bluecheese's 55 gallon - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #46
bluecheese
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberfish View Post
I approve all of it. I like the added branch. Lots of Java Fern & Anubias potential.
I was debating on that. Whether or not to really slam dance this wood with plants, or just let plants grow around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo View Post
Wow awesome hardscape!

Looking forward to more.
Thank you. Like Ron Jeremy, I aim to please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
That's some nice wood, but some may argue it's too long... ... ...... .............
That's what she said (thanks for throwing that softball for me to hit out the park.)

Quote:
I think you could add a really nice dynamic if you shoved it to the bottom of the tank and let substrate fall over it naturally, so some areas would be buried, some partialy buried, some sticking out at random. It would just make it seem like the wood belonged, rather than being thrown on top.
That was my line of thinking too. This is just the touchy feely puppy love stage. Once I can get the wood anchored(help), then its time to take this relationship to the next level.

Quote:
I also don't care for the color of the substrate, but that's probably just in my head since it's not planted yet.
How DARE you... anyway, the substrate is kind of bright right now. I'll be adding some old substrate on top of it, which is more of a darker brown color.

Quote:
And if you can, could you see what it looks like with the right end as close to the front glass as possible, with the left end being as far as possible? (without breaking it up of course).
That's as far right as the big log will go. I couldn't get it to look right until I started adding smaller pieces to the right side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeGills View Post
^ +1 Legot but I like the substrate just fine
This man knows what he's talking about.

Last edited by bluecheese; 09-19-2013 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: .
bluecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #47
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I like the wood it fits the tank nicely.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #48
bluecheese
Planted Member

So I finally found regular ammonia to start the cycle.

I also figured I'll use stainless steel screws to attach the driftwood. I can't work on any of this today as, once again, I'm heading to Baton Rouge for the LSU game. Its storming outside in New Orleans; I really hope I'm not sitting through a monsoon watching LSU kick the crap out of Auburn. I hope to get all the driftwood attached and set in the tank by tomorrow night (though I will have to take a Saints break tomorrow), and start the cycle process.

What was I thinking earlier? It never rains in Tiger Stadium. Chance of rain is NEVER! Tonight, it will be Saturday night in Death Valley...

Interesting LSU tidbit: In 1988, when number 4 ranked Auburn came to Baton Rouge to take on the LSU Tigers, the game came to be known as the Earthquake Game. In the 4th quarter, with Auburn leading 6-0, LSU Quarterback Tommy Hodson threw the winning touchdown pass to Eddie Fuller. The reaction from the crowd was so loud and raucous that it measured on a Richter Scale across campus in the Geology Department.

Many fans love their team. But only LSU fans move the Earth with that love.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #49
Dr Fishbait
Algae Grower

Geaux TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dr Fishbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #50
Legot
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
This man knows what he's talking about.
I try
Old 09-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #51
bluecheese
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fishbait View Post
Geaux TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's what I'm talking about!! Hot boudin, cold cush cush! Come on Tigers, PUSH PUSH PUSH!!!

Anyway, I was going to post pictures from Saturday of my gameday experience. Unfortunately it was raining, so I didn't get too many pictures. Plus I may or may not have been drinking...

Yesterday, after the Saints game and after my hangover cleared, I started working on my wood (tee hee).

I have an old undergravel filter plate from years ago. I attached the "branch" part of the 'scape to that. The "root" part of the scape was attached directly to the big log.

I would have pictures of all of this, but my stupid self broke the lightbulb in the strip, and the tank is darker than Wesley Snipes right now. I need to run to Petsmart tonight and get some more bulbs. I hope to have pics by Wednesday to make you all very, very jealous.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #52
Legot
Planted Member

Hows it going?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #53
Rock Island
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Three things:

1.) This made me spit out my beer.
Quote:
Slow your roll, homey. I can't just go stuffing wood in there like its prom night. This tank's a lady, and I'm gonna make sweet love to her, Barry White style.
2.) I love the video that your avatar is from.

3.) This tank looks rad. Who doesn't love a free 55?!
Rock Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #54
bluecheese
Planted Member

Sorry, its been a while since I've updated this. Work has been crazy, and football season has been taking up the rest of my time.

I'm currently cycling the tank. Should be ready soon for fish. I still need a co2 tank and new lightbulbs. I plan on taking off work later this month so that I have time to finish the tank without having to rush.

Nothing funny to report, unless you find a grown man whose job has crushed his soul funny. And if you find that funny, what are you, an animal?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #55
Tvadna
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Update time, beeyotches!!!

Tuesday night I went to the gym.

BEEFCAAAAAKE!!!!!!!

That's right, that's a 415 pound deadlift. Its ok if you confuse me with Superman. Happens all the time. And let's face it, when you have a tank as badass as this one's gonna be, you have to be able to protect yourself.

Come at me bro. Do you even lift?
Then you said: "I'm a grown man who can deadlift 500+ pounds"

Lets see the 500 picture!

Also, have you tested the CO2 reactor yet? If it works, I may have to try it. I figured if this guy can do it, then it can't be too tough. I'm a plumber though.

Looking forward to seeing more of this tank.
Tvadna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #56
bluecheese
Planted Member

I just read my last post... man I was in a pissy mood. Sorry about that. Like I said, not much going on. I've been cycling the tank, and i believe the cycle is complete. I'm taking three days off next week from work to get everything moved over to the new tank.

I made the mistake of telling my wife that i was off, and now she's all "oh great, I'll take a day off too, and we can spend the day together!" Sigh. I told her that these were MY days off, not OUR days off. I said that in my head though; I do want to stay married for a little longer.

Anyway, once I get everything set up, I'll post some pics. LSU is away this weekend, and the Saints have a bye week, so I'll have time to work on the tank this weekend also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvadna View Post
Then you said: "I'm a grown man who can deadlift 500+ pounds"

Lets see the 500 picture!

Also, have you tested the CO2 reactor yet? If it works, I may have to try it. I figured if this guy can do it, then it can't be too tough. I'm a plumber though.

Looking forward to seeing more of this tank.
You want a pic of me lifting 500lbs? Ok, I'll see what I can do. But don't let your wife glance at the computer while you're looking at that pic. I don't need more womens knocking down my door.

I haven't tested the reactor yet, as I havent gotten around to buying a co2 tank. I do havea paintball co2 setup on a small aquarium that I may hook up do this one just to see how the reactor does.

I'm debating whether to get a 10# or a 5# co2 tank. The 10#, of course, will last longer, but space will be an issue under the tank. The 5# will fit perfectly. Decisions, Decisions.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #57
bluecheese
Planted Member

So the tank is set up and has fish in it. I'll post some pics tonight, if I remember or don't pass out. LSU's loss to Ole Miss this past Saturday has put me in a depressed funk all week. Good thing we have a rent-a-win this weekend vs. Furman.

I currently have a paintball set up hooked to the reactor. So far so good. It isn't burping out any large bubbles, and I'm not getting any micro bubbles either. I just got a drop checker in there so I can see what bps i need.

I finally ordered a 5 pound co2 tank today which I should receive next week. Once I get, and get it filled, I can get this freakin' party started!

Last edited by bluecheese; 10-25-2013 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: ;)
bluecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #58
Legot
Planted Member

Cool
Old 10-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #59
bluecheese
Planted Member

Yeah, sorry about not posting any pics yet. The wife burned her hand at work (not too badly but bad enough) so I had to deal with that. I kept on asking her to give me a high five all night. I honestly don't know why she married me or continues to put up with me. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. bluecheese out.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #60
bluecheese
Planted Member

So here's the moment. The moment you have all been waiting for! A crappy partial full tank shot!!!!

"Looks kind of sparse," you say. Calm your nerves brah. The plants still have to fill in.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I took some days off of work to get this bad boy finished. Saturday was football, and on Sunday I took the wife to go see Book of Mormon at the newly refurbished Saenger Theatre. That was an entertaining show, as long as you're not one of those who are easily offended. And if you are one of those who are easily offended, get over yourself. Life is too short.

On Monday I started pulling the plants out of the old tank. Tuesday I was in the midst of getting all the plants out, but my wife had taken the day off also (yay! sigh) and we went to go see Captain Phillips. Great movie. But it taught me that Somali pirates are the scariest looking dudes in the world, even if they are all malnourished and only weigh 95lbs. After the movie, I got all the plants out the tank and separated into Ziploc bags full of tank water.

Wednesday I finally had the whole day to myself. I was able to move the fish to a 10 gallon that I have and break down the rest of the tank. It took a while to clean the old gravel; 5 years of fish funk is nothing fun to deal with. The clean gravel was moved to the new tank, I added root tabs to the substrate and I started planting. I got the root tabs and the fertz I use from nilocg, here on the forum. I can't say enough good things about his products. Look him up for any fertz you need.

List of plants:

Jungle Vals (you can see them in the back. I trimmed them before planting)
Saggitaria
Some sort of Crypts; not sure of the exact kind
Java fern, I think? placed on the wood
I also bought some sort of bolbitus from PetSmart

Fishies:

Cherry barbs
Black neon tetras
Black skirt tetras
Glowlight tetras
Endlers livebearers

I will, eventually get more fish for the tank. Definitely more Endlers. Probably some cory cats. I really like the look of Cardinal Tetras, but I've read they're a pain in the ass and die off in droves if you aren't careful.

Some more pics:

Hmm. Some of the pics are sideways. I wonder why that's happening? Oh well, I'm to lazy to fix it. Turn your head to the side, or turn your monitor to the side if it bugs you that much.

I have some more plants on order, some marsilea quadrifolia for that empty space in the foreground. I also have a blyxa japonica on its way. I have no experience with this plant, but I've always liked the look of it. I ordered from h4n on here. I've ordered from him before, and I highly recommend him. His plants are top notch and well priced.

This experience has been a lot of fun so far. I guess from here on out it'll be updates on the plant growth and new additions.

Thanks everyone for checking this out.