Peter's Low-Tech Mini-M - Work Distraction! - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #91
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

nice tank! did the HC change / lose leaves from going dry start to flooding the tank? It seems like it filled in nicely, just debating if that gives it a better start to root and doesn't end up losing all the leaves when you flood it then maybe I'll try that... of course my HC is already in my 55 so maybe that's not a good idea since it might lose leaves going from under water to dry... but its been in my 55 for a while and hasn't been spreading at all... I figured due to fish messing with it though, and because I didn't plant individual plants I did pieces of the pot it came in spread around in a few areas bunched together to hold it together better...
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #92
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rininger85 View Post
nice tank! did the HC change / lose leaves from going dry start to flooding the tank? It seems like it filled in nicely, just debating if that gives it a better start to root and doesn't end up losing all the leaves when you flood it
In hindsight, I should have waited a bit longer to see if it would recover from the initial algae bloom that was my own fault. I noticed that the leaves did get a bit smaller and the patches I had did not look as "full" when flooded compared to during the DSM period. But I did not lose leaves, at least not many at all. Doing the DSM definitely allowed the HC to send down roots and get them established.

Quote:
then maybe I'll try that... of course my HC is already in my 55 so maybe that's not a good idea since it might lose leaves going from under water to dry...
I don't think that is true. You will probably lose some leaves or have some dead looking patches initially going from submerged to DSM, but they should bounce back even stronger while the DSM is going on.

Quote:
but its been in my 55 for a while and hasn't been spreading at all... I figured due to fish messing with it though, and because I didn't plant individual plants I did pieces of the pot it came in spread around in a few areas bunched together to hold it together better...
The more patience you have to plant as individual as possible, the better. More chance for them to spread out. This is probably true for most carpeting/foreground plants.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #93
rininger85
Planted Member

OK thanks for the tips, I will probably drain the tank when I get ready to plant it that way just the soil is wet so I don't make such a big mess with the potting soil floating all over the place... not sure if I'll go DSM or not, but may keep the water level pretty low still until I get ready to move it to work / add fish in...
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #94
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
Okay, big picture update. The moss has been growing up and out like crazy, and the RCS's love it. But it was getting out of hand. The last several trims I did, I noticed that whatever moss that attached to the wood in the beginning was now rotted away, so it's just one huge floating mass of moss. 90% of it isn't clung on the wood anymore. In hindsight, I should have trimmed the moss more often early on to keep it short and compact. Since it got all crazy and dense, it was also making the tank look cramped, especially for the fish. They had very little swimming space. The nymphoides sp. Taiwan taking off didn't help either. I don't think it looked too good in this tank.

Here is the tank last week:

What is the name of the large-leafed-lily-like-plant in the far right corner? And how big did those leaves gets?
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #95
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
What is the name of the large-leafed-lily-like-plant in the far right corner? And how big did those leaves gets?
The large lily-like plant is Nymphoides sp. Taiwan:

http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/pla....aspx?pid=041B

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...69&postcount=3

What you see in the pictures is as big as the leaves got. They only grew taller from that point on. I had about 1 new leaf per week. Started off with just one plant, but it propagated to two more little plantlets that also got big.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #96
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The large lily-like plant is Nymphoides sp. Taiwan:

http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/pla....aspx?pid=041B

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...69&postcount=3

What you see in the pictures is as big as the leaves got. They only grew taller from that point on. I had about 1 new leaf per week. Started off with just one plant, but it propagated to two more little plantlets that also got big.
Ah thank you for the informative answer ^^ I may look into getting that if I can around here, it seems like a lovely plants!
Where did you buy yours at?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #97
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Ah thank you for the informative answer ^^ I may look into getting that if I can around here, it seems like a lovely plants!
Where did you buy yours at?
Actually, a guy on here, H4n, threw it in as part of some random extra goodies when I ordered something from him. He may have some. I don't have any to spare right now :/
Old 10-18-2013, 03:04 AM   #98
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Actually, a guy on here, H4n, threw it in as part of some random extra goodies when I ordered something from him. He may have some. I don't have any to spare right now :/
Ok thank you ^^ will have to decide if I still want to try small sword plants or switch some out for this cool one, won't be enough room for all in my nano sadly.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #99
TonyK
Planted Member

You have a great eye for scaping a tank. The first version was great then the rescape looks even better. How do you get any work done with that to look at?
Old 10-26-2013, 02:58 AM   #100
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
You have a great eye for scaping a tank. The first version was great then the rescape looks even better. How do you get any work done with that to look at?
Thanks Tony!
Old 10-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #101
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Usual Friday update...added a SS mesh at the filter intake because I got tired of clogged sponges and cleaning it weekly. I just superglued it to the AC20 intake. I also added a couple of bunches of green myrio that I got from my LFS in Brooklyn. It is a wonderful, frilly, versatile plant that does NOT need CO2 to thrive. I'm not sure why I don't see it more often. Sometimes this same LFS has red myrio, but they only had green at the time, so I went with it. I think it is perfect to fill in the dead space in the tank. And the shrimp love grazing in it too! Eventually, it will grow taller and fill in a lot more, especially in the background. That SS mesh is sort of an eyesore.

I also read Jake's review of the Aquatop Nano Type-P LED light and pulled the trigger and got it. It is going to be delivered Monday, so I will mount it on Tuesday. With it, the light can be uniformly over the whole tank, instead of my 16" Fugeray lighting only the front 1/3 of the tank due to my AC20 hanging on the side. I am excited to try it out, and will update on what I think.

Tank partially drained (I really like this look):

Tank full:

Last edited by PeterN1986; 02-08-2014 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: fixed links
Old 10-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #102
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Usual Friday update...added a SS mesh at the filter intake because I got tired of clogged sponges and cleaning it weekly. I just superglued it to the AC20 intake. I also added a couple of bunches of green myrio that I got from my LFS in Brooklyn. It is a wonderful, frilly, versatile plant that does NOT need CO2 to thrive. I'm not sure why I don't see it more often. Sometimes this same LFS has red myrio, but they only had green at the time, so I went with it. I think it is perfect to fill in the dead space in the tank. And the shrimp love grazing in it too! Eventually, it will grow taller and fill in a lot more, especially in the background. That SS mesh is sort of an eyesore.

I also read Jake's review of the Aquatop Nano Type-P LED light and pulled the trigger and got it. It is going to be delivered Monday, so I will mount it on Tuesday. With it, the light can be uniformly over the whole tank, instead of my 16" Fugeray lighting only the front 1/3 of the tank due to my AC20 hanging on the side. I am excited to try it out, and will update on what I think.

Tank partially drained (I really like this look):

Tank full:

Awesome! Be nice to see with the new light!
Old 10-31-2013, 02:13 AM   #103
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I got the Aquatop in yesterday and mounted it on the tank. Initial impression is that it is pretty bright, but not as much light coverage as my 16" Fugeray, especially on the sides of the tank. Then again, the Aquatop is a much smaller, shorter footprint. It is definitely a sleek fixture. The tank definitely looks a lot more open now, so I am pretty pleased with it. Now for some pics!

Last edited by PeterN1986; 02-08-2014 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: fixed links
Old 10-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #104
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

Green Myrio is a nice plant. The downfall is that it breaks easily when planting and it makes a mess in the tank. Little parts come off easily and make a mess.

I do like the extra green in there.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #105
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
So I got the Aquatop in yesterday and mounted it on the tank. Initial impression is that it is pretty bright, but not as much light coverage as my 16" Fugeray, especially on the sides of the tank. Then again, the Aquatop is a much smaller, shorter footprint. It is definitely a sleek fixture. The tank definitely looks a lot more open now, so I am pretty pleased with it. Now for some pics!
Loving the new light!

Does your desk have overhead cabinets?

Based off of what Jake said in his review thread, could you suspend the light from there with something? Would look neat as a hanging pendant