40 Breeder Do-Over
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

40 Breeder Do-Over

Currently:
I have 4 Tiger Barbs, 1 Opaline Gourami, and 1 Rubber Lip pleco, Fluval 50 filter, heater, airstone, driftwood, slate, sand, & artificial plants. Yes, tank is fully established for over 1 year now, test generally steady at ph 7.4, ammo. 0, trites 0, and trates 20, with 50% pwc weekly...

Do-Over Idea:
I am wanting to make this a tank that can grow live plants, need lighting suggestions...
I want mostly plants that are column feeders instead of being root feeders, suggestions...
I want plant friendly fauna and active, suggestions...
Any and all suggestions/advice is appreciated...thanks for your time
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

hi Aqualady, i have two of these tanks and tried two different combinations.

both run 2 separate canister filters, so four in total.
For lighting, one uses a quad t5ho teklight fixture with 6500k and red grow bulbs.
the other uses a finnex 36" ray II and Monster ray .
both tanks use Safe-t-sorb clay substrate.

Its been a really great experience so far as both are setup as high tech with co2 added daily. If you are mindful of the plants, you'll soon have a flourishing tank in no time.

as for fauna, i have a combination of cardinal/neon tetras, xray tetras, otos and two pair of German blue rams.
The other tank is full of endler and platy livebearer with snowball plecos and farowella stick fish. All are peaceful and plant safe. i tend to stick with nonaggressive species to allow for the widest possible range of species to keep together.

Amazon swords would be great for your tank. water sprite, a series of hygros and some dwarf hairgrass would look really great and are worth considering.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Update

Ok, today I have moved and re-arranged the current PFS and have added some black floramax. I have removed all slate, plastic plants, and rocks that were in there. Side note....I didn't know so much muck would be in my sand, yuck, but I did 2 50% water changes to help get it out. I placed a temporary sponge on tube intake filter (waiting for fluval pre-filter sponge to arrive) and placed the driftwood (may be moved around, not permanent, or completely replaced). I have ordered the Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 2-Lamp and it is expected to be here soon.

Questions:

1. Should I add another bag of floramax?
2. Will light be sufficient for medium light plants?
3. Should I completely replace DW for a bigger and branchy piece?
any other ideas and suggestions welcomed

Pictures...1st is BEFORE, the rest is the rescaping...it is a lil cloudy while things are settling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131019_235250.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	226137  

Name:	20131023_132510.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	226145  

Name:	20131023_132429.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	226153  

Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow no one
Old 10-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@acitydweller ty for your suggestions....so you don't have issues with 2 pair of rams in the 40B? Did you put them in at the same time so they would have equal claim to sides/area/territory? welll since no one else has ideas or answers to my concerns I will post for my own benefit
Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

i think you should get a bunch more DW, plant some nice swords with root tabs, get some stems going. know what I'm saying? ^_^
Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #7
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Default 40 Breeder Do-Over

I think that fixture would put you in medium light as long as bulbs are good. You mentioned using Excel (glut)? If not I would. I think you should get more filtration going. I would do an Eheim Canister or at least an AC70 in addition to what you have. There are so many things that can go wrong, filtration is one you don't want to worry about. Two filters double your bio filter media and ensure you don't kill it in one cleaning. Also I have to clean my HOB's like once a week! I don't know why, but that's how it is.
I would simply add a bunch of driftwood. You can never have to much in my opinion. I add some everytime I visit my cabin in TN.

Also I'd add another bag of substrate and make some nice hills and valleys. These are things I've learned over many years of doing this and the most important that I've found in scaping is LOTS of DRIFTWOOD and uneven substrate. I do love the split you've got going. I'm not courageous enough to attempt that. I have my hands in each of my 5 tanks daily
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #8
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I think that fixture would put you in medium light as long as bulbs are good. You mentioned using Excel (glut)? If not I would. I think you should get more filtration going. I would do an Eheim Canister or at least an AC70 in addition to what you have. There are so many things that can go wrong, filtration is one you don't want to worry about. Two filters double your bio filter media and ensure you don't kill it in one cleaning. Also I have to clean my HOB's like once a week! I don't know why, but that's how it is.
I would simply add a bunch of driftwood. You can never have to much in my opinion. I add some everytime I visit my cabin in TN.

Also I'd add another bag of substrate and make some nice hills and valleys. These are things I've learned over many years of doing this and the most important that I've found in scaping is LOTS of DRIFTWOOD and uneven substrate. I do love the split you've got going. I'm not courageous enough to attempt that. I have my hands in each of my 5 tanks daily
Ok thanks, I been looking for something branchy daily..yes I currently dose Glut for my other 3 tanks so I will go with your advice and do this one too...I figured it needed another bag I just need/want others opinions
Old 10-24-2013, 03:46 AM   #9
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

like 1/3 to 1/2 the tank should be driftwood imo.

I'd also do this: http://aqua-maniac.com/40-amazon-background
it would look great with some dried leaves and some extra DW in the mid ground.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualady View Post
Ok thanks, I been looking for something branchy daily..yes I currently dose Glut for my other 3 tanks so I will go with your advice and do this one too...I figured it needed another bag I just need/want others opinions
I go near the Big bridges near me in Tampa or large lakes in TN. It takes a while, but you can find great quality interesting driftwood
Member #13

Old 10-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I go near the Big bridges near me in Tampa or large lakes in TN. It takes a while, but you can find great quality interesting driftwood
I have my eye on this really branchy piece of wood but I couldn't get it because it is over a fence....need someone to get it for me...arghhh...or figure out how to get it myself...it sits side by side to the fence...fence is taller than me though...I am only 5'1 and its a regular sized fence...any ideas how to pull it over?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
ForensicFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

It is much easier for you to plant when the tank is not full. If I may Aqualady, did you post a tank journal awhile back for a 29G?

As for medium light plants, with your T5HO I would recommend suspending the fixture above the tank around 12 inches +/- as the 40b is a fairly shallow tank. If the lighting is too strong you may encounter algae issues since it does not appear you are running CO2. It is much much easier to plant or rescape a tank that is empty. If it isn't too much trouble, I would empty out your tank into holding buckets (as your tank is already cycled) and then add the old water back in when you are done planting.

Your inhabitants and plant selection should go hand-in-hand. Meaning your fauna should not damage the plants or uproot them. Most of you column feeders I.E anubias, java fern etc would be great and hardy. Just make sure you tie/glue them to a piece of rock or wood.
ForensicFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default 40 Breeder Do-Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualady View Post
I have my eye on this really branchy piece of wood but I couldn't get it because it is over a fence....need someone to get it for me...arghhh...or figure out how to get it myself...it sits side by side to the fence...fence is taller than me though...I am only 5'1 and its a regular sized fence...any ideas how to pull it over?
I would just ask your neighbor to let you grab it. I occasionally have to jump over or break through fences for work so I have a bit of an aversion to them Lol!
Member #13

Old 10-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Today I added the 2nd bag of Floramax. I decided I better add a barrier between the sand and Floramax so I cut a plastic cutting sheet (white-ish clear)and placed between the two. I used rocks to camouflage the dividers. I kind-of like my dw now. I added a java fern lace and another specie of java fern. Fauna has officially changed to now 1 rubber lip and 4 panda cories...

Sorry for not so-good photos, was taken with cell phone, one cory moved out the picture i guess he/she is shy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131028_150804.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	227929  

Name:	20131028_150728.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	227937  

Name:	20131028_150829.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	227945  

Name:	20131028_171209.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	227977  

Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)

i REALLY like the way you did the substrate. very cool!