to be the perfect piece though. I wish pieces like yours were easier to come by around here.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #12
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

Pieces like mine aren't easy to come by anywhere. And that's because its actually about 13 individual pieces of malaysian that I've collected over the last 4 or 5 years, they just happened to come together perfectly this time I do have a pretty nice collection of wood I have found locally though. I live in a town with an awesome fishery, dubbed the walleye capital of the world but thats not even the half of it, and it would be wrong of me not to fish in good ol lake erie as much as possible and keep an eye out for sweet pieces of dw while I'm at it.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #13
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

Oh and I got my canister set up today. It took entirely way too long to get it primed but its totally worth being rid of the loudest filters known to man. I might not even be able to sleep because its so quiet now lol.

Soon as I get a few extra bucks I want to try diy acrylic pipes because the green crap the aquatops come with is hideous.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Kudos to a fellow stump tanker
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

Thank you johnny. Stopped by to check out your stumpy goodness