cyanobacteria appearing in my 1week old tank... HELP
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 02-17-2004, 12:38 AM   #1
law
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm not sure if I can deal with the cyanobacteria developing in my 1 week tank. I have no test kits yet (won't be here for another week) so I can't give readings for help. Besides removing it manually every day, is there anything else I can do to help clear things up?

This cyanobacteria grows quick!! Im afriad that my entire tank will be taken over by the time my testing kits arrive.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.
-law
law is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2004, 03:35 AM   #2
law
Algae Grower

erythromicin.

I'll try to read/search previous posts before panicking & posting.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:34 AM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (165/100%)

However... try to battle the source of the problem too.

Increase water movement if you feel water is too stagnant.

Increase CO2 if it is less than optimal for plant growth.

Add plants if you have to few. Change water and clean filter to keep the amount of organics low in the water.

Last but most importantly check Nitrates and Phosphates... hopefully you will get the test kits soon.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:25 AM   #4
law
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info, Wasserpest. I've removed some manually and increased the water movement. Flourish Excel will be added to raise CO2 and I'll add a few more plants.

I'm almost tempted to pay the LFS prices for the test kits. Must........ resist....... already...........on......order.

It's crazy how a little bacteria can ruin someone's day.

-law
Old 02-17-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
However... try to battle the source of the problem too.

Increase water movement if you feel water is too stagnant.

Increase CO2 if it is less than optimal for plant growth.

Add plants if you have to few. Change water and clean filter to keep the amount of organics low in the water.

Last but most importantly check Nitrates and Phosphates... hopefully you will get the test kits soon.
Listen to Wasserpest here. Don't throw arithromycin into your tank yet. You just set it up. You can beat the bacteria if you master your elements. Only use the medication if the stuff starts to blanket your entire substrate.

If you use it now, you're probably going to have it show up again, considering you don't know why it's forming yet. And if you go to use the meds again, you may be dissappointed.

Bacteria have an interesting way of building up an immunity to medications if routinely dosed.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:26 PM   #6
law
Algae Grower

Thanks guys. I will hold off on the medication and will try to figure out the source of the problem. This also happened in a 6gallon tank of mine. I pretty much gave up on it and was just waiting for some free time to re-do the tank. After about ~1month of not doing anything to it besides reg. water changes, the tank mysteriously cleaned itself up and all the plants/rocks were clean as a whistle. The water was also the clearest it has ever been. Did the Tank Fairy come to clean my tank?

The only difference I can think of was the lid not being open all the time. I used to keep it open so the heat could escape. I've read in another post that BGA is also found in the air so that could possible be the source of the BGA in my tanks. The newly planted tank also had the back part of the tank exposed. I covered the opening up as much as I could with some plastic -- hopefully that'll help some.

Maybe a few air purifiers around the house could help keep the airborn BGA levels down?
Old 02-17-2004, 06:42 PM   #7
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by law
Thanks guys. I will hold off on the medication and will try to figure out the source of the problem. This also happened in a 6gallon tank of mine. I pretty much gave up on it and was just waiting for some free time to re-do the tank. After about ~1month of not doing anything to it besides reg. water changes, the tank mysteriously cleaned itself up and all the plants/rocks were clean as a whistle. The water was also the clearest it has ever been. Did the Tank Fairy come to clean my tank?

The only difference I can think of was the lid not being open all the time. I used to keep it open so the heat could escape. I've read in another post that BGA is also found in the air so that could possible be the source of the BGA in my tanks. The newly planted tank also had the back part of the tank exposed. I covered the opening up as much as I could with some plastic -- hopefully that'll help some.

Maybe a few air purifiers around the house could help keep the airborn BGA levels down?

I don't think it's coming from the air in your house.

It's usually a sign of some sort of imbalance.

Too much light, not enough macros, lack of co2, stagnant water...
Old 02-17-2004, 07:20 PM   #8
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwise
law,

You're being too paranoid. Cyanobacteria is not going to thrive unless conditions are favorable for them, which include extremely low nitrogen level and poor water circulation, with the former aspect being more important. Perform the black out regime as detailed in the earlier thread, and try not to let nitrogen concentration falls too low in the future.

Focus on growing plants well, not ways to kill algae. Algae will diminish significantly with good plant growth. In the end, that's the best algae cure.
I've read that the black out routine does not work for Cyanobacteria.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:35 PM   #9
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Go to the Krib on the net and locate Blue Green Algae topic under plants and read away.

It's in there somewhere. Somebody saying something about the black out method not working. If I had time I'd give you a direct link to the article.

Granted, not all the articles are spot on cures, but the guy who wrote the article seemed pretty adamant about not using lights.

Anyhoo.

If it works for you, I believe you. I just attack it a different way by trying other remedies such as water movement and monitoring my levels in the tank before going for the full black out method.

arithromycin works really well, but I wouldn't use it until absolutely necessary.

I think it can be a real problem if it starts to compeletely take over. A little of it doesn't bother me. Sometimes it has been known to just flat out disappear.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:41 PM   #10
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Here, found it, search for this article:

]Blue-green algae and erythromycin, a summary. (long 8k)
by -at-Tony.Clementz.mikrbiol.lu.se (Tony Clementz)
Date: 7 Feb 92
Newsgroup: rec.aquaria

It was written in 92, so hey, things change.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:58 AM   #11
law
Algae Grower

I'll try the blackout

A few new plants were added to the tank today (glosso, crinum calimistratum, cryptocoryne lucens & micro sword). They were shipped via mail that probably took 3-5 days. Should I let them recharge for a day or two before doing the blackout?

-law
Old 02-18-2004, 01:33 PM   #12
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

letting them recharge is up to you. that's a terribly long time to have plants in transit..they may all die off regardless of a recharge before blackout.
When ordering plants, try to get shipping that gets them to you in 48 hours or less.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #13
law
Algae Grower

Quote:
letting them recharge is up to you. that's a terribly long time to have plants in transit..they may all die off regardless of a recharge before blackout.
When ordering plants, try to get shipping that gets them to you in 48 hours or less.
I was just guessing on the 3-5 days shipping. Most of the plants survived and looked very healthy when I recieved them. The plants were ordered from aquariumgarden.com (great service, btw).. so however long it takes them to ship it.

The Crinum tenticles are starting to brown.. hopefully it'll recover.

-law