How many pressurized CO2 bubbles for a 46 gallon freshwater?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-20-2004, 02:50 AM   #1
Mr. B
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello great ones,

I have a 46 gallon freshwater bow tank, with 7 varieties of medium sized plants, rooted in a 50/50 mix of Flourite & Eco-complete, with 60 watts of lighting on for 12 hours a day. I just received my CO2 kit, and had a 5 lb. CO2 tank filled.

Can someone please help me on how many bubbles (per second?) I should start out with? For now, I'm just going to inject the bubbles using my old "bubble stairway" I have from my old "Hagen CO2 yeast injection kit", but a reactor (or injection through my Eheim canister input), is probably in my future as soon as I can learn a bit more about CO2 first. In other words, I don't want to kill every fish in sight, so the somewhat ineffective staircase method will "buffer" my CO2 input for now.

A Milwaukee pH monitor for the CO2 on/off solenoid is on backorder as well, so for now, I want to start out with a somewhat "safe" bubble count, then gradually increase.

Any recommendations for a newbie at pressurized CO2? I honestly haven't a clue. I will gladly answer any questions that would be of more help if I missed something.

Thanks a million tiny bubbles!

Bill
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 02:53 AM   #2
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

I would probably start with 30 bubbles a minute and test your PH every few hours till it hits your target point based on your kh reading. If it doesnt drop enough up it to 45 bubbles per minute, etc.

Jason
Old 02-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #3
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Yep, follow Wellbiz...because the only correct answer is "as many as it takes to get to the right CO2 levels"
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #4
salito718
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to salito718

60 watts of light? uhh that is not enough light for co2 injection, I would go zero bubbles per minute with that lighting set up, on a 46 gallon tank........
salito718 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2004, 08:55 PM   #5
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

co2 injection will still help the plants, not as much as with highlight, but it is still beneficial.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.