Will this work for a Lace Java Fern?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Wannaberooted
Green is good

PTrader: (0/0%)

Will this work for a Lace Java Fern?

I have a healthy green rhizome with two tiny leaves starting, and one partially melted old leaf, that's it. It used to be a nice small Windelov, but I had a big problem in October, and I just plain did the wrong thing in a few instances to crash my tank. I know what I did wrong, and things are growing nicely again.

I had it on some too smooth river rocks I think, and it never grabbed on like the other ferns in the tank. After it got uprooted again, I stuck the end of the rhizome into small hole in a piece of Mopani driftwood. So far the Cory's haven't dislodged it, but is in the side of the driftwood, not the top. It does get almost primo light as far as the tank goes, low light, just sideways sort of.

Will this be OK and the plant will figure it out? Thanks for any help. Here's a picture of it, just below the catfish:
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_2311.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	68705
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

As long as the rhizome is still getting light, the plant will be fine and eventually figure out which way is up

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Well I'd say almost a half inch is stuck in the hole, and is probably getting zero light. About 1.5 inches tucks around the wood close in an almost perfect spot considering it isn't anchored with anything.

Plants are pretty savvy, mine keep amazing me despite me. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Wannaberooted; 01-18-2013 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: plants
Wannaberooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
beginragnarok
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Recognizing and correcting your mistakes is a large part of the battle with planted tanks in my opinion. I think with patience it will be just fine. If there is water flow around the rhizome and a bit of ferts it will be growing nicely very soon.

Love the corydoras palaetus! I have six currently and enjoy them so much.
Emersed Tub Club meber #15
beginragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #5
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Thank you, I am dosing API Leaf Zone and CO2 Booster now as directed, things are much better. Too much decaying plant matter and probably overfeeding equals bad. Throw in some inappropriate medicine and kill your bacteria equals much worse. A lot of studying, vaccuuming, and water changes got things back in line and I was able to save six Harlequins. They are some tough fish, I tell you what.

Tetra Safestart is a wonderful thing, the new cycle went quite fast. Kinda pricey, but it was an emergency and lives were at stake.

I also added a Top Fin 10g HOB filter on the other side of the tank from the 20g one, supposedly moving 180gph on a 20 with both, but we all know how that goes. It sure seems to help though and still very quiet. I figure I can alternate changing filters and not lose my nitrifying bacteria. I think I'm on the right track now anyway.

Yup I love Cory's too. Except when they uproot my little Java Fern. So far it's still in the hole so I'll leave it there and hope for the best.

Last edited by Wannaberooted; 01-19-2013 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: because it needed to be edited?
Wannaberooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:29 AM   #6
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Default An update

The rhizome stayed there for a month or so, and then fell off again. I then placed it in a new spot and it did nothing. Until now, 9 months later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	105.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	228833

IT'S GROWING!

I guess it just goes to show, don't give up on a healthy rhizome.