A Match Made in Heaven: 12g Long & Current LED+ (OEBT feeding video page 9) - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #76
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

Lacking updates lately due to some algae issues, looks like some bba or look-alike starting on my old repens leaves.. some short fuzz algae on the edges of lots of leaves on the rotala, moss and hairgrass, worst of all just enough diatoms to generally make the tank look like crap. Can't really figure it out, everything is where it needs to be. I've been dosing macro and micros every day, meanwhile my shrimp population has dwindled down to just a couple. Pretty disappointing and proof positive to me that there is much more to this than rigorously following the ideas of EI, having excess Co2 with good circulation and clear rippling surface. If I could get rid of the diatoms I'd be okay with it.

Nitrates ~ 20-30ppm
Phosphates ~ 1ppm (dosed daily as it's being absorbed by the aquasoil)
K ~ ?

25% PWC Monday and Friday.
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #77
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Lacking updates lately due to some algae issues, looks like some bba or look-alike starting on my old repens leaves.. some short fuzz algae on the edges of lots of leaves on the rotala, moss and hairgrass, worst of all just enough diatoms to generally make the tank look like crap. Can't really figure it out, everything is where it needs to be. I've been dosing macro and micros every day, meanwhile my shrimp population has dwindled down to just a couple. Pretty disappointing and proof positive to me that there is much more to this than rigorously following the ideas of EI, having excess Co2 with good circulation and clear rippling surface. If I could get rid of the diatoms I'd be okay with it.

Nitrates ~ 20-30ppm
Phosphates ~ 1ppm (dosed daily as it's being absorbed by the aquasoil)
K ~ ?

25% PWC Monday and Friday.
Well if you figure out the diatom thing let me know! I hate that stuff. Maybe the death of some shrimps have caused the diatom bloom?

Are the numbers at the bottom the tested values of your water? or the amount you're dosing each day?

Hows the plant growth? Any signs of a deficiency?
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #78
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

Everything I can find on Diatoms says it should burn itself out, it uses silicates which I'd guess my rock hard water is loaded with, doesn't seem to require much light as my filter and hoses are coated with the stuff.

I'm really not sure what caused it but I have a feeling it might have something to do with increased PO4 dosage I've been adding. About a month ago I started testing PO4 and getting 0 readings the next day, even when I doubled the dose.. It turns out that Aquasoil absorbs PO4 so I decided to add 1ppm every day, because no PO4 in the water column is bad right? So many people using aquasoil but I can't find any discussion on this really, *shrug*

Also because of aquasoil leeching ammonia I don't add much KNO3, only about 1-2ppm per day. The tank water stays between 10-30ppm (I'd have to calibrate the API kit to know for sure)

I think the fuzz algae might be due to too much iron, I'm guessing my water is already high in iron and I'm using the old "CSM+B plus iron" for trace.

I'm going to cut back on all the ferts and light a little to see what happens.

Plant growth is excellent other than diatoms smothering a little.
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #79
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Everything I can find on Diatoms says it should burn itself out, it uses silicates which I'd guess my rock hard water is loaded with, doesn't seem to require much light as my filter and hoses are coated with the stuff.

I'm really not sure what caused it but I have a feeling it might have something to do with increased PO4 dosage I've been adding. About a month ago I started testing PO4 and getting 0 readings the next day, even when I doubled the dose.. It turns out that Aquasoil absorbs PO4 so I decided to add 1ppm every day, because no PO4 in the water column is bad right? So many people using aquasoil but I can't find any discussion on this really, *shrug*

Also because of aquasoil leeching ammonia I don't add much KNO3, only about 1-2ppm per day. The tank water stays between 10-30ppm (I'd have to calibrate the API kit to know for sure)

I think the fuzz algae might be due to too much iron, I'm guessing my water is already high in iron and I'm using the old "CSM+B plus iron" for trace.

I'm going to cut back on all the ferts and light a little to see what happens.

Plant growth is excellent other than diatoms smothering a little.
That is interesting you mention that Aquasoil absorbs PO4. I just googled it. The articles also mentioned that it would release it into the root system.

Maybe go back to your old doses of PO4 and see if that helps alleviate the problem, even though the test kit says it was 0, was anything else wrong with the system?
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #80
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

I've been going back and forth in my head about what to do. At this point I'm leaning towards DIY ADA fertilization scheme and watching the plants for deficiency.. They pretty much just dose K and trace? EI seems to work great for growing plants as fast as possible but I'm not really sure that's what I want now that its grown in. Hopefully the diatoms clear up soon on their own regardless.
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #81
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beantown
Posts: 1,539
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Default

beautiful tank.

i don't think i've ever seen a mr aqua 12g L before. very unique dimensions
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #82
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

Thanks! They're really great.
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #83
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

Time for an update. Diatoms are gone! I trimmed the S.Repens down to stumps recently, it got pretty dense in this narrow tank.

I got a great deal on the 17mm VIV Lily pipe from Chronados, so I've removed the skimmer for now.

















Thanks for looking!
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #84
mayphly
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
mayphly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (42/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pacifica
Posts: 543
Default

Totally diggin' the ottos!
mayphly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #85
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

For some reason they love hanging out at that end of the tank all day.
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #86
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 1,595
Default

Looking good! Your tank is really filling in nicely.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #87
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
 
acitydweller's Avatar
 
PTrader: (177/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,695
Default

What a gorgeous scape for an already stellar tank
__________________
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #88
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru
 
Raymond S.'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hot Springs Ar. 71901
Posts: 3,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Great pictures! I've used TSS before to get my tank cycled. The stuff really works! I had to argue with so many old school nay sayers when they're so quick to shoot down BB in a bottle without even trying it for themselves.
The product may be expired/inoperative due to being on the shelf too long or being subjected to temp. extremes during any
storage/shipping. But if your anything like me in respect to "new" products that claim to do what in this case seems to be
"miracle" type things(Example: one such product claimed to keep you from "ever having to do a water change again") then
IF you did get a bad bottle of it...you would be a one man advertising firm against it from then on. Likely because you would
want to warn others not to depend on it or just not spend their money on it.
Especially if you had spent $15-$18 dollars on the stuff as it sells in most stores. Which brings me to this point...Petsmountain
has it for $6 as long as you can wait on it.

BTW: Seriously awesome tank/bet the favorite location for the Oto's is current related/and as I'm just learning plants the plants
which are ground cover under the Oto's are which kind ?
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #89
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru
 
Raymond S.'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hot Springs Ar. 71901
Posts: 3,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Thanks! I really wasn't expecting the TSS to do much but I figured it couldn't hurt, it's nice to know that this stuff isn't snake oil. I was getting a little tired of changing the water every day.
One day...many many moons from now when they've had to eat their words time and again...they'll come around.
And don't forget that ineffective copy cats are messing it up for TSS also.
Now if we could just get them to lighten up on screaming that "Excel IS NOT CO2" we might get some peace...LOL...
For those who have the smaller tanks in which Excel would be cheaper to use...I'd suggest you go to the Sea Chem
home site and clic on the article at the right about "Carbon in the..." to read what a Phd has to say about it.
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #90
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Looking good! Your tank is really filling in nicely.
Thanks! I think I'm at the point with the Hydrocotyle where I should pull it up and replant it, the bottoms are looking ratty. Same goes for the Rotala. I'm going to wait for the repens to come back a bit first so there isn't as much opportunity for algae to take hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
What a gorgeous scape for an already stellar tank
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
The product may be expired/inoperative due to being on the shelf too long or being subjected to temp. extremes during any
storage/shipping. But if your anything like me in respect to "new" products that claim to do what in this case seems to be
"miracle" type things(Example: one such product claimed to keep you from "ever having to do a water change again") then
IF you did get a bad bottle of it...you would be a one man advertising firm against it from then on. Likely because you would
want to warn others not to depend on it or just not spend their money on it.
Especially if you had spent $15-$18 dollars on the stuff as it sells in most stores. Which brings me to this point...Petsmountain
has it for $6 as long as you can wait on it.

BTW: Seriously awesome tank/bet the favorite location for the Oto's is current related/and as I'm just learning plants the plants
which are ground cover under the Oto's are which kind ?
Thanks. I think you're right, the Otos seem to love sitting there in the current.

That's Hemianthus callitrichoides, HC aka Dwarf Baby Tears. For a while I had too much current and small section of it died off, since I've reduced the flow it's healthier and much more dense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
One day...many many moons from now when they've had to eat their words time and again...they'll come around.
And don't forget that ineffective copy cats are messing it up for TSS also.
Now if we could just get them to lighten up on screaming that "Excel IS NOT CO2" we might get some peace...LOL...
For those who have the smaller tanks in which Excel would be cheaper to use...I'd suggest you go to the Sea Chem
home site and clic on the article at the right about "Carbon in the..." to read what a Phd has to say about it.
Agreed.
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012