Which would be better, pressurized CO2 or more light?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Dobie Swift
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Which would be better, pressurized CO2 or more light?

Good day...

I am in the 3rd week of fishless cycling my new 40 breeder. Things are going well, I am converting ammonia to nitrites. So far I have planted quite a bit of DHG, an amazon sword, a nana and a single water onion. I am currently running a single 36" Satellite LED+ which puts me on the lower end of low/medium. I am also running DIY CO2 and dosing EI. I have enough money right now to buy either some additional lighting or a used pressurized CO2 setup (10# tank with Azoo reg+solenoid). At this point, which would be the better investment?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Without reading the text of the post, my answer is CO2.

After reading the text, still CO2.

The thing is that if you add more light, you'll likely need pressurized CO2 (without CO2 you'll be running an algae farm).

CO2 always helps. More light often causes more problems than it's worth. Which is why I felt comfortable answering without reading the text in the first place.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
rezco
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

CO2 is better as it favors plants over growth of algae. Lighting will favor both algae and plants so most hobbyists end up adding CO2 to boost plant growth.

My personal preference is not to spend on lighting wattage but to increase light hours instead.

For all you nitpickers - yes algae is a plant too, but you know what I am talking about
rezco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I say buy another Sat+ and a gallon of Glut (metricide 14). At your current light level, you'll be limited to the amount of plants that can be grown. I think your DHG will struggle.. probably stay alive but nothing more.

With additional light you'll open up the possibilities. Plus , the Sat+ lights are dimmable. With DIY co2 and Glut, you'll be able to fend off algae and give your plants a sufficient carbon source.

After a while, when you save up again, a pressurized co2 system would be a good investment. As of now, the lower light levels makes it less important to invest pressurized when glut can be substituted.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

CO2 all the way. DHG does not require high lighting!!! Root tabs and EI dosing with good CO2 and you'll have a dense carpet in 2-3 months.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Okay..I take back the DHG comment. I've grown e. Parvula in various lighting conditions and it did much better and carpeted in faster with more intense light. It stayed alive in low light for me and hardly sent runners. But, seriously.. pressurized co2 at low light? Excel or Glut does just fine. Get to a solid moderate to high light, then CO2 all the way. The Glut coupled with DIY CO2 can provide an adequate cushion until pressurized can be added later. Just sayin'
Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I would say pressurized CO2. Even if you don't "need co2" (I hate that phrase), CO2 will always be beneficial. I have found that just about the easiest way to have an easy to maintain aquarium with very healthy plants is to have enough light to grow plants without getting algae and adding CO2. Then you can up the light later if you are having trouble with red plants or carpet plants. I highly recommend for anyone who has not used CO2 on a non high light tank to give it a try. Can you grow everything, no, but you can grow more than one would think and it's about 20x easier. I sometimes kick myself for not doing this but only having one tank with CO2 atm, I want high light.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Dobie Swift
Algae Grower

Just verifying that everyone saying "co2" caught that I am running DIY co2. I am getting some co2 into the tank, but not what I'd get with pressurized.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Swift View Post
Just verifying that everyone saying "co2" caught that I am running DIY co2. I am getting some co2 into the tank, but not what I'd get with pressurized.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
I caught that

I have 6 tanks going on right now... certainly less than some other folks. My problem is that they're all in different rooms. 3 of which, I run pressurized. 1 DIY co2 + Glut, and the last 2 with just Glut only. If I ran pressurized co2 on every tank, regardless of light intensity, I'd be more broke than I am now! LOL

Anyway, I think with your light levels, your DIY co2 setup coupled with Glut would do just fine. Then you can reap the benefits of running two Sat+ lights (which means more growing potential and plant species). With the Dual and Pro Ramp Timers around the corner, more possibilities open up! These lights are fun and are like the smartphones of FW lighting.

Here's a prime example of a higher lit tank with just using Glut, no co2. I'm friends with this person and know she has no algae when she ran her tank like this.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/januar...ted-community/
Old 10-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

hmm Working with what you have, getting a pressurized co2 setup would be the next logical step. Regulator, co2 tank size and diffusor selection will be fun

The only suggestion around the co2 setup is to avoid the paintball and 2.5# tank setups. they arent economically the best options unless space is a luxury.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:43 AM   #11
Dobie Swift
Algae Grower

A local has a 10# tank with an Azoo regulator/solenoid for $100. Probably go that route. I should be able to swing the second Satellite LED+ in December.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #12
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Check craigslist for co2 tanks there can be some deals to be had there. I've seen 20 lb tanks for 20 bucks before
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co2, diy, lighting