30 Gal - low tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
stackage
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

30 Gal - low tech

This is my first planted tank. I've had it for about 5 months. It's really low tech. The lighting is really poor - about 1.2 watts per gallon. I use a semi diy co2 setup. It's store bought but uses yeast reaction. The rocks are native to this part of Germany and the plants.. I have no clue what they are. I don't speak German and they don't normally come labeled with the Latin names. There's 2 dwarf gouramis, 3 cherry barbs, 3 SAEs, several swordtails, a few platys and a dwarf puffer. And before anyone goes off I know they can get aggressive. But after 3 months and no negative incidents I think he's alright. There's some snails and a shrimp or two left that the puffer hasn't gotten too yet. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about the tank and any tips to make it better.

This is the tank when I first started:

This is the tank in its current status:

I appreciate any help, suggestions and ideas.
stackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
Jamez
Algae Grower

I like the wood from the first picture.
Jamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 AM   #3
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

those 3 rocks are too massive for the tank. just use 1 large one and a few more small ones will help the scape to look better. as for the lighting, 1.2 wpg is fine as long as you use the right plants. anubias and java ferns will look great there.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
stackage
Algae Grower

The wood I wasn't fond of so I tossed it and went with the all rock theme. I guess I was going for a Stonehengish look but I'm always down to try new things. What placement would you recommend for the larger rock? I was thinking about tearing it down and replanting so some ideas to try out would give me an excuse. Maybe a big one on the left and some little formations mixed in with some plants? I appreciate the help.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #5
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

one huge one on the left at some golden ratio point and getting smaller to the right is good. oh and keep it low infront of the rocks
Old 08-23-2007, 04:25 AM   #6
stackage
Algae Grower

golden ratio point? I think I missed something.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:59 AM   #7
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

the science
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

application on aquascaping
http://www.aquabotanic.com/aquascapingprincipals.html

for me, it means a spot to put eyecatching object in the aquarium somewhere a little to the lef/right from the center.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 AM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Basically, just have contrasts (large, medium, small) in your tank like contrast in height, size, proportions, leaf shapes, colors, and anything else you can think of.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
stackage
Algae Grower

Very interesting.... I think I'll be planning a tear down this weekend then. I'll post some pics of the new look when its finished. You'll have to give me some more pointers after that. I appreciate it fellas.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
stackage
Algae Grower

Default Check it out

So friday I get off work early and come home to set out to redo my tank. This turned into a big effort real quick. I'm happy with the results but that was a ton of work. I started off taking all the plants and rocks out to make it easier to catch the fish. This brought up all sorts of debris to the point where I could barely see the fish. My plan was to take everything out, store the fish in a bucket with the filter and heater and redo the scape and put the fish back. Sounds simple. Not so much. When I thought I had all the fish out...I would find another one. Makes me think I should start counting them. I nearly killed a couple of them with a gravel vac when I was emptying the thing. Then the shrimp I bought that I thought made an expensive snack for my puffer magically reappeared. Took those three guys out. I hadn't seen them in a month.
Here's all the fish traumatized and in a bucket:

This is what my living room looked like during all this:

The whole time this is going on my wonderful wife is laughing at me because it keeps getting harder and harder. I had this bag of aquatic fertilizer that I bought but never used and I was thinking...Hey, why don't I put that in now? Was a great idea .... but I didn't thing about rinsing it. As soon as I added water the whole freakin tank turned into mud soup. Not too mention as I was adding water it knocked every plant that I had in there out of place. So now I have mud water and the half hour of planting is a wash. And ya...my wife is still laughing at me.

With the light on:

After an hour or so and the water still not clearing I decide to put the fish back in hoping the cloudy water would be better than a bucket with no filter. None died so I'm guessing I made the right decision. However, I only remember putting two shrimp back in... not sure where the other one is or what happened to him. I'm hoping for the best but I doubt I'm that lucky. Overnight the dust settled into an nice layer on everything in the tank...awesome. One more water change and a little more scrubbing and the tank is looking pretty good. No fish died either. I would like your opinions and suggestions on the new setup but just an advanced warning any ideas that involve redoing the scape will be ignored......for a long time.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

nice beach look. wait for the plants to grow more, it will look beautiful.