Leaking tank!!! Omgwtfish!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Leaking tank!!! Omgwtfish!

So my 40B is leaking somewhere, and really cant tell where its coming from. The water is building up under the tank, and coming out of the bottom right front corner. In between bottom of tank, and top of stand. I hope that makes sense. Also on the floor at the base of the stand, front right corner. Which makes me think my tanks not level

First I checked filters for leaks, bubblewand, air pump, and nothing. Removed 50% of the water and moved everything. Then I thoroughly inspected the tank and stand for leaks, and nothing! I found some water on the floor on one side of the tank, but I think the water on the floor was just from me cleaning the tank the day before. Regardless its leaking somewhere.

So I called petsmart, and first person told me no. Decided to look into the manufacture, and that was a dead end. I did find out though that TOPFIN fish tanks have a lifetime guarantee. Couldnt find any phone number for TOPFIN, and there was so many different opinions on who really builds the tanks. So determined, and new knowledge in my bag. I decided to call petsmart back. As soon as I mentioned lifetime guarantee, the very nice manager at told me he would exchange my tank for a new one. I've had the tank for about 6 months and was surprised to hear a yes to my request . Sweet, now comes the fun part of taking everything out

I have alot of questions about doing this. My idea was one bucket of fish( I have about 40 fish of various speicies), plants, and filter media. Lots of plants! Another bucket of substrate, and additional bucket of just tank water.

I have about 50lbs of eco complete already in the tank, and was going to add another 20lbs. Is it ok to just to place new EC on the bottom of tank, and then established EC on top of it? Will this cause a mini cycle? Do I need to keep an eye on parameters daily? Is my planning ok? Any suggestions as I have never had to do this before? Also Im guessing this is pretty much the same thing as transitioning from one tank to another.
andrewq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think you took good precaution by removing half the water. I did this to my 55g tank and it stopped my leaking actually. Took pressure off the busted seal until I could break it down.

I recall seeing that Top Fin is made by All Glass in which is owned by Aqueon now. I don't bother acknowledging lifetime warranties for tanks. They are easily resealable by the average hobbyist. But if its easier to return for a replacement, then go for it.

40 fish in a 40g breeder may be pushing it. I don't know all the details about your setup but 40 sounds like a heck of alot.

If you found water on the floor from several days ago, it should have evaporated by now. This will take more thorough searching. Look in the seams along the whole bottom of the tank. It may take a flashlight to see it if it indeed is a seal break.

If you disturb the EC that is already in place, you will disturb the colonies. Your better off putting the new on top in layers over a period of time. Its not worth it to pull up the old substrate so that it can be on top of the same exact substrate. And yes monitor your tank.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Sometimes hob's or light stands will create a little capillary siphon when the tank is really full. I've also had tanks where the mitered joint on the top rim was not siliconed and the same dumb thing would happen. If your tank only leaks when it's really super full, this is probably why.
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have 2 aquaclear 70 hob, and the majority of the fish are small. Neons, kuhli loaches, cories and otos. I do have a couple rams too. Never had any problems with ammonia or the water parameters. Also everyone gets along fine.

This morning I checked the tank for leaks, and theres nothing. Is it possible that moving the tank around could have fixed the leak? temporarily? Should I still do a thorough investigation of the tank?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also if I empty the tank and just reseal it. Isnt replacing it the same thing. Never resealed a tank, and would rather just get a new one. Petsmarts right down the street from me
Old 10-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

Resealing it might help, but that's going to be a lot of work, to strip out all the old silicone and clean and punt new fillets in. And that just covers the inner part of the tank, there is still going to be the leak/gap inbetwixt the glass panes.

If they will exchange it, I'd just do that. You'll also have your tank running again quicker that way, as you won't have to wait for the silicone to cure.

And you can be more confident about a new tank then a resealed leaky tank.

Before you set up the new tank, make sure you put some foam under it, and level the tank. If you don't have a level, you can use the trim in the tank itself- just put in enough water to come up to the trim, and make sure the water level is the same distance from the trim on all corners (no need to measure, you can probably eyeball it). If it's not level, put some shims under the stand (not the tank) to get things leveled properly.

I don't think you'll have any issues with cycling as long as you can keep the filter going. The tank will still have the same bio-load as it did before.

Good luck, and glad you caught it before it got worse.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I see no problem with putting the old substrate on top of the new, or vica versa. You're going to disturb and lose some of the bacteria either way. If it was me doing this I would do just as you are planning, and then I would test for ammonia and nitrites daily for a while just to be sure everything is as it should be. If you get any readings do water changes as needed and use Prime.

I thought I had a leak once, but it turned out to have something to do with the locations of my air stone and the bubbles it produced. It was causing water to get up under the glass top and run down the side. I moved the bubbler away from the sides and more towards the center of the tank and it fixed it. I did, however, go out and buy a fairly cheap backup tank after that which has been sitting in my basement unused for years now. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Good luck!
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For me I wanted to diy my tank instead of taking the easy way out. So I resealed mine so that I know the process. Plus it has been more than 10 years since I purchased the tank that lost its seal. I don't even remember where I got it from and I am sure that receipt was trashed within a week of the purchase. I have noticed with new tanks that they are stingy with the silicone. The seams are very thin. If i do it myself, I know I am getting a good thick seal. Its not hard and it is a fun experience if you have the patience. I only did it once but I will do it again if needed. Knowing the process is one of the reasons why used tanks at a good price can be a bargain deal. If the seal is old or they discounted due to a busted seal, reseal it yourself. Cleaning/removing old silicone is the most time consuming part. If your lucky the silicone will peel in larger chunks. Masking off the tank with painters tape is the second most time consuming part. I would not worry about breaking all the panels down completely. Most don't go this far. A fresh interior seal will suffice.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31

Tanks - low tech 29g
Old 10-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all the help and input. I decided to just replace it, because I didnt have a QT available. Also didnt want to leave fish in buckets for to long.

The transition went great, and no fatalities so far. Extra substrate made a huge difference in presentation. I made a slope from front to back, and it looks so much better. Plants arent in there final place yet. Just got some dwarf sag today, and waiting for more plants tomorrow. I have hygrophila angustifolia, hygrophila corymbosa, and rotala rotundifolia coming in tomorrow.

I tried not to disturb substrate as much as possible, because my corkscrew vals are finally going fast and healthy. Should I put more root tabs in the substrate???? Being that there allover the place now.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

If you couldn't tell where it was leaking... Is there any chance it was just water spilled during the cleaning that got caught under the tank?
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's what I initially thought. The leak was on the bottom of the tank. After I took everything out, I did fill again and actually find a pin sized hole. Didn't leak until the tank was completely full.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #12
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I hope you supported your new slope well. If not, it will level out over time. What looks good now, won't later with your adequate support. I don't have experience with Eco but from what I have read, it does not hold slopes well. I believe the substrate stickies also states this.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31

Tanks - low tech 29g
Old 11-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Ah, good. Nothing like tearing down a functioning system for a problem that you can't really find.
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
Ah, good. Nothing like tearing down a functioning system for a problem that you can't really find.
It was a pain breaking it down, but fun setting it back up.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
I hope you supported your new slope well. If not, it will level out over time. What looks good now, won't later with your adequate support. I don't have experience with Eco but from what I have read, it does not hold slopes well. I believe the substrate stickies also states this.
No supports but the slope isnt dramatic, so it should be ok. I'll probably end up rescaping tank again in the near future anyways.

What type of support should I have used?