36gal Bowfront - update 1/26/14 post#15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

PTrader: (10/100%)
Smile

36gal Bowfront - update 1/26/14 post#15

Updated 1.26.14 post 15
-------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

This is my first planted tank and wanted to start a journal of the tanks progress as well as my struggles and successes.

This aquarium is a 36gal Aqueon Bowfront that I had laying around and have it placed in my bedroom. In my living room I have a 60gal Mbuna tank and wanted something soothing for the bedroom.

As with all planted tank amateurs I know I'm going to make mistakes, change my mind a million times and get frustrated, but thats part of the hobby right?Anyways, onto what I've got thus far,

Equipment:
  • Marineland C-220 canister filter
  • Hydor 200w inline heater
  • Hydor Koralia 425 wavemaker (not sure if I want to use it yet, was a spare)
  • Glass Lily Pipes
  • CO2 System I put together consisting of: Victor 7-0155 Dual Stage Regulator, Burkert Solenoid, IDEAL Valve, 10lb Aluminum C02 Tank, Atomic inline CO2 Diffusor, GLA Glass Drop Checker, Inline Bubble Counter as well as two check valves)

Plants:
  • Didiplis Diandra
  • Rotala Magenta
  • Cryptocoryne Undulatus
  • Eleocharis Parvula (Dwarf Hairgrass) {Midground left - Meadow Area}

Stock:
Current
  • 12 Neon Tetras
  • 3 Otto's
  • Ballon Ram
  • 7 Panda Cory
    [8] 6 Glowlight Tetras

FERTILIZATION
Using Estimative Index Method

Photos:

Placement in the room^

Current Hardscape^ (still doing minor tweaking)

CO2 Set-up (just put together today 9/27/13)

Inside the stand (Also have two Coral Life Power Strips mounted in the stand)

PLANTED UPDATE As of 10/9/13 (planted 10/4/13)

The bag hanging in the back is just seeding material I have from my 60Gal Mbuna tank. Will be taken down when tank has cycled.

Constructive Comments are welcomed! I know I'm going to have questions and thanks to those that have helped me thus far with my hardscape.

--------------------------UPDATE 10/28/2013 BELOW-------------------------------

I just received my BML 10k Planted Fixture and I absolutely love it. I bought the dimmer with it and it works flawlessly. Its not the same as my 7k but it really highlights my fish and my plants together so I couldn't be happier.

I trimmed my Glosso yesterday (removed it all from the tank, trimmed and replanted horizontally to try and get it to carpet now (Boy that was a chore), trimmed my DHG, and the remainder of the plants that needed it. My PAR Values at the Glosso are high 40's to 50 so hopefully it'll be enough light. If it isnt I can throw on my Finnex RayII to help (tested with everything on including the RayII and PAR at the Glosso was about 78-90 depending on light placement) but I can always turn down my BML.

Also added some Combosa (SP?) as well as an Electric Blue Ram and a German Ram to the tank. The Electric Blue is stunning!
I took out all of my Christmas Moss and replaced with Java Moss since it wasn't doing well and was covered in Hair Algae and starting to grow BBA. The only portion of the tank that had any of the algae issues was the Christmas Moss.

Since dosing my EI the plants have really taken off and its amazing to watch them grow so quickly. I've upped my CO2 a little bit and now keep my powerhead on the surface going to keep the top of the water column aerated. I've found that even with the powerhead on, my CO2 is more consistent and doesn't fluctuate.

Onto some photos

Just the BML Fixture ^^^

^Both BML and RayII

Last edited by ConfidentBlue; 01-27-2014 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: update 1.27.14
ConfidentBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Looks fun... if you decide on a second fixture, I suggest either getting the Monster Ray or the Fugeray Planted Plus. This will help get colors to pop more because IMO the Ray 2 by itself tends to leave colors (other than green) looking a bit muted.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Has anyone mixed the ray2 with the planted plus? I'm curious how the colors blend? I feel with LEDs of different colors sometimes it's obvious you have 2 different fixtures
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
badmojo1974

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm setting up a similar setup where can you buy a "Fugeray Planted Plus"? Can anybody post a link? Thanks.
badmojo1974 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmojo1974 View Post
I'm setting up a similar setup where can you buy a "Fugeray Planted Plus"? Can anybody post a link? Thanks.
As far as I know they're not available yet. Looks like November from what I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

Planted update in Original Post.

I'm going to need more light to increase the Par since the tank is so deep.

Debating on if I should wait or grab another Ray2 or maybe going with a BuildMyLed fixture since they have high par values.

CO2 is functioning great and my drop counter shows 30ppm
Old 10-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #7
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

Since planting the tank I noticed that Glosso is climbing high rather than carpeting telling me that the lighting isnt high enough and the Eleocharis Parvula doesn't look so hot in some areas.

I purchased a PAR meter from Hoppy (which works great) and found that as I suspected, since the tank is so deep I'm at about 28Par where the Glosso is planted and a little higher where the Eleocharis Parvula is at.

My CO2 is working good and the drop checker is showing green matching the reference solution.

Rather than waiting for the Planted + I decided to go ahead and purchase a BML 30" 10k Planted Fixture with a Dimmer. This should allow me to achieve the high PAR needed at this depth for my carpet plants and dial it down if needed.

I had ordered some Christmas Moss recently and planted it on the DW but now have noticed a multitude of pondsnails in my tank. I also noticed that I have Hair Algae coming growing off the Moss.

Should I scrap the moss? I havent seen the HA growing anywhere else yet but it is growing pretty tall off the moss. I tried to just pick it out but it's too intertwined with the moss to be able to get it all =(.

I added 4 Amano Shrimp as well as 2 more Otto's for a total of 6 in the tank.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

What is the plant on the left corner? I love it. I think the tank looks great. As far as hair algae in moss, I've had serious issues with that in my Fissidins and Flame Moss in a shrimp tank that I let to out of control for a while. Blasting it with Hydrogen Peroxide with a syringe several times over the coarse of a few days will totally wipe it out and save your moss. Don't scrap the moss, just blast it with Perixide. It's actually very gratifying
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 03:46 AM   #9
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
What is the plant on the left corner? I love it. I think the tank looks great. As far as hair algae in moss, I've had serious issues with that in my Fissidins and Flame Moss in a shrimp tank that I let to out of control for a while. Blasting it with Hydrogen Peroxide with a syringe several times over the coarse of a few days will totally wipe it out and save your moss. Don't scrap the moss, just blast it with Perixide. It's actually very gratifying
The plant in the back left corner is Cryptocoryne, Undulatus. I love it too!

Thanks for the advice, I'll try busting it out with some Hydrogen Peroxide and see if that works.

I picked up some Java Moss as well so we'll see.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #10
elo500
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Following your progress as I also have a 36 bow and trying to figure out lighting.
What is your substrate?
elo500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo500 View Post
Following your progress as I also have a 36 bow and trying to figure out lighting.
What is your substrate?
Sounds good. What are u going for? Low,med,high light?

I'm using Eco complete with a smidge of flourite

Old 10-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #12
bsantucci
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Did you get the 10k BML light yet? If so how do you like the colors? I have the Dutch 6300 and love it. I wanted the 10k but someone told me it kind of washed reds out from fish and plants. Do you see that if you have it? Kinda curious as I may buy that still to compare. I have a 46 bow front and had glosso grow up too. I think it just does that first cause mine started turning back down on its own when it started throwing runners.

I switched though to dwarf sag got a good deal for 30 nods so I'm hoping it spreads and fills in quick.

GL with the tank and I'll be following.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #13
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

I just ordered my 10k and it's expected ship date is the 28th of this month so well see. I was thinking about the Dutch one but decided I'd give the 10k a go. If I don't like it ill return it and go with the dutch I think but well see.

Lookin forward to trying it out. Right now my par at the substrate is in the high 20s, not where I want it to be so hopefully the BML will fix that.

Ill post some pics of the new fixture and tank when I receive it.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

UPDATED Bottom of Original Post
BML 10k Planted Fixture Added
Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #15
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

Update as of 1/26/14

Still battling some BGA and GDA but not too bad.

Ripped out my Glosso, while it was carpeting I just wasn't liking the look too much. The DHG however has been doing well and is starting to send out runners like crazy so hopefully it'll carpet the front of the tank.

Also took out all my Hygro and Combosa, got tired of all the aerial roots and my schedule got hectic and didn't have time to dedicate anymore to the constant trimming. Now I've planted Didiplis Diandra and Rotala Magenta as well as adding some Riccia via a hairnet to some granite.

Heres some photos:

Tags
36 gallon, co2, journal, new aquarium, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.