How long does 2kg CO2 last @ 1bpm?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Jeynesey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How long does 2kg CO2 last @ 1bpm?

Hi all. Just a quick question regarding how long your CO2 lasts. Any examples more than welcome, e.g. a 2kg fire extinguisher running at 1 bubble per min (edit, I meant per second) as an example.

Any example of how often you have to change your tank with x amount of useage would be much appreciated - I don't need anything massively specific, just a rough idea.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jeynesey; 10-31-2013 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Correction on minutes to seconds
Jeynesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

There are too many variables here; how long is your CO2 on for? Bubble size (i.e. how are you counting the bubbles)?

Of course, more importantly, is your entire setup completely leak free?

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/se...rchid=16804513
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Jeynesey
Algae Grower

That search link doesn't work. Sorry if I have missed some often discussed topic but I can't find anything with anything I'm searching for.

I'm not after anything massively accurate, just a rough estimate for 8 hours a day, using a proper bubble counter. I have done DIY in the past and didn't like it - I just want to do it properly and I'm deciding between the different sizes of fire estinguisher / cannister.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

Get the biggest tank you can fit/afford.

Search for the words in the title: how, long, and co2. There's like fifty threads on it.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

Why would you want 1 bubble per minute? That won't affect anything.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #7
urbach
Planted Member

Maybe he referring to 1 bubble per second. Lowest you can go is about 0.5 bubble per seconds.
urbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbach View Post
Maybe he referring to 1 bubble per second. Lowest you can go is about 0.5 bubble per seconds.
0.5 bubbles per second = 1 bubble every 2 seconds.

It is possible to achieve lower rates with a good metering valve.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Jeynesey
Algae Grower

Yes I meant per second, I must have had beats per minute stuck in my head from music.

Anyway, I searched "How long CO2" and after 10 mins of reading, none of the threads answer the question.

I dunno why it's so hard to just say "I run a 2kg at 2bps for 8 hours and I refill it every 6 months", rather than taking the trouble to post twice about how I should be searching for something that's clearly not as easy to find as you think it is. I've searched google and on here and can't find an answer.

Thank you.

edit p.s. - Darkblade, though I can't see the answer to this particular question in it, I found this thread of yours which is very good, so will save that to read later - thanks for writing it. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107312
Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
Positron
Planted Member

I have a 5lb canister. 2 kg is equal to 4.8 lbs. I run two tanks with co2 on 11 hours a day. The canister lasts about 3 months.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 AM   #11
Jeynesey
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
I have a 5lb canister. 2 kg is equal to 4.8 lbs. I run two tanks with co2 on 11 hours a day. The canister lasts about 3 months.
Excellent, thanks very much. How many bubbles per second total?
Old 10-31-2013, 04:57 AM   #12
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeynesey View Post
Yes I meant per second, I must have had beats per minute stuck in my head from music.

Anyway, I searched "How long CO2" and after 10 mins of reading, none of the threads answer the question.

I dunno why it's so hard to just say "I run a 2kg at 2bps for 8 hours and I refill it every 6 months", rather than taking the trouble to post twice about how I should be searching for something that's clearly not as easy to find as you think it is. I've searched google and on here and can't find an answer.

Thank you.

edit p.s. - Darkblade, though I can't see the answer to this particular question in it, I found this thread of yours which is very good, so will save that to read later - thanks for writing it. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107312
You're missing the point. It is going to be wildly different for everyone. Your bubbles, my bubbles and the bubbles of Fred down the street are all going to be different. There is no "ballpark" answer to your question.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
Jeynesey
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
You're missing the point. It is going to be wildly different for everyone. Your bubbles, my bubbles and the bubbles of Fred down the street are all going to be different. There is no "ballpark" answer to your question.
If there is no answer to the question, why tell me to go and search for an answer to the question?

If 10 people gave their stats / timescales, that's as good an estimation as it's possible to get and is vastly more accurate than me just guessing. As far as I know at this stage, a 1kg bottle at 1bps could last anywhere between a month and a year; I have literally no idea.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeynesey View Post
As far as I know at this stage, a 1kg bottle at 1bps could last anywhere between a month and a year; I have literally no idea.
Unfortunately, thats your answer. I know thats a little frustrating but theres no reason to not buy the biggest size tank you can fit and afford.

BPS is more for making individual adjustments on your specific set up, a visual aid lets call it. Its there so you can visually check the increases/decreases youve made, thats it.

Heres an example, lets say you refill your co2 tank and have to readjust your needle valve/pressure. Previously you were running your tank at 10psi and 2bps so you know you can set the pressure back to 10psi and adjust the needle valve back to 2bps and youll be back injecting at the same rate you were before.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

I'll give a ballpark estimate of lasting 10 months, assuming your bubbles are average sized ones coming out of common bubble counters, running about 8 hrs a day.