recommended parameters
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-28-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
fishguy101
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

recommended parameters

I just set up a 72 gal bow front tank. I have 100% flourite gravel about 3 inches in depth. I have 4x 54 watt T5 6700K bulbs. (3 WPG) I just bought a freshlab deluxe test kit and I'm wondering what my GH,KH,PH,Iron,Co2 levels should be at.

Thanks
fishguy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 01:54 AM   #2
fishguy101
Algae Grower

I guess no one knows what the water parameters need to be at? I mean does it just depend or is there atleast a certain range they should be?
fishguy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:40 AM   #3
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy101 View Post
I guess no one knows what the water parameters need to be at? I mean does it just depend or is there atleast a certain range they should be?
A review of the literature would suggest the following/following ranges(where applicable).

GH: 76ppm / 4 dGH

KH: 63 ppm / 3.5 dKH

PH: 6.5-7.0

Iron: 0.1-1.0 ppm

Potassium: 10-20 ppm

Nitrates: 3-20 ppm

Phosphates 1.0-2.0 ppm

c02: 10-30 ppm

Light: 20-60 Lumens or 2-3 watts per gallon. 10-12 hours day

Ranges are just ranges. You would likely have to experiment for yourself to find the best fit. Things such as your fish load, maintenance schedule(re: water changes), the amount of food you feed your fish, amount and types of plants(slow growing, fast growing) tap water parameters, your fertilization scheme, would all interact in complex ways and could drastically effect target levels or ranges one way or another.

Regards and good luck.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:26 AM   #4
Joetee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

This forum is full of good advise. Read through the info and you will learn a lot. I was new about 20 months ago and have learned more in those 20 months than the average planted tank hobbyist just by reading and studying and asking questions here.

Here is a link to Rex's guide that is a good place to start reading
http://rexgrigg.com/

If you have specific questions, do a search here on the forum. If you still have questions, then ask. Nearly every question have been asked and answered here more than once. Everyone here at the planted tank are great and well learned. They are happy to help. Just have a little patience and you will get your answer usually within 1 hour, sometimes as long as 24 hours. But you will get your answers.

Welcome to the forum.

Joetee
Joetee is offline   Reply With Quote