Aquarium plants .com regulator leak but where
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)

Aquarium plants .com regulator leak but where

Ok so today before I went to work I didn't switch on my co2 because it was empty (well at 200psi). Upon coming home it was down to 50 but when I opened the cyl back to 200

I've done a soap test and no air bubbles could the leak be in the black box? How do I open it to check and or make sure everything is as it should be?
drewsuf82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Was the solenoid plug in? You closed the tank, but maybe you forgot that it was still on? Anyways, google the regulator and you will see a post on another site on the stuff inside.

Spoiler alert, the inside contains two foam peanuts, because you know, it's THE BEST REGULATOR ever! There is also a clippard mouse solenoid, and a sprinkle of fairy dust.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Was the solenoid plug in? You closed the tank, but maybe you forgot that it was still on? Anyways, google the regulator and you will see a post on another site on the stuff inside.

Spoiler alert, the inside contains two foam peanuts, because you know, it's THE BEST REGULATOR ever! There is also a clippard mouse solenoid, and a sprinkle of fairy dust.
LOL

It was def not on when I got home. Could the solenoid inside be leaking?
Old 10-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Checking for leaks is pretty much the same whatever the equipment might be. Whether it is the solenoid, needle valve or other stuff, a soap test, done correctly, will show the leak. Of course it always make sense not to get water and soap inside anything electrical, so keep it back from the entrance for wires.
Otherwise, just cover it will thick foamy bubbles like shaving cream might look. If there is an internal leak, it will have to come out somewhere. For making the soap, I put just a couple tablespoons of water in a small cup, add several squirts of liquid soap, Dish soap/ hand soap doesn't matter. Then use something like a small paint brush to really "whip" it up into a foam that will cling to things long enough for bubbles to form. Look for places where air blows the soap away for large leaks but for small leaks wait and watch for a few minutes for tiny bubbles getting larger.
Check the solenoid but while you are at it, it makes sense to do all the parts and connections. It may save a tank of gas to take the time!
I find a soap check take less time than going to get the tank refilled.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Checking for leaks is pretty much the same whatever the equipment might be. Whether it is the solenoid, needle valve or other stuff, a soap test, done correctly, will show the leak. Of course it always make sense not to get water and soap inside anything electrical, so keep it back from the entrance for wires.
Otherwise, just cover it will thick foamy bubbles like shaving cream might look. If there is an internal leak, it will have to come out somewhere. For making the soap, I put just a couple tablespoons of water in a small cup, add several squirts of liquid soap, Dish soap/ hand soap doesn't matter. Then use something like a small paint brush to really "whip" it up into a foam that will cling to things long enough for bubbles to form. Look for places where air blows the soap away for large leaks but for small leaks wait and watch for a few minutes for tiny bubbles getting larger.
Check the solenoid but while you are at it, it makes sense to do all the parts and connections. It may save a tank of gas to take the time!
I find a soap check take less time than going to get the tank refilled.
I've never heard of the 'whip' method, I usually just have a spray bottle with soap and water. I will have to try that when I get home tonight.

I know there are better regulators out there I've just been trying to save purchasing one since I don't have the liquid cash ATM.

There's no reason though that a 20# tank on a 55g on for about 9-10 hours a day should be out within 3 months. I'm just frustrated that the only place I can think there can be a leak is in that little black box.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Drew, could you possibly bump the CGA 320 connection when you turn off the tank?

Do this, hook the thing back up and make sure it's tight. Turn it on, get the 200 psi, turn off the tank and wait an hour. You can even check at 15 min - 20 min , etc.

If the solenoid is off, it honestly should still read 200 psi.

The same thing happen to me and I didn't even have a metering valve or solenoid to check. It was my CGA 320 connection, I didn't tighten it.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used the soap test going back as a kid in my father's ac business. We used to just buy the bubble stuff at the toy isle. Works good indoors and out lol.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Any type of soap will do in lots of cases. When it needs to be thick is if it is a small leak in a place like the back side. If the soap is thin it may just run off before blowing a bubble. For ease of use, a can of shaving cream might be a worthwhile investment as it is made to hang on until you scrape it off.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

So everything outside the black box checks out to not be leaking
Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I have my Carbon Doser set up on a 135gal but have only had to get my 20 lb tank refilled once so I do not yet have much experience with the pressure drops. However, I noticed that once it dropped below 800 psi that it went down to about 400 psi in a few days (dropped about 50-100 psi / day) then I got it refilled. Seemed the lower the psi the faster it would drop. I called AP and also discussed with someone else that's had one of these regulators and they said it's typical. He said his takes about 2.5 weeks to go from 800 psi down to 100 psi for a 10 lb tank (not sure how big his aquarium is though.
jfynyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfynyson View Post
I have my Carbon Doser set up on a 135gal but have only had to get my 20 lb tank refilled once so I do not yet have much experience with the pressure drops. However, I noticed that once it dropped below 800 psi that it went down to about 400 psi in a few days (dropped about 50-100 psi / day) then I got it refilled. Seemed the lower the psi the faster it would drop. I called AP and also discussed with someone else that's had one of these regulators and they said it's typical. He said his takes about 2.5 weeks to go from 800 psi down to 100 psi for a 10 lb tank (not sure how big his aquarium is though.
I think what you are describing here is not related to the type of reg but it is just normal operation for compressed gas. The high pressure reads high until the liquid is almost gone in the tank. As this liquid becomes used up , the pressure then begins to drop. Normal operation with almost any reg.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

I did find a flattish spot in the tubing about four inches long. I replaced it with airline tubing today. I also installed my ph controller finally to try to keep things more constant.

I'll make sure to check back with this thread the next time the pressure drops to see how long it goes for...
Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love my AQ.com regulator. I purchased mine in 08 and I haven't had any problems with it what so ever. If there were internal leaking, I'd recommend discussing it with Aquariumplants.com themselves the see how to go about solving it. For me, that thing was too expensive for me to attempt opening. If you recently made the purchase, there should still be a warranty on it.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #14
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I think what you are describing here is not related to the type of reg but it is just normal operation for compressed gas. The high pressure reads high until the liquid is almost gone in the tank. As this liquid becomes used up , the pressure then begins to drop. Normal operation with almost any reg.

Great to know....I thought it was just my luck and my set up !
jfynyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #15
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
I love my AQ.com regulator. I purchased mine in 08 and I haven't had any problems with it what so ever. If there were internal leaking, I'd recommend discussing it with Aquariumplants.com themselves the see how to go about solving it. For me, that thing was too expensive for me to attempt opening. If you recently made the purchase, there should still be a warranty on it.
Unf I've had it for a good while so I know I'm well outside of the warranty period.

I wonder if they'd be able to direct me though.

Last night closed off the main, woke up this morning no pressure drop...starting to think its haunted lol