oxygen problem
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 10-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
20cc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (17/100%)

oxygen problem

i have this weird problem that has happened twice . today and a month ago allready. In the morning i notice my fish are gasping for air at the top of the tank . this is hours before lights on so co2 is off . i cant explain what can cause this as i am fairly new to the hobby really . can it be the UV sterilizer is all i can think it could be. both times i just did a water change and all was fine. water parameters are spot on.

any input from you pros is appreciated....thanks

Last edited by 20cc; 10-23-2013 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
20cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Interesting problem... What is the temp in the tank? There's less dissolved oxygen at higher temps.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

Keep a nice ripple going on the surface. What filter are you using?
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
20cc
Algae Grower

tank temp is kept at 78f , during lights on it rises a couple degrees. i run 2 cascade 1000 filters on this tank. its a 65 gallon .
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

Have you tried running a bubbler?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
ezlivin

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've had this same problem twice also. First time, it resolved in a couple hours. I had no idea as to it's cause. PH: OK. Ammonia: OK. Tank parameters: 55 gal, temp 76, ph: 6, fish: apistos, cardinals, angelfish, killies. I use Flourish excel and trace elements. SunSun canister filter with UV. Change 25% water per week. Have an air pump which runs on a timer, comes on at night.
Second time it happened fish showing rapid respiration, some breathing at top.
I thought, OK, what have I done to my fish, or, what am I not doing? The only think I could think of: During the day, after the pump is off, there is little water flow from the canister. So, while the fish were in distress, I turned on the air pump, jacked it up, created rapid water movement at surface. Two hours later: fish back to normal. I now run the air pump much stronger at night, create excellent water movement, turn off when I dose with Flourish in the AM, and my fish have been doing fine.
I cannot think of anything else it might be: nitrogen problems don't exist in my tanks, I'm too careful. Have two other tanks with identical water parameters the only difference filters provide good water movement. Never had this happen in the other tanks. 20CC, you write that you are somewhat new to the hobby. The only advice I give to a new fellow hobbyist: Be aware of the dangers of ammonia!! Never overfeed your fish, they should practically eat everything before it hits the bottom of the tank. Doesn't hurt to keep the fish a little hungry all the time. I learned the hard way 30 years ago.
ezlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
20cc
Algae Grower

no i dont run bubbler but it looks like im going to have to start running one at night cause i dont want to wake up and find my fish floating. overfeeding is something that i have had to teach myself not to do . from what i have read plants take in oxygen at night maybe thats the reason there is no oxygen in the morning in the water...i dunno its weird.

thanks for your input everyone
Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
20cc
Algae Grower

well i as i was organizing the cabinet under the tank i saw that i didnt plug back in one of the filters....DOH. so maybe that was the issue . i cant remember if i did the same thing last time but still, one filter should be enough to handle that tank no ? anyway thanks for the responses, i put in a bubble to run at night just in case.....