ADA AquaSoil
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 08-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

ADA AquaSoil

I am wondering if some experienced users can shed some light on which type of ADA AquaSoil should be used for a regular low maintenance 5 gallon fresh water set up consisting of low maintenance plants(java fern, java moss, hygrophilia, anubias, etc.,). Also, does this stuff need to be capped with a layer of sand?

It is sold in different grades Amazonia, Malya, and Africana. I want to experiment with this stuff and am looking to set up another experimental tank. I don't want to shell out big bucks for the wrong stuff. The fauna will consist of some otos and rosy barb(s). They won't go in right away and I am not worried about ammonia spikes as I have successfully defeated these spikes in both planted and unplanted tanks and have mastered the art of cycling for both planted/unplanted tanks.

Thanks
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
It is sold in different grades Amazonia, Malya, and Africana.
The different types of Aqua Soil are not different grades, per se. The different varieties are more about different colors, and ever so slightly different in make up to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
which type of ADA AquaSoil should be used for a regular low maintenance 5 gallon fresh water set up consisting of low maintenance plants(java fern, java moss, hygrophilia, anubias, etc.,).
You could use any of the available varieties.

However, for the plants you are mentioning (ferns, moss, Anubias), I am not sure I see the point in using Aqua Soil....particularly when you consider the purchase to be "shelling out big bucks". In my experience, Aqua Soil is best suited for stem plants, swords, Cryptocorynes, plants that are "planted". There is no reason for Aqua Soil not to be used with the plants you mentioned (yes, I know you mentioned Hygrophilia), but the properties that make Aqua Soil a unique substrate will kind of go to waste on the set up you have planned. Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, just that for what you are setting up, your money is probably better spent on something else.

Quote:
Also, does this stuff need to be capped with a layer of sand?
Absolutely not. Capping any larger grained substrate with sand or a smaller grained substrate is only going to be temporary. The finer particles will eventually settle beneath the larger ones.

Mike
Old 08-31-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
The different types of Aqua Soil are not different grades, per se. The different varieties are more about different colors, and ever so slightly different in make up to the best of my knowledge.

You could use any of the available varieties.

However, for the plants you are mentioning (ferns, moss, Anubias), I am not sure I see the point in using Aqua Soil....particularly when you consider the purchase to be "shelling out big bucks". In my experience, Aqua Soil is best suited for stem plants, swords, Cryptocorynes, plants that are "planted". There is no reason for Aqua Soil not to be used with the plants you mentioned (yes, I know you mentioned Hygrophilia), but the properties that make Aqua Soil a unique substrate will kind of go to waste on the set up you have planned. Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, just that for what you are setting up, your money is probably better spent on something else.

Absolutely not. Capping any larger grained substrate with sand or a smaller grained substrate is only going to be temporary. The finer particles will eventually settle beneath the larger ones.

Mike
O.k. that makes a lot of sense. Thanks.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote