frroK's ADA Mini-M REDUX ! --journey complete - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #121
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Atomic diffuser back in and better than ever. Nice and white. Amazing what a little bleach soaking can do!
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #122
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Atomic diffuser back in and better than ever. Nice and white. Amazing what a little bleach soaking can do!
Bleach destroys algae. I love it to clean my pipes.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #123
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Looks good... I'm not sure if this matters any in a nano tank, but I've been always told to place the drop checker on the opposite end of the diffuser.

You should probably (just a suggestion), put the diffuser on the same side as the outflow so you can get a better distribution of the co2. Then again, it's a small tank so I'm not sure if it matters?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #124
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Looks good... I'm not sure if this matters any in a nano tank, but I've been always told to place the drop checker on the opposite end of the diffuser.

You should probably (just a suggestion), put the diffuser on the same side as the outflow so you can get a better distribution of the co2. Then again, it's a small tank so I'm not sure if it matters?
Cool. Thanks for the suggestion Brian. Never really thought about it. But I think it makes sense.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 10-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #125
ThatGuyWithTheFish
Suspended

PTrader: (23/100%)

Why is your inflow pipe backwards?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #126
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Why is your inflow pipe backwards?
It's an aquatic magic lily pipe. That's how they are made. Not sure of the reasoning behind it. It was $50 shipped for the set. So that's your answer right there.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 10-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #127
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

any update?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #128
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I don't know why I didn't see this but nice recovery. It looks like you have finally found some sort of balance here so I hope this keeps going well.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #129
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
any update?
Not much to update. I'm doing maintenance tonight, I'll snap a pic. Thx!
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #130
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I don't know why I didn't see this but nice recovery. It looks like you have finally found some sort of balance here so I hope this keeps going well.
Hey thanks man. Still struggling with some algae but it's definitely coming around, albeit slowly.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 10-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #131
frrok
Wannabe Guru

As promised.

BBA And hair algae slowly starting to take over. I tried to dose with h2o2 but I'm not diligent enough with it. Just don't have the time. I've just about had enough with this scape/tank. I was going to stock with some rasboras but now I'm starting to reconsider. I'm going on a 2 week trip in January and I'd rather not stock then have to figure out what to with fish. I think want to rescape this again anyway. So. I'll see this tank through until the end of the year and most likely rescape when I get back from my trip. Or unless algae gets out of control. I might just tear it down and save some ferts and co2. Lol. I feel like I need a clean break. New soil, new hardscape, plants, etc... Hell, maybe even new filter media. Start completely fresh. We shall see. My real passion is to get a bigger tank. But my current financial situation makes it unfeasible. And I refuse to get a cheap tank. Just not my style. Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone. It's really nice to have this community of people who you can count on for support.

Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 10-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #132
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
As promised.

BBA And hair algae slowly starting to take over. I tried to dose with h2o2 but I'm not diligent enough with it. Just don't have the time. I've just about had enough with this scape/tank. I was going to stock with some rasboras but now I'm starting to reconsider.
Dare I say Algae fix, especially if the tank isn't stocked. H2O2 can negatively effect HC, many says it doesn't, I know it does. Not as bad as Excel but it can destroy it. Algae fix may not kill BBA, I really can't remember but it lets you get ahead of things and is super easy.

It just looks like you are starting to win in the pics. Even if you just cleaned the glass, plants are looking good.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #133
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

It does look good, just needs some growth. More plant mass might help with the algae. I would turn the co2 up if possible.

I know how it is to want to ignore the tank for a while. Sometimes I just take it down and leave it empty for a while. Throw some soil in there eventually and plan a scape when you get the time.

I'm in the same boat with wanting a bigger tank. I'd love to do a 90p or 120p but I really shouldn't while I am busy with school/career stuff. A couple years down the road and I will. You should throw some cherry shrimp in there. Make a little bit of money just to keep in the hobby fund. Thats what I do anyway.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #134
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Dare I say Algae fix, especially if the tank isn't stocked. H2O2 can negatively effect HC, many says it doesn't, I know it does. Not as bad as Excel but it can destroy it. Algae fix may not kill BBA, I really can't remember but it lets you get ahead of things and is super easy.

It just looks like you are starting to win in the pics. Even if you just cleaned the glass, plants are looking good.
I do have some livestock, 2 amanos and an otto. but I can easily move them if I had to. And I agree with H2o2 and HC. I killed the first batch of it that I had dosing too much. Plants are growing but so is the algae. Only a matter of time before the algae wins. thanks for helping man...its appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
It does look good, just needs some growth. More plant mass might help with the algae. I would turn the co2 up if possible.

I know how it is to want to ignore the tank for a while. Sometimes I just take it down and leave it empty for a while. Throw some soil in there eventually and plan a scape when you get the time.

I'm in the same boat with wanting a bigger tank. I'd love to do a 90p or 120p but I really shouldn't while I am busy with school/career stuff. A couple years down the road and I will. You should throw some cherry shrimp in there. Make a little bit of money just to keep in the hobby fund. Thats what I do anyway.
Theres a lot of plants but at this point this tank has been running for so long that it really doesn't matter. algae has already settled in. Unless I keep on top if it everyday its only going to get worse. Thanks for the help man...means alot.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 10-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #135
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

ok whoa!! just finished reading your journal. man, you have been on quite the journey with the tank. I showed my wife the youtube video you took and said "see, that's a cool little tank out there on the rock. yeah?" she agreed.

But man oh man did the algae monster come looking for you!! But first off, let me say, I think your tank looks awesome right now. It looks like it is starting to bounce back in a major way but it may be too late if it is starting to get under your skin. I think by January it should be pretty lush. The mini m's are hard because it is such a small amount of water. And when you start tinkering with it to address a problem that arises like bga, aquarists like ourselves feel like we are chasing after the wind. I forget who wrote the comment in this thread, but somebody had mentioned that it may be fortuitous to simplify. Once you start throwing erythromycin into the water the road can get quite bumpy.

Did you say that you measured the PAR from this light? What is your photoperiod btw? I've only had bga issues once in a 29g more than 10 years ago....whoa. I remember I had manually removed it and increased the water flow which seemed to help. How often do you clean your filter? Once a month? Do you change the filter floss media for the 2211 near the propeller? I change mine every three weeks or so and replace it with batting. It always gets way dirtier than I imagined and has a dramatic effect on the water flow.

What's also hard with these small tanks is that when we address a problem or change a particular aspect pertaining to the water quality, we want to see results immediately. sometimes it takes weeks before we see results and take notice of how our plants respond. but if the result doesn't formulate sooner, we go at it harder. I'm speaking solely for myself and my experiences here but I think you may be able to glean something out of this diatribe I'm having.

Not sure what your tank regiment is like, but I think you should rinse your filter media, switch out the filter floss, raise the light on your tank a few inches higher, reduce your photo period to 6 hours and manually remove any algae you see along the way. bga is a bacterial problem, which your most aware of, but maybe these little adjustments will calm the algae storm. I've read how cyanobacteria thrives off of the smallest available nutrients, but don't let that keep you from dosing. and don't forget the co2. keep it cranking if you don't have any fauna in there. This all should buy you some time and maybe make the tank more manageable. And those plants will grow. they will most definitely grow.

clean filter, ample light (you don't need high light intensity for those plants), more than adequate co2, and ferts and you will be ok.

Not sure what you will need to do when you go away for your trip that you mentioned. You could possible raise the light even higher when you are gone and keep the photoperiod to 6 hours and your nutrient co2 demand will be more manageable in your absence. just some thoughts for the surfing aquarist out on the rock.

-w