Macro & Micro Nutrients
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
pinkertd
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (74/100%)
Question

Macro & Micro Nutrients

This might be a really dumb (can't remember my science) question, but I need to know...... are the contents of macro and micro ferts made up of purely naturally occuring elements and minerals or chemically synthesized elements and minerals?

Debbi
pinkertd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
KevinC
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

There is no difference in what you buy in a bottle. The periodic table is what it is. Potassium is potassium no matter where it comes from. We don't make potassium in a lab. Only marketers want you to belive that something called "natural" is better than some other product. It is just hype - and in some cases the "natural" product for your own health could be worse since many of these types of products (herbal remedies . . .) are not FDA regulated. If I wanted, I could start selling my own "Ginseng" tablets today - and you'd have no way to know what I was actually selling you.

In the case of a planted tank, I guess you could call fish the "natural" fertilizer. Anything else you would buy most likely went through some sort of purification process before getting to you anyway.

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 2x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2013, red tiger lotus, vals, java fern and moss, crypts, swords, mbuna tank: Yellow labs, Ps. demasoni, clown plecos, SAE's.

10g mini-reef. 16lbs LR, green mushroom, star polyps, wagon wheel polyps, purple mushroom, candycane, hammer, other zoas, CUC.
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.