Newbie From Brooklyn Introducing Myself
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 10-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
MeatWithGravy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Newbie From Brooklyn Introducing Myself

Hello! My name is Dave. I'm as wet behind the ears as they come -- where fishkeeping is concerned, anyway. More generally speaking, I've been around the block a few times. I'm a middle-aged bartender from Brooklyn, New York.

I'm here at The Planted Tank to learn. Perhaps someday I'll get to teach somebody something. But for now, I'm full of questions and wonder. I haven't got a tank yet, just a bunch of aspirations and a tight budget. Haha. I've been reading for the past couple months online. Trying to figure it out ahead of time in an attempt to avoid missteps. But at some point, it all begins to look like too many words on a page and one just has to get started, no? That's what I feel like anyway.

I originally thought I was going to startup a 75g marine tank with corals and all that. I read some more, changed my mind, continued to read, visited all the LFS I could get to via subway or bicycle to get a feel for what's out there, and finally wound up here at The Planted Tank with some very specific ideas about what I'd like to achieve in a 20g long tank, which I look very forward to buying just as soon as I figure out which tank is best. *sigh* Back to the reading. This hobby is supposed to be relaxing, right?

See you on the forum.
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Welcome and "Forget about it"
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
j03yYunG
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatWithGravy View Post
Hello! My name is Dave. I'm as wet behind the ears as they come -- where fishkeeping is concerned, anyway. More generally speaking, I've been around the block a few times. I'm a middle-aged bartender from Brooklyn, New York.

I'm here at The Planted Tank to learn. Perhaps someday I'll get to teach somebody something. But for now, I'm full of questions and wonder. I haven't got a tank yet, just a bunch of aspirations and a tight budget. Haha. I've been reading for the past couple months online. Trying to figure it out ahead of time in an attempt to avoid missteps. But at some point, it all begins to look like too many words on a page and one just has to get started, no? That's what I feel like anyway.

I originally thought I was going to startup a 75g marine tank with corals and all that. I read some more, changed my mind, continued to read, visited all the LFS I could get to via subway or bicycle to get a feel for what's out there, and finally wound up here at The Planted Tank with some very specific ideas about what I'd like to achieve in a 20g long tank, which I look very forward to buying just as soon as I figure out which tank is best. *sigh* Back to the reading. This hobby is supposed to be relaxing, right?

See you on the forum.
I'm not sure what your budget is, but I would suggest getting a rimless tank like a ADA 60-F if you want something similar to 20 gal L. It's very modern looking and nice.
j03yYunG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
MeatWithGravy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Welcome and "Forget about it"
Haha! You mean, hey, DogFish, "fuggedaboudit!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03yYunG View Post
I'm not sure what your budget is, but I would suggest getting a rimless tank like a ADA 60-F if you want something similar to 20 gal L. It's very modern looking and nice.
I definitely prefer the clean look of the rimless tanks. Will likely go this route. From what I gather, ADA is basically the creme de la creme of the rimless set. Do I have this correct?

Thanks for the input, j03yYunG.

Last edited by MeatWithGravy; 10-22-2013 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: Avoiding a double post.
MeatWithGravy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
j03yYunG
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (52/100%)

Yup, ADA is one of the best rimless tanks you can get.
j03yYunG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
JesusReynolds
Algae Grower

welcome have fun and enjoy the stay here try to make it more remarkable one
Old 10-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Dave - Pardon my Chicago interpretation of Brooklynesse

Keying in on the "tight budget" point you might look at Mr Aqua tanks if you want Glass. I've bought from this supllier many times and have never had a bad experience: http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_...FIAQRA-vi.html

Thinking about NYC subways or Bicycle/ on foot travel Acrylic tanks might be an option. A 40 gl acrylic tank might weigh 5#s?

If you hit my Sig line link, Dogfish's 40B you can see my 40gl acrylic tank.

Good luck & welcome to the forums
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Aquasafe
Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquasafe

Hi Dave! Welcome to TPT!
Aquasafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Welcome to the forum!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #10
MeatWithGravy
Algae Grower

Thanks, everyone! I'll look at MarineDepot.com, DogFish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.