Fat Guy's ADA Iwagumi- moving across the country!! - Page 18
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #256
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Love the closeup shot, you can really see whats going on. My E. acicularis does not grow that tall. Must be my lighting def grows more compact and shorter but not as short as the belem. do u get any problems with cyano bacteria at all?
yeah, my e acicularis will grow all the way up to the surface and then some more. It also grows extremely fast. My goal with it is to contain it to the back and clip any runners that try to make their way forward. I haven't had any issues with cyano bacteria. Mainly gda on the glass now. over the summer the tank can get some direct sunlight at the end of the day if I forget to close the blinds in my apartment. I feel like this was the driving culprit for my gda issues which doesn't seem to ever go away. but yeah, no cyano bacteria in this tank (yet).

I am pleased with the powder on the aqua soil. I wonder if the old aquasoil and the detritus that was present on the surface of the soil had anything to do with algae issues in the tank. Having a 3mm or so layer on top with the powder soil...will that have an effect on the substrate overall and the way that the plants grow as well as algae? I'm definitely a noob when it comes to substrate conditioning/longevity...I've never siphoned any detritus from the top of the substrate before (mainly because I never saw it until recently with the old aqua soil). What are the benefits of "capping" your substrate? And is that what I have done with the aquasoil powder? this may be a question for the experts.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #257
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
yeah, my e acicularis will grow all the way up to the surface and then some more. It also grows extremely fast. My goal with it is to contain it to the back and clip any runners that try to make their way forward. I haven't had any issues with cyano bacteria. Mainly gda on the glass now. over the summer the tank can get some direct sunlight at the end of the day if I forget to close the blinds in my apartment. I feel like this was the driving culprit for my gda issues which doesn't seem to ever go away. but yeah, no cyano bacteria in this tank (yet).

I am pleased with the powder on the aqua soil. I wonder if the old aquasoil and the detritus that was present on the surface of the soil had anything to do with algae issues in the tank. Having a 3mm or so layer on top with the powder soil...will that have an effect on the substrate overall and the way that the plants grow as well as algae? I'm definitely a noob when it comes to substrate conditioning/longevity...I've never siphoned any detritus from the top of the substrate before (mainly because I never saw it until recently with the old aqua soil). What are the benefits of "capping" your substrate? And is that what I have done with the aquasoil powder? this may be a question for the experts.
I have the same detritus problem and my tank is next to a window as well. I can say for sure that my GDA is due to the tank being close to the window. Last week when it was cloudy had much less of it after my weekly maintenance water change. our tanks are very similar... thanks for the replies.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #258
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Hey frrok,

I totally missed your new journal ADA MINI-M Redux. I kept picturing the older setup before the storm. Your tank looks great!! I really like your rock layout. What's the airstone in your tank for. Do you run that at night when the lights go out for the co2 to degas?

updated pic now that the bubbles have cleared-
Old 10-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #259
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
I think that E. Hydropiper just takes a while to get settled in and transition to your tank. But once t does it will take off rather quick
hey pioanofish. the hydropiper has been growing for over a month now. I can't quite explain why the stems on the right started to brown around the stalk and detach. the sprouts on the left are doing great and spreading.

In other news, the e. acicularis looks awesome in the current. It waves back and forth like wild grass in the wind. digging it.

Last edited by Fat Guy; 10-23-2013 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: grmmar!
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #260
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

still growing

Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #261
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I am loving the layout, patiently waiting for it to grow in.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #262
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Hey frrok,

I totally missed your new journal ADA MINI-M Redux. I kept picturing the older setup before the storm. Your tank looks great!! I really like your rock layout. What's the airstone in your tank for. Do you run that at night when the lights go out for the co2 to degas?
hey man, Thanks! I saw your post…been meaning to reply. thanks for checking it out. Yea the airstone is for night time aeration/degassing. goes on when the c02 shuts off.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #263
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

cleaned out the filter yesterday. upped the co2 a bit. just the occasional gda that gets on the glass that I wipe away after each wc. still no gda on the rock. hope for it to stay that way. snipping the e. acicularis runners when they appear. hydropiper and e. belem are growing well.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #264
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Looking good man, congrats on the spreading hydropiper!
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #265
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Looking good man, congrats on the spreading hydropiper!
thanks. It seems to really grow well on the left side. I like the pace at which the hydropiper and the belem grow. the acicularis keeps you on your toes.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #266
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

still growing. saw some small tufts of what looked like bba however it was light green and would come detached from the rock with almost zero effort. This seems to happen after I dose micros. sometimes I dose some additional iron even though I don't think I need to. I wonder if iron has any relationship with this type of algae. I have a lot of co2 cranking because there are just snails in here. only seem to have algae issue after dosing seachem comprehensive, but I doubt that's the culprit. I'm pretty sure it's from upping the lighting wattage over the tank back to the 27w bulb that the tank comes with. Light and co2 increase, but I think I need to increase the nutrients now. the filter I cleaned a couple of days ago and the substrate hasn't been disturbed. I'm gonna approach the small issue with manual removal and nutrient increase. Now that the plants have settled in more and are growing well, I think the fert uptake must increase.

Last edited by Fat Guy; 11-10-2013 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: more info
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #267
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Yup. The Solar mini is setup with a 27W out of the box. I reduced the wattage by using 18watt bulbs instead of 27W. My 18w pc is a 6700K and 10000k bulb. I made the switch way back in December of last year and have been pleased with the results and light color. I find the tank to be more manageable with a little more wiggle room for error.
Hey Fat Guy, where do you get the 18W bulbs and how much do they cost? The $25 replacement bulbs from AFA are ridiculously overpriced.
volatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #268
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I think seachem comp has a decent amount of iron in it. So maybe thats why you are seeing this algae respond after you dose that or iron. Its responding to the excess. I dont think with the plants you have you need any additional iron.
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #269
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

I love this tank. The rock work makes the tank in my opinion. Probably my favorite mini m at the moment.

I was sitting in class today reading this thread and a few people behind me commented on how great the tank looks. Congrats.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #270
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Hey Fat Guy, where do you get the 18W bulbs and how much do they cost? The $25 replacement bulbs from AFA are ridiculously overpriced.
I got the 18w bulb from marine depot (I think). In a perfect world I'd find a way to raise the light higher, but not with this setup though. I just replaced the 18w with a new bulb from AFA though.

Tags
ada, iwagumi, lily, mini m