40 breeder back from the dead, and a pico
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
brooklyngal
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

40 breeder back from the dead, and a pico

Unfortunately progress on the 40br will be somewhat slow. The tank is at my parent's house in NYC, and I'm currently going to school in Ohio, so I'll be working on it during school breaks. When I left for the start of my freshman year in august, the tank had three goldfish. unfortunately they've died off since then due to poor maintenance habits on the part of my father, but he enjoys the plants in the tank so I'm going to spend this week pulling the pieces back together and hopefully leave him with something presentable.

The pico will be a small planted tank for a betta that I'm going to bring back with me to college. I'm thinking about finding a cool container to use, or I might use a de-rimmed minibow, we'll see.

I'll get some pictures of the 40br tomorrow to show its current state. all thats in there now is about a half inch of playsand, a huge amazon sword and an inch deep layer of pennywort floating at the top. there are also some sizable philodren plants growing out of the tank with some very long root systems in the tank. I might snag some of these for the pico, but I'll leave a few. I'm planning to get some eco-complete for substrate and just dump it on top of the playsand and get a few new species of plants and then I have a whole lot of java fern in a 29g downstairs with a broken light so I'll move those up as well.

This 40 is really more for plants than fish. I'm going to leave the tank with new substrate and whatever plants and fish I still have in the 29 until I come back for winter break. I'm planning to be in the city for a solid two months so during that time I'll adjust anything i need to adjust.

the pico I'm going to assemble while I'm here and then set up next week when I'm back at school. I miss having a pet and a tank, so I figured I might as well get a betta for up there and the only thing near me there is a walmart so I'm getting everything in the city and bringing it back. all my long breaks I plan to take a bus home so I can bring my fish home with me and I'll just leave the tank setup out there until the summer.
brooklyngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

great plans. What sort of lighting are on both tanks atm? Incase youre interested, we have a local community on fb. just search for "the Aquatic plant society".
Old 10-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
brooklyngal
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

the 40 has 2 26 and 1 13 watt screw-in CF. they're in a DIY light fixture using a 2X4 back with 3 black dome light fixtures from home depot clipped to it. eventually I'll paint the 2X4 frame black and add something to cover the stand.

I moved everything over tonight but unfortunately I wont see the tank again until thanksgiving break. currently filtration is a sponge filter for up to 15 or 20g (cant remember) and a whisper 20 filter. plants are a large amazon sword and a whole bunch of java ferns and an anubia nana. I snapped some pictures of what it looked like before and some cloudy pictures of it right after the move. there's now flora max red for substrate, and current stock as of tonight is
1 female betta
1 male dwarf gourami
3 neon tetras
3 black skirt tetras

When I'm home for winter break I plan to up the number of fish and add another filter. I have 2 sunsun canisters sitting around and I might hook one of them up. hoping the eventually end up with something like
1 female betta
1 male dwarf gourami
8 neon tetras
6 black skirt tetras
6 cherry barbs
6 peppered cories
maybe 6 long-finned zebra danios

I'll post the pictures I took once I have some to put up of the pico as well, which will be saturday. currently a friend is baby sitting the betta I got along with all his stuff. she's taking him on the bus back to school for me. the betta is a blue and white marble double tail. the tank will be bare bottom but will have a mix of java ferns (narrow leaf, regular, and I think I found a small trident leaf too) and anubia nana. I'm using a little power filter for water movement because I dont like to use glass heaters in uncirculated tanks, and there will be some pothos growing out the top. I'm gonna try using just sunlight but chances are I'll order a cheap LED light from onine somewhere.
brooklyngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

sounds good. Bettas do appreciate warmer water and the winter is upon us. you may want to consider a nano heater or a heating pad of sort to keep the water above the 70's if possible. I think there are some ceramic or plastic heaters which may work for pico tanks.