DIY c02 splitter???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Charrr89
031209
 
Charrr89's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitmore, Hawaii
Posts: 627
Default

DIY c02 splitter???


Anyways. I thought this up, while it costs $40-50 for a c02 splitter, low on cash and DIY isn't as great as I want it to be... Could I possibly install like 5 inches of c02 tubing and then install a "T" valve so that way the c02 goes through there and diffuses left and right ?????? Any thoughts... Good idea... Bad idea....
__________________

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
jeepguy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: newjersey
Posts: 565
Default

Maybe look into a reactor. For diy, which I m running to be effective takes continuos work. While I save up for pressurized on my 65g I m running 7x2 liter bottles. I am in the process of determining recipe effectiveness by dating each bottles mix date, and recipe. Some bottles I put in 1/4 teaspoon on yeast, some 1/8, I also use half brown sugar. I shake each bottle each morning to see if they are still producing. Lastly I run my co2 line upstream into a power filter for diffusion. I see no bubbles in my tank. Refer to this diagram. I have realized and learned that it doesn't matter how much co2 u r creating. If bubbles are in your water they r just rising to the surface and ur not getting the benefit u desire, unless u have a very strong current that prevents co2 bubbles from reaching the surface that is.
In this diagram u want the bubbles to rise as the water pulls them down. Physics diffuses the bubbles completely in the water if the flow rate is not to strong. Also, I like this method of a reactor because I can turn it off at night, verses a Rex Griggs which u cannot. You can also look into the Tom Barr reactor. Same concept, different method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	227185  

__________________
65g Rainbow/Tetra/Ram/Cory
The Rocky Forest
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=456129

Last edited by jeepguy; 10-26-2013 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Add
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,766
Default

Unfortunately, what you have proposed will not work. CO2 will take the path of least resistance, so one side will get all (or the majority) of the CO2.
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pflugerville, Tx
Posts: 3,254
Default

To make it work, I think you would need a good set of needle valves. One on each outlet to adjust to try to get a balance. But then at some point the resistance may be more than the DIY can work against. Also the price of two good quality needle valves begins to eat the wallet!
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Charrr89
031209
 
Charrr89's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitmore, Hawaii
Posts: 627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
Maybe look into a reactor. For diy, which I m running to be effective takes continuos work. While I save up for pressurized on my 65g I m running 7x2 liter bottles. I am in the process of determining recipe effectiveness by dating each bottles mix date, and recipe. Some bottles I put in 1/4 teaspoon on yeast, some 1/8, I also use half brown sugar. I shake each bottle each morning to see if they are still producing. Lastly I run my co2 line upstream into a power filter for diffusion. I see no bubbles in my tank. Refer to this diagram. I have realized and learned that it doesn't matter how much co2 u r creating. If bubbles are in your water they r just rising to the surface and ur not getting the benefit u desire, unless u have a very strong current that prevents co2 bubbles from reaching the surface that is.
In this diagram u want the bubbles to rise as the water pulls them down. Physics diffuses the bubbles completely in the water if the flow rate is not to strong. Also, I like this method of a reactor because I can turn it off at night, verses a Rex Griggs which u cannot. You can also look into the Tom Barr reactor. Same concept, different method.

Ahh I don't like too many bottles... But it sounds interesting. How would I use it on a canister filter???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Unfortunately, what you have proposed will not work. CO2 will take the path of least resistance, so one side will get all (or the majority) of the CO2.
Thinking about going paintball... I've seen splitters online but I'm not sure if anyone has used it
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
To make it work, I think you would need a good set of needle valves. One on each outlet to adjust to try to get a balance. But then at some point the resistance may be more than the DIY can work against. Also the price of two good quality needle valves begins to eat the wallet!
Yeah about that... Lol I agree on the wallet... My wallet got chewed up when I first went pressurized..!!

How do u use a needle valve and what is that anyways??
__________________

Finnex member #14

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-27-2013 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Charrr89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
How do u use a needle valve and what is that anyways??
For more information regarding pressurized CO2 and the type of equipment used in it, please take a look at my Primer to Pressurized CO2 (linked in my signature below).
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
herns
Planted Tank Guru
 
herns's Avatar
 
PTrader: (217/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
Maybe look into a reactor. For diy, which I m running to be effective takes continuos work. While I save up for pressurized on my 65g I m running 7x2 liter bottles. I am in the process of determining recipe effectiveness by dating each bottles mix date, and recipe. Some bottles I put in 1/4 teaspoon on yeast, some 1/8, I also use half brown sugar. I shake each bottle each morning to see if they are still producing. Lastly I run my co2 line upstream into a power filter for diffusion. I see no bubbles in my tank. Refer to this diagram. I have realized and learned that it doesn't matter how much co2 u r creating. If bubbles are in your water they r just rising to the surface and ur not getting the benefit u desire, unless u have a very strong current that prevents co2 bubbles from reaching the surface that is.
In this diagram u want the bubbles to rise as the water pulls them down. Physics diffuses the bubbles completely in the water if the flow rate is not to strong. Also, I like this method of a reactor because I can turn it off at night, verses a Rex Griggs which u cannot. You can also look into the Tom Barr reactor. Same concept, different method.

I try to understand that diagram but my brain is not working.
I know where the CO2 line runs, but what are those two sponges for?
herns is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Charrr89
031209
 
Charrr89's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitmore, Hawaii
Posts: 627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
For more information regarding pressurized CO2 and the type of equipment used in it, please take a look at my Primer to Pressurized CO2 (linked in my signature below).
I'll check it out as soon as I get on a computer..


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
__________________

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
jeepguy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: newjersey
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
I try to understand that diagram but my brain is not working.
I know where the CO2 line runs, but what are those two sponges for?
the two sponges are just extra filtration. The powerfilter pulls water from the sponges like a normal sponge filter. But I inverted the setup so the co2 would rise in the plumbing towards the sponge filters. The co2 rises but the water is pulling down, which is the same idea as the rex Griggs reactor. Water flows down and diffuses the co2 trying to rise up. I just wanted to be able to turn the reactor off when lights turn off. I had to pack the plumbing with a little media to reduce the flow, but once I dialed it in I stopped seeing bubbles, and when turned off the co2 bubbles out the top of the sponges to the surface.
__________________
65g Rainbow/Tetra/Ram/Cory
The Rocky Forest
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=456129
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pflugerville, Tx
Posts: 3,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
the two sponges are just extra filtration. The powerfilter pulls water from the sponges like a normal sponge filter. But I inverted the setup so the co2 would rise in the plumbing towards the sponge filters. The co2 rises but the water is pulling down, which is the same idea as the rex Griggs reactor. Water flows down and diffuses the co2 trying to rise up. I just wanted to be able to turn the reactor off when lights turn off. I had to pack the plumbing with a little media to reduce the flow, but once I dialed it in I stopped seeing bubbles, and when turned off the co2 bubbles out the top of the sponges to the surface.
Seems like a cheap, workable reactor for those who don't need/want something larger. It might be more simple if only one bottle were used. Have you found it needing the two bottle versus just one to make it simple? Reason for asking is that I have run this type as filters and they worked but as filters they needed more changing on my tanks than I wanted. As a reactor, I can see they might work very nicely.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
jeepguy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: newjersey
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Seems like a cheap, workable reactor for those who don't need/want something larger. It might be more simple if only one bottle were used. Have you found it needing the two bottle versus just one to make it simple? Reason for asking is that I have run this type as filters and they worked but as filters they needed more changing on my tanks than I wanted. As a reactor, I can see they might work very nicely.
I don't think one bottle would supply enough co2 to my tank, 7 now and my drop checker is just turning a light tinge of green. I remix a bottle every three to four days.
__________________
65g Rainbow/Tetra/Ram/Cory
The Rocky Forest
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=456129
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pflugerville, Tx
Posts: 3,254
Default

Sorry, I didn't make my question clear. I was referring to the bottles in the tank for media. I think you show two , I was wondering if the second was needed as it does make the plumbing a bit extra.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
jeepguy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: newjersey
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Sorry, I didn't make my question clear. I was referring to the bottles in the tank for media. I think you show two , I was wondering if the second was needed as it does make the plumbing a bit extra.
I am just using the double sponge premade system that's sold as a kit. It's what I had. Lol. Having only one sponge should work just as well and be less plumbing as you said.
__________________
65g Rainbow/Tetra/Ram/Cory
The Rocky Forest
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=456129
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012