40B Mark I - thornomad
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
thornomad
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

40B Mark I - thornomad

This is my first tank! First planted tank! First planted tank journal!

I started this journey more than six months ago; in the midst of planning this tank, I moved all the way across the USA. I finally got things started in September of 2013. I'll update this post with pictures.

Am tracking stuff at: Aquatic Log

Filter: Eheim 2217
Heater: Ebo Jager 150w
CO2: Green Leaf Aquarium setup w/20# tank
Lighting: Build My LED (here's the link to what I got)
Ferts: [s](EI dosing)[/s]
Flora: Anubias, wisteria, cabomba, HC, and some others

DSM Day 1

DSM Day 30

Flood Day 1 (planted some)

Flood Day Day 9 (planted some)

Day 15:

Day 22:

3 Months, 9 days (after some considerable drama)

Last edited by thornomad; 01-11-2014 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: Adding images
thornomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Roczero
Algae Grower

Nice tank
Roczero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Really nice looking
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #4
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

I think it looks great. I think if you tilted and angled the fist piece of driftwood and added another it would give the tank a lot more depth. Just one of the things I've learned over my numerous tank tear downs and build ups. Lots of wood and let the wood be the dividers
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
thornomad
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I think it looks great. I think if you tilted and angled the fist piece of driftwood and added another it would give the tank a lot more depth. Just one of the things I've learned over my numerous tank tear downs and build ups. Lots of wood and let the wood be the dividers
I did want some more wood ... but I haven't had time to go searching for it or creating my own and I don't have the budget to keep buying more just yet. Maybe I'll add some more later ... I love the look of wood in the water. I also wanted to try and get some moss to grow on the wood ... would like another piece.

Do you mean to tilt it *up* ? So that the long part on the floor is raised more ?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
thornomad
Algae Grower

Here is another full tank shot from yesterday. Will add it to the first post as well.

I posted some of my concerns in a new thread to see if I can get this baby purring a little better. Having some fits and starts.

I also had some BGA I dealt with ... am happy that it's calmed down and out of sight for the time being.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
thornomad
Algae Grower

Had a lot going on but here is a FTS update. Need more time to post more details. But here's a pic.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Steezy B
Algae Grower

your tank is filling in very nicely! what powerhead are you using?
Steezy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
thornomad
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy B View Post
your tank is filling in very nicely! what powerhead are you using?
That is a Hydor Koralia Nano 425 ... Seems to do a real nice job. Don't have fish in there yet but when I get them in the next couple weeks am hoping it keeps the oxygen exchange on the positive side.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Steezy B
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornomad View Post
That is a Hydor Koralia Nano 425 ... Seems to do a real nice job. Don't have fish in there yet but when I get them in the next couple weeks am hoping it keeps the oxygen exchange on the positive side.
It looks like your powerhead is moving water towards your spray bar,,, any reason for this?
Steezy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
thornomad
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy B View Post
It looks like your powerhead is moving water towards your spray bar,,, any reason for this?
The spray bar is pointed down about 25 degrees into the tank and the powerhead is pointed up at the surface ... I don't think it's ideal but am not sure how else to position it ... I can't get the powerhead on the same side as the spray bar because there is no space between the wall ... I could move the spray bar to the opposite side of the tank but then it would be hitting the driftwood mostly ...

I could put the powerhead on the back wall but I suspect it will be covered with plants in a bit.

Am open to other setup suggestions.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #12
thornomad
Algae Grower

Hey everyone - came back from holiday to a pleasant surprise. Stuff is really growing. I finally put some fish in there (ten neon tetras, to start).

Am going to get more fish ... maybe another 10-20 tetras, some cory cats of a sort and one other fish or two. Wanted to give these ten a try for a while and make sure I didn't have any drama (like I did with the plants the first few months -- which now seems to be resolved).

I also am going to try and get a nice big reddish plant for the back right corner which is now empty.

Thanks for looking.

Any thoughts on plants or fish?

And what do you do when you have too many plants?! Never thought I would see the day!

Old 01-11-2014, 03:58 AM   #13
Klinckman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

beautiful tank, glad to see some fish in it.
Klinckman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #14
EndlerGame
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornomad View Post
Hey everyone - came back from holiday to a pleasant surprise. Stuff is really growing. I finally put some fish in there (ten neon tetras, to start).

Am going to get more fish ... maybe another 10-20 tetras, some cory cats of a sort and one other fish or two. Wanted to give these ten a try for a while and make sure I didn't have any drama (like I did with the plants the first few months -- which now seems to be resolved).

I also am going to try and get a nice big reddish plant for the back right corner which is now empty.

Thanks for looking.

Any thoughts on plants or fish?

And what do you do when you have too many plants?! Never thought I would see the day!

I too have recently reached the point where it's getting harder and harder to find a place to plant new cuttings. Amd it would be a shame to just throw them away...maybe another tank in the near future? Also, you've got a great HC carpet going there, I wish mine looked as nice, but it is plagued with hair algae, can't pick it out of all those tiny leaves!

A suggestion I have for a red plant in the back corner is Alternathera reineckii. It is an easy to grow stem plant with really strong red leaves with pinkinsh undersides. I bought just a few weak looking stems from a chain pet shop a few months back and now I've got dense bunches growing in multiple tanks. Look up some pictures to see it, but its even nicer in person. Would really add a great contrast to all the nice bright greens you've got going on in there.

As for fish, to anyone looking for a school of tetras to keep in their planted tank, I always recommend Harlequin rasboras. If you haven't kept them before, that's definitely a species to consider. They may be kind of small and skinny at the store, but if you get healthy stock and feed them well, they'll quickly fill out and color up. Though, they don't have the "flash" of neons and cardinals, They do have a nice unique pattern with a silvery body and black triangle on each side with reddish-orange coming in at the fins.. A more subtle beauty and a very elegant looking fish in my opinion, and they really show off their very best coloration in a planted tank. If y0u can't tell, I like these guys..

For a larger specimen fish, you might consider some of the larger gouramis, either a pair of Pearls or one of the various color variations of the Three-spot gourami (gold, blue, opaline). They would spend most of their time near the top of the tank, and with the tetras occupying the middle areas and a school of corys at the bottom, it would make for a balanced system visually.

Anyway, great tank, really nice plant growth. I've enjoyed watching it develop and look forward to continuing to do so...
Then again, that fish would probably bite on a cigarette butt.

-Stef*
EndlerGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
thornomad
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlerGame View Post
A suggestion I have for a red plant in the back corner is Alternathera reineckii. It is an easy to grow stem plant with really strong red leaves with pinkinsh undersides. I bought just a few weak looking stems from a chain pet shop a few months back and now I've got dense bunches growing in multiple tanks. Look up some pictures to see it, but its even nicer in person. Would really add a great contrast to all the nice bright greens you've got going on in there.
That is a great suggestion for a red plant. Does look great on Google images. Am going to jot that down and check see if it is around here (Bay Area, CA).

Thanks for the ideas about the fish too - I've noted that and will keep my eye out during my next trip to the store.