My First Tank Build - 55g - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 AM   #16
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Have you looked at Build My Led fixtures? I have four, one on my 55g, and they are great pictures.
I actually did look at that site a few months back but it was a little confusing to me as I really didn't know much about it at the time. What setup do you have for your 55g? Any pictures of it as well? Also, thanks for the info!
pyrosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #17
EndlerGame
Planted Member

I also had a 55g for my first planted tank. I really like the scape you have set up. Jungle Val might look good among those upright pieces of driftwood. I had a forest of Jungle Val with a school of Harlequin rasboras, and it was a very nice display. If you are interested in rasboras, I can guarantee you would not regret having a large school of those fish in a lushly planted environment.
EndlerGame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #18
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

yeah definitely get some huge tall plants next to the wood. The grey stones are the right look too... unnatural in comparison to the left side of the tank, try not to make it so straight looking. besides that I love the start!
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #19
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlerGame View Post
I also had a 55g for my first planted tank. I really like the scape you have set up. Jungle Val might look good among those upright pieces of driftwood. I had a forest of Jungle Val with a school of Harlequin rasboras, and it was a very nice display. If you are interested in rasboras, I can guarantee you would not regret having a large school of those fish in a lushly planted environment.
Hey EndlerGame, thanks for the great input! I've seen the Jungle Val in quite a few pictures and never knew what it was called. Great to hear some feedback about rasboras as well! How many did you have in your tank? Did you order them or get them from your LFS?
Old 11-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post
yeah definitely get some huge tall plants next to the wood. The grey stones are the right look too... unnatural in comparison to the left side of the tank, try not to make it so straight looking. besides that I love the start!
Thanks Jonnywhoop, yeah it took me quite a while working on the scaping to get it where it currently is and I was trying to make it not so perfect looking. Fortunately still have some time to move things around as I'm still waiting to order the lighting fixture.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #21
Terminalance
Algae Grower

Quote:
Just wanted to note that I got a hold of Finnex and they told me they are currently out of the 48" Ray 2 LEDs. They said they should have more in stock in early November and they would notify me when they are in stock. Obviously this puts a small damper on my build for the time being but it will give me a little more time for additional research.
You have a 55 gallon tank with a center brace, have you thought about 2, 24" lights? It may be a little more expensive but it's more versatile.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #22
Terminalance
Algae Grower

Actually just looked it up and there is about a $100 difference between the 48" and the 2, 24". I wouldn't suggest that lol.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminalance View Post
Actually just looked it up and there is about a $100 difference between the 48" and the 2, 24". I wouldn't suggest that lol.
Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless! Lol I did minimal research on two 24" lights so I didn't know they were actually cheaper until you mentioned it!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #24
TyrannosaurusSex
Planted Member

Putting the drifwood upright definitely adds a more dynamic feeling to the tank than if they were lying down flat at the bottom. But having the three tallest pieces all next to each other at 90 degree angles to the base makes the setup look a little uniform, in my opinion. Have you tried angling one or two of the pieces?
TyrannosaurusSex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #25
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusSex View Post
Putting the drifwood upright definitely adds a more dynamic feeling to the tank than if they were lying down flat at the bottom. But having the three tallest pieces all next to each other at 90 degree angles to the base makes the setup look a little uniform, in my opinion. Have you tried angling one or two of the pieces?
I did play around with the idea of angles to the sides and will definitely look into that. I'm just very limited as there is quite a bit of buried driftwood from the two larger pieces standing upright.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #26
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Good news everyone! Finally have a fresh update now that life has decided to stop taking over. Finnex finally got the 48" Ray 2 Daylight back in stock and I placed my order for one this morning. Scheduled arrival date is this upcoming Thursday! Hooray :-)
Old 11-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #27
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Smile

Great news, ordered the light Monday morning and received it yesterday when I got home from work. Here is a photo of the new Finnex Ray 2 I got resting on top of the tank without the side lifts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-19 18.14.51.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	237169  

Old 11-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Thanks to Neontetras4me I will have some UG coming in tomorrow for the front right side of my tank. I'm thinking about putting some hair grass on the right side of the tank as well behind the rock formation so that it will fill in some of that background space. Trying to decide whether to do moss or glosso on the left side between the rocks and vertical driftwood.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #29
sdylanh
Algae Grower

You're giving me some nice inspiration here for a makeover on my 55g. I am one of many that struggle with effectively scaping the wide and narrow footprint here, but I love the affect of the vertical driftwood. I have a decent amount of wood as well that I may be able to rig up vertical as well. I like it!
sdylanh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #30
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Thank you very much! I've been getting some nice compliments about the vertical driftwood and after trying to lay some down on it's side it just didn't give me the same feel I was going for. Yeah I will say even though this is my first tank, it was not easy coming up with the layout for the driftwood and stones. I spent quite a few hours putting it all together, but I love the way it has turned out so far!

Got the UG in the mail and placed it around on the front right side of the tank. Ordered some Giant hairgrass for some background feel behind the rocks and in between the vertical driftwood on the left. I ordered some glosso for the left side of the tank around the stones and driftwood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.