ADA 60P- higher maintenance than my gf. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Here is a quick write up on doing that kind of light stand with conduit.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59418
As per hanging 2 lights like that, you can probably get a small piece of aluminum or something and tie both lights together with a little bar, then use that to hang.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Check out page 5, post #49 by me. I linked to where I got my instructions too. This is how I did the double 90 bend on the conduit and attached it.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-256826-5.html
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #18
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

thanks guys. those are setups are exactly what I want to do. Except the back of the ikea stand is not wood. So I will have to mount it to the rear right side corner.
pole height to tank looks perfect on Brian's.

bending looks like a pita. will have to look at other options at the garage.

p.s. sexy tats brian
Old 10-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #19
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

day 9.

Finnex Ray2 came in. Holy crap this thing is small. I thought it was the box of wiper blades I ordered for one of my cars!

There should be no problem hanging 1 or 2 of these on conduit. They are so light. And insanely bright too. Note my t5ho's are probably a bit dimmer than new but wow the difference is crazy. One con is the truth about the wash out of colors. It' s a cool white. You can see the contrast from the pink t5ho's I have.

I will leave 4x24w t5ho and the ray2 on tonight to see how the plants react >=)

Been very busy lately with non-plantedtank stuff. will leave some pics for now.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #20
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Default Back again for more. Old school 60P

Day 10.

Came home tonight and noticed all my stems in the top of the hill melting and getting soft. Figured it was from the low water level. In an attempt to save them I flooded the tank up to the top level of the hill. Hopefully I didn't make a bad decision.

I will prob fill the tank soon. I want to play some micro sword or hair grass. Only thing preventing me from filling the whole tank is I have to move the stand later this weekend to build the light stand.

MM is growing pretty fast.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #21
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Will low 40par be enough to keep dwarf hair grass and micro sword happy?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello!

Interesting thread, but why not just hang the light in two wires from the ceiling? It is very easy to do and it look very clean and nice.

Jnad
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #23
Projectp
Algae Grower

Can't wait to see this tank filled out! How did the mini flood accident go over? I live on a 2nd floor and cant imagine what I would do if that happened, I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to have the 28g that I have in my living room.
Projectp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #24
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

Ive grown both at that par and expect it to spread even slower than usual. how high do you really need the ray II? why not just use leg extensions to elevate?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #25
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnad View Post
Hello!

Interesting thread, but why not just hang the light in two wires from the ceiling? It is very easy to do and it look very clean and nice.

Jnad
I wish I could, but my ceiling is basically the whole apartment. If I were to ever want to patch and paint, I'd have to do basically the whole apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectp View Post
Can't wait to see this tank filled out! How did the mini flood accident go over? I live on a 2nd floor and cant imagine what I would do if that happened, I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to have the 28g that I have in my living room.
Luckily I know the people under me. They were very cool. And they had some cracks they were looking to get patched and painted. So I just paid for the repairman to come and cut out the wet spot, dry it out and clean out any chance of mold. Then he patched everything and painted the whole ceiling. It could've been alot worse with different people or if I damaged electronics. (I had a leak in my bathroom from the person above me and it damaged a light, it had to be replaced on their dime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Ive grown both at that par and expect it to spread even slower than usual. how high do you really need the ray II? why not just use leg extensions to elevate?
It's totally fine on the tank, but I wanted to have it hung. More of a style thing than function thing. These lights were definitely not made to be high off the tank. More to come in following post..
Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #26
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Here's how my Saturday went:

Slept in. Woke up went shopping. Figured it was time to hit Homedepot one last time and pick up all the hardware.

1st visit.

Oh ya, that should definitely be fine in my sedan.

I call this one "stanced with poke"

read up on other ways of cutting conduit while I went and did other shopping. Just kind of left the car hanging with the poke for a few hours. I originally planned on bringing it back and cutting it with a sawzall. Looked on the Home Depot website for hacksaws. Found this mini guy, $4 FOUR FOUR BUCKS. Yes $4. And the reviews were top rated with comments of cutting conduit like butter. OK, let's do some parking lot cutting..

besides getting thumbs ups from everyone that drove by in their cars. This looked way safer! (The mall is only ~4 blocks from my house in city traffic)

Oh side story:
Here's what I ended up picking up during the same trip..

got lazy trying to hunt stuff down. made a few calls to local stores.. Dwarf hairgrass and 2 pots of microsword. Bought little baby crypts just for kicks.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #27
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

after unloading the car and doing other errands the rest of the day... I did some more thinking about the hanging portion of the project. checked out some threads from Brian and Spooln, did a few searches for other people's ideas.

Back to homedepot ~9:50pm.

After dinner and hanging out with the misses.
With a few drinks in me. I decided to start the light project.
~11:30pm
note: small ass city apartment.

the pole.

Here's my solution for the hanging.

Notice the nut on the hooks. They can pivot

A total shot in the dark, found some hooks that fit the Ray2's leg slots.

Not very happy with the wire and the stupid furrels? (clamps for the loops) I think I will try to hang it with clear fishing line instead for a cleaner look.

need to clean up the wiring and stuff... purple extension cord is temporary until I figure out my aquarium controller situation...

The project took maybe a little over an hour. Very easy project. The bending isn't all that bad. Just need to know how to use the markings on the bender. This is proof you don't need any power tools! You can get a $4 hacksaw and cut the conduit!

Project cost was around $20 bucks. That's including the hacksaw which I will keep around for other things. Bender cost wasn't included as I borrowed it from the store

planted the new stuff too
Old 10-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #28
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

The ray2 was definitely not designed to be very high off the tank. The light spread is very uneven. Obviously it stays mostly in the mid ground of the tank, but the fall off is very sudden. I'm afraid the foreground won't be very happy. Will definitely be looking into picking up a second LED fixture. Hopefully the planted+ gets out soon. Need more light.

And next project...

DigitalAquatics only offered me "free shipping" on anything I buy to replace my two broken Reef Keeper 2's. Kind of surprised at their service as they know the common issues with the display units and there's not loyalty or warranty trade in option. I bought 2 of these, my friend bought 2 as well. That's four RK2's! talk about loyalty!
Will be tearing these guys down and seeing if I can swap over parts to get one unit working or source out a new LCD display. I might just breakdown and buy a new controller from another company? I mean, I can get "free shipping" and a lower than retail price on amazon for a new Reef Keeper!

Will probably be filling the tank and getting the can. filter running this week also. The tank looks sad half filled. Need to open the box and see if the ehiems come with any usable media. suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #29
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Eheim (at least the classic) usually come with full media ready to use.
swoof is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #30
Projectp
Algae Grower

Nice lookin E90. Don't know where you get it serviced but if you ever want to trade aquarium stuff for labor let me know (I'm at chambers on comm ave).
Projectp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.