ruuuey's 17G riparium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
ruuuey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ruuuey's 17G riparium

Hi guys, this is my first riparium setup. Would be grateful for all comments and feedback. Thanks

Specs:
Project start date: 10/15/13
Project end date:
Aquarium Name: TBD
Project Objective: Create a visually-stunning riparium environment suitable for a pair of dwarf cichlids + a small group of pygmy cories and rummy nose tetras, paying close attention to their needs in terms of temperature, water flow, habitat
Tank Model: MA (Mr. Aqua) - 720
Tank Volume: 17.1G/64.7L
Tank Dimensions: 23.6” x 11.8” x 14.2” (60cm x 30cm x 36cm)
Filtration Equipment: Eheim Classic Canister 2215
Filter Medias: Eheim carbon filter pad, fine/coarse filter pads, Eheim Substrat+Mech
Filter Pipes: VIV Lily Pipe Outflow (13mm), Do!Aqua Violet Glass Inflow (13mm)
Temperature: 81 Fahrenheit (27.2 Celcius)
Heater: Hydor 200W in-line heater
Lighting Equipment: 2x Kessil A150W LED Amazon Sun
Light Bulbs/Spectrums: 6700K
Photoperiod: 10 hours (11am - 9pm)
Substrates: AZOO plant grower bed, Fluval stratum, API root tabs
Hardscape Materials: UP Aqua cichlid stone, manzanita branch-wood
Fertilizing Method: Estimative Index using Macro (KNO3+KH2PO4+K2SO4) + micro (plantex CSM+B)
Schedule & Doses: Macro/Micro on alternating days. ~30% water change on 7th day.
CO2 Injection: 10am to 8pm @ 30ppm
Other equipment: 5lb aluminum CO2 cylinder, Deluxe AQUATEK CO2 regulator with integrated solenoid, CAL AQUA 'pearl' drop checker, Atomic 13mm in-line diffuser, Atomic CO2 bubble counter with integrated check valve, ADA 5mm NA-Thermometer, timers for lights and solenoid
Flora Species List: Emersed= Lysimachia nummularia ‘Aurea,’ Ludwigia glandulosa, Cyperus alternifolius var. gracilis, Pilea cadierei, Ruellia brittoniana ‘Katie,’ Oplismenus hirtellus ’Variegatus,’ Alternanthera ficoidea, Asclepias curassavica, Spathiphyllum sp. Submerged= Lysimachia nummularia ‘Aurea,’ Ludwigia glandulosa, Mayaca fluviatilis, Ludwigia repens, Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala nanjenshen, Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf,' Nesaea 'red' sp., Staurogyne repens, Eleocharis parvula, Glossostigma elatinoides
Fauna Species List: Corydoras pygmaeus, Hemigrammus rhodostomus, Caridina multidentata
Goal for the Future:

Just planted the riparium plants on 10/23/13.
The basketgrass seems to drying up... and there's an unsightly biofilm on the water surface! Should I just lower the water level so I can cover the tank up to raise humidity?

Last edited by ruuuey; 11-16-2013 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: Updated specs
ruuuey is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

That's a really nice start! Post more pics once the plants perk up to the light. With the biofilm, try creating some surface agitation.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Lucubration
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Very nice little rimless; I do like Mr. Aqua tanks.

I ended up putting a little AC20 with a TOM surface skimmer attachment into my tank to dissolve surface scum back into the water. It's still in the tank, but at least it isn't causing issues with air and aesthetics on the surface.
Lucubration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
carlsagan89
Algae Grower

Looks great! I'd like to try something like this with the 20 long I'm setting up soon
Old 10-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
ruuuey
Algae Grower

[Hopefully this reply goes through, been trying for a while now]
Thanks for the comments guys! I do hope the plants perk up soon; some of the leaves look like they're drying out, especially the basketgrass and Joseph's coat
So yesterday I set up CO2 and I added a second set of pipes/filter to increase surface agitation. We'll see how this route goes... I removed the film yesterday using an empty water bottle but a new film covered the surface the following morning.
Waiting on some manzanita wood to come in so I can set up the final scape.
Will be adding amanos later next week.

For those of you who want to try this kind of setup out-- go for it!!!

Cheers!

Edit: This time I didn't multiquote and it went through! weird.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Nice setup! That looks really good.

So long as they are not totally dried up those plants will probably come around. They usually get a little beat up with shipping.

This will be a lot of foliage in a couple of months.

It might just be the angle of the photo, but from here it looks like the left side of that tank is a bit higher than the right. If it is a little uneven it would be a good idea to shim the stand on one side to level it out so there is not extra stress on the silicone seams.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
ruuuey
Algae Grower

Thanks Devin! After you mentioned that it might be a little uneven... it does look a little uneven! I have to head out now, but I'll shim the stand when I'm back tonight!

This is what the tank looks like without the wabikusa on the front right corner! :P

I'm thinking of getting another trellis plant from you Devin. Have any suggestions? I was missing one trellis raft from the order and I don't have anymore plants to put on one if I did have one. Unless maybe I spread the lsyimachia over from the left corner. It would be attached to the hanger of the spathiphyllum.

Edit:: Here are the trellis plants. Joseph's Coat and the basketgrass are doing the worst. Pilea isn't doing too bad and the hanger plants are doing fine.

Last edited by ruuuey; 10-26-2013 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Added images of trellis plants
Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
ruuuey
Algae Grower

Manzanita driftwood came in so I did some scaping!
What do you guys think?
On another note; Joseph's coat has perked up! It's looking a lot better now. The basketgrass is still looking the same.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

I like the driftwood and all of that, but I think it would look a lot better if it were slid to the right a bit more. Objects framed in the center is less interesting than an object framed slightly to the right or left.

Or leave it, and just add more plants to the right. Those are my 2 cents.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

That looks like it's coming along. Do you see new roots on the plants in the planters?

You might prefer to keep it open, but if you put a dark background on that tank the riparium planters will just disappear in the shadows as the plants grow in.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
ruuuey
Algae Grower

@gooberfish
Thanks for your input. I planted some Microphyllum Myrio on the right, and the scape looks better already! It was a little lopsided in the video, but I straightened them out after the shots.
I totally overlooked the golden ratio when I was moving things around :P

@hydrophyte: Yup! I see roots in the cups. Are the roots supposed to stay within the cup?
Yeah I was thinking about adding a black background. Thanks for the comments!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Nice video!

Some of the plant roots will probably grow through the holes in the bottoms of the planters. You can either let them grow, or trim them back if they run around too much.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
ruuuey
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Nice video!

Some of the plant roots will probably grow through the holes in the bottoms of the planters. You can either let them grow, or trim them back if they run around too much.
Roots started growing out of the cups! (except for the Spathiphyllum sp.).
I also started pinching some of the plants to encourage branching. What do you do with the portions that are pinched off, Devin? (I pinched the milkweed at 3 different points on separate stems and just poked those portions into the cup for now)

In other news, I started stocking the tank by adding 3 amano shrimp and 10 pygmy cories.
Also having a small algae problem in the tank... brown algae/diatoms growing on some of the slower-growing plants and on the glass.

Last edited by ruuuey; 11-14-2013 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: info
Old 11-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #14
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruuuey View Post
Some of the roots started growing out of the cups! (the dwarf umbrella sedge cups and the mexican milkweed cup).
I also started pinching some of the plants to encourage branching. What do you do with the portions that are pinched off, Devin? (I pinched the milkweed at 3 different points on separate stems and just poked those portions into the cup for now)
The Asclepias cuttings root easily you suspend the cut end in the water. They probably won't root so well if you stick them in gravel. You should instead use a trellis rafts or an empty planter. When the cuttings have numerous new white roots you can plant them in gravel.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
ruuuey
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
The Asclepias cuttings root easily you suspend the cut end in the water. They probably won't root so well if you stick them in gravel. You should instead use a trellis rafts or an empty planter. When the cuttings have numerous new white roots you can plant them in gravel.
Thanks! Here's a small picture update featuring the riparium plants-- pre and post pinch (of the asclepias, aluminum plant and joseph's coat)!