Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 44
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #646
Jiinx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

seeing your tank always motivates me to do something to my tank, Don beautiful photos.

Do you have a species list for your flora and fauna? What are your opinions for the humble planted tank enthusiasts, like moi, who want to grow crypt flamingo? Is it do-able?

sarah
Jiinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #647
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)

Beautiful as always Don. I really am liking the Selaginella. How long has it been submersed and is it a true aquatic? I have some of the true sagitaria sublata and it is a painfully slow grower but I like that about it. Better than trimming every week like I have to do with the elatine triandra.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #648
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Hi, and thank you, Sarah! I don't keep an active species list for my flora or fauna. It is always evolving and I don't have much time to keep track of everything in a list form. If someone is interested in something they see in a picture, I'll ID it for them. It's good enough. I'm also busy with other projects, and time is not very plentiful right now.

Regarding the Flamingo: I don't really know how to answer that question. If you have a high tech set up with all of the bells and whistles, keep a nice few-inch barrier around it where other heavy-root feeders don't come into, and keep the leaves from getting a lot of detritus build up on them, then it doesn't seem too finicky. However, it does seem to take some time to get established, and I won't feel very comfortable recommending it for a novice to try until I get get a few generations of daughter plants. It was suggested by a buddy of mine that the mutation may not be very stable, so it should prove to be interesting to see what happens over time with this crypt.

Hey Ua Hua! How've you been? Yes, the Selaginella species can survive very nicely completely submersed. It will climb the mosses and branches without any problem, and grow emmersed as well, but it won't climb any more than an inch out of the water where it still saturated by water.

I do like the true sag as well. It's very easy to keep and control, and as I have much less time nowadays to fuss with the tank, it is a perfect choice for my tank as well.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #649
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Don - Congrats on the Crypt Pink Flamingo.

When those became available you were on my short list of people that I felt might be able to get it to survive.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #650
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thank you for the vote of confidence, Frank! I was hesitant to try, and I'm glad that I gave in finally to buy Lenny's when it became available. It's been worth the minor gamble!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #651
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Tank looks sexy as ever.
And I see at least one Neoregelia is doing well. Never seen em that pink.
And that C. flamingo, woah.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #652
keats
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

This is awesome.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:41 AM   #653
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thanks Marko! Actually, all neos are doing extremely well. I've had three that have produced daughters...they just aren't easy to see some of the time. I'll have to take some pictures solely of them so you can see. Yours are doing really nicely!!

Hi Keats, and thank you for saying so!
Old 10-31-2013, 02:13 AM   #654
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Lookin good bro! Never heard of Selaginella before, haven't been really active around here for a while but winter is coming and that means its fish tank time Anyway I wanted to ask what the requirements are for that plant and if it attaches well?
Old 10-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #655
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Hey kwheeler! Long time no see! I haven't been around much either over the past few months, myself. No worries!

Selaginella species commonly grow in very humid and moist terrarium or vivarium setup. I have a few that are hardening to conditions around my cool mist humidifier right now that I will take pictures of. All of them are terrestrial species, as far as I know, EXCEPT for this one, which will start to die completely once it is about an inch from water. It will grow a little emergent, but even the tops will dry out once it grows out from the waterline. So, this is almost certainly an aquatic species. It prefers to be submersed.

It doesn't seem to attach easily to driftwood or stone. I learned that the trick is to grow this on top of moss that has been wrapped around a branch. Under bright light light, the moss seems to survive alright, even as the Selaginella quickly covers it as it grows. This species really seems to thrive in my high light and pressurized CO2 system. It probably would do fine with average kH, even though my kH is probably really low. PH is slightly acidic in my tank, so neutral values are tolerable. It needs good flow in order to keep debris from clinging to the leaves. Otherwise, normal ferts are fine. The limiting factor probably is the lighting. I do not think that this plant would do really well under weak lighting.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #656
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

I see... I wonder if you could maybe tie some terrarium type sphagnum onto the wood and then the selaginella, or is it the growth of the base moss grabbing hold of the selaginella that keeps it in place?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #657
cownose-ray
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

DAMN.

This is the most amazing tank I've ever seen. Just beautiful.
cownose-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #658
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Kwheeler - I think that it is the latter which is happening. You could try Hygrolon tied to driftwood and see if that works. LFS in water probably wouldn't be a great idea for long term growth as it would disintegrate, eventually. I may try the Hygrolon, just to see if it would work.

Cownose Ray - thank you very much! :-)
Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #659
teddo10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Congrats on a very very nice setup!
Somehow i missed this journal up till now, just read almost all 44 pages of it.
I especialy like the underwater jungle look of it.
I have never been a fan of the real clean scaped tanks, and this is a nice example of how a tank can look "junglestyle".
It inspires me to try to get a junglelook within the parameters i have set myself. Thanks for that.
teddo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #660
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Hi teddo!

Thank you very much! I haven't been on here often as of late; just popped in for a picture update, so it is probably very easy to not catch this thread. Thank you for spending so much time with it, and I am glad that you liked the read.

I've not been one to try an Iwagumi or perfectly manicured tank. Both are very nice to look at, and require some pretty intense trimming and maintenance; they are art forms, but they don't tend to keep my eye for too long. Rarely, are any of them truly unique....and likely the one reason why I've tried to blend aspects of the hobby, mostly Dutch along with "collectoritis" tanks to create something memorable, at least to me. I feel that if everything is laid out in a tank to see, then there is no reason to search to find anything else that might not be as obvious when the viewer is looking at the tank the first time. It is also a combination of multiple angles and intersect points. Mostly, though, it just "does it's thing" and is pretty undemanding. Which is good for a lazy guy like myself.