Lava hard scape pave rocks... Safe for tanks?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Charrr89's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitmore, Hawaii
Posts: 784
Default

Lava hard scape pave rocks... Safe for tanks?


So I purchased some at an unbelievable $2! For the amount I got, if I went to a lfs would have costed me like $40. The employee said it was safe but I wanted another opinion before i take the plunge. I will soak it in water for a bit as he recommended.... But someone else Lso told me that it will leech all kinds of bad stuff.. Any opinions?


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free this is the only picture I have at the moment..
__________________

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Fishnshrimp2
Algae Grower
 
Fishnshrimp2's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.GA
Posts: 133
Default

Not sure if it is the same thing, but I use the small lava rock from lowes in some of my aquariums with no ill effects. I just rinse it off before use. I also attached my java fern to a piece.
Fishnshrimp2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Aplomado's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 704
Default

Show us a picture?
Aplomado is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Charrr89's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitmore, Hawaii
Posts: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplomado View Post
Show us a picture?
Image posted
__________________

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Charrr89's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitmore, Hawaii
Posts: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnshrimp2 View Post
Not sure if it is the same thing, but I use the small lava rock from lowes in some of my aquariums with no ill effects. I just rinse it off before use. I also attached my java fern to a piece.
The employee told me they package rocks and such for lowes and stuff... Did you soak yours? I plan to use my rocks in a shrimp tank... It scares me a little though because the shrimp are far more important than me than te rocks
__________________

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Aplomado's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 704
Default

Those are nice! Where did you get them?

I've used lava rock without issue.

Last edited by Aplomado; 10-29-2013 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: more info
Aplomado is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru
 
lochaber's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,160
Default

If it's lava rock, it should be just fine, and generally won't leach anything.

Most lava rock is basically the same mineral composition as basalt, just full of bubbles and cooled to quickly for visible crystals to form. Not real sure what type you have, it looks a bit lighter then typical basalt. Probably something more like granite/diorite or something. Nothing that can really leach out of it.

About the only exception I can think of is if the lava rock was gathered from a carbonate-rich area, and some of the carbonates had washed over/deposited on the lava rock, but that would probably be visible.

It might be worth soaking and scrubbing with a brush if it looks dirty, but other then that, should be good to put in the tank.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Charrr89's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitmore, Hawaii
Posts: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplomado View Post
Those are nice! Where did you get them?

I've used lava rock without issue.
Here in hawAii we have a hard scaping store called "geobunga" the guy is nice... I even picked up some "fish safe root tabs" I'm not sure what I'm going to test it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
If it's lava rock, it should be just fine, and generally won't leach anything.

Most lava rock is basically the same mineral composition as basalt, just full of bubbles and cooled to quickly for visible crystals to form. Not real sure what type you have, it looks a bit lighter then typical basalt. Probably something more like granite/diorite or something. Nothing that can really leach out of it.

About the only exception I can think of is if the lava rock was gathered from a carbonate-rich area, and some of the carbonates had washed over/deposited on the lava rock, but that would probably be visible.

It might be worth soaking and scrubbing with a brush if it looks dirty, but other then that, should be good to put in the tank.
Thanks.. I'm replacing my Ohko stone. Sadly can't afford to buy more Ohko stone as why I'm switching out for these lava rocks... Ohko stones r beautiful but also hard to find nice pieces you can work with... Plus mine are covered in fissidens! Haha
__________________

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ameri,CA
Posts: 575
Default

I have these same rocks in my pond. It's about 75 gallons and I uesd the rock to line the bottom and sides.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
Fishnshrimp2
Algae Grower
 
Fishnshrimp2's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.GA
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
The employee told me they package rocks and such for lowes and stuff... Did you soak yours? I plan to use my rocks in a shrimp tank... It scares me a little though because the shrimp are far more important than me than te rocks
My rocks were the red lava rock. I just rinsed them off with water and a new toothbrush() because they were a little dusty from shipping. My shrimp love them.
Fishnshrimp2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012