New Rili came with...deflated eggs? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #16
HSA1255
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Would Hydrogen Peroxide diluted with tank water work for a swab of the area? I also wonder if a tea would work... fresh herb ground up and then boiled and cooled... that may be less effective treatment wise, but more cost effective. This post was interesting; http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa157
I'm sure you can find other sources of info on the hydrogen peroxide but this shows it is accepted in treating fish. A swab of H2O2 diluted in water on the infected area could work.
HSA1255 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
Sakurajelly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Trying Hydrogen Peroxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSA1255 View Post
Would Hydrogen Peroxide diluted with tank water work for a swab of the area? I also wonder if a tea would work... fresh herb ground up and then boiled and cooled... that may be less effective treatment wise, but more cost effective. This post was interesting; http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa157
I'm sure you can find other sources of info on the hydrogen peroxide but this shows it is accepted in treating fish. A swab of H2O2 diluted in water on the infected area could work.
I happened to have some Hydrogen Peroxide in the house and a small syringe, so I thought I'd try this out!
I took most of the water out of the little container so there was only about a cup left, then netted the shrimp and held her barely submerged so she couldn't flail away very far. I gently dripped the H2O2 onto her tail (she did do some wiggling so it was kind of catch-as-catch-can). I tried to let it "soak in" for a second or two and then re-submerged her. I used about 1 mL in total and then refilled the container with tank water. She is resting again and still under observation.

The salt dip seems to have done little or nothing, though the shrimp is behaving normally (or as expected of a stressed shrimp in a container). It seems that 24+ hours in a bucket is not too dangerous for these guys as long as you give them fresh water a few times a day.

I will definitely let you know how she progresses with the H2O2. Thank you for the tip!
Sakurajelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Sakurajelly
Algae Grower

Shrimp is still alive in the container, though still stressed in coloration while the tank mates are all colorful and very active. I have been watching and none of the others seem to be showing this weird green parasite.

I used H2O2 last night and it's hard to tell but there MIGHT have been a very slight reduction in the size/spread of the green stuff. I did a second application this evening and gave her a few leaves of a plant from the tank so she could browse on it. She is using it for cover but doesn't seem very happy.

I really don't want to put this shrimp back into the tank unless the stuff clears up. :c
Old 10-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

I hate to say it, Sakurajelly, however have you thought about culling it?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
Sakurajelly
Algae Grower

I have thought about it, and it seems the shrimp has culled itself since I got home. I suppose the stress was too much for the poor thing. I was trying to use her as an experiment to see if there was a quick fix for this disease, whatever it is, in case it popped up in the community tank, as it might have been carried on the other Rilis. It looks like there might not be, but luckily I haven't seen it on the other shrimp... though I have had two deaths since I added the Fire Reds--not sure if they were the previous shrimp or the new ones. It's seemed to be one yesterday and one today. The others are very active and scooting around the tank as normal.

I hope they are just random deaths and not related to whatever got the Rili.
Thanks everyone for your advice!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

Sorry about your shrimp.

The other deaths are probably from introducing new bacteria. Each breeder has their own bacteria in the tank. When adding new shrimp, both have to get used to new bacteria. No real way around that.

Tags
disease, rili, rili shrimp, shrimp eggs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.