For all the older folks - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 10-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #31
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

My mother tells me how they used to chase the pesticide trucks on their bikes while they sprayed. When i was young we use to fall through frozen lakes, build tree houses. My dad let us use hammers, nails, and manual saws at the age of 6. We also had a zip cord outback. Tree house collapsed, with us in it, and I remember running into at least three trees as a kid on my bike.
Today my 3 year old doesn't want leave the house to go to the park. All he wants to do is play with his hot wheels and the iPad. I keep the tv off all day but when my wife gets home it turns on right away.
Times are different. Once I crashed my bike and split my head open and gashed my arm. After I walked home my dad said, "where's your bike son. Go back and get it and we can look at those wounds."(he never took me to the hosp btw, and I still have the scars to prove it 16 years later) today, kids run a temp of 101 and it's off to the er, not my choice. I miss it, and feel bad for kids today. Yea, we took risks, but I had a great childhood with many stitches and a ton of casts.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #32
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

I was quite injury prone as a kid myself. It got to the point where I walked to the emergency room for stitches alone. They would just call my mom "He's here again". Of course it was a small town. I jokingly call it Mayberry today.

In fact, there were only 2 local officers and we all knew both of them. Sound familiar? lol

A friend of mine and I decided to take our BB guns hunting. For more than a week we walked up and down the streets shooting squirrels out of peoples yard. When we were done we would clean them and put them in the freezer.

One night we were cleaning them under the street light in front of my house. A patrol car pulled up.

"Mike, Roger, what are you doing"?
"Just cleaning squirrels Mr. Thompson" we said.
He replied "Where did you get them"
Innocently, "They're everywhere. Just look in any tree you'll see".
After being informed hunting in the city was illegal he told us we would have to go to jail.

We were seven or eight years old!

Never the less he put us in the back of his patrol car and took us to the police station. There he separated us into holding cells.

We spent what seemed an eternity there scared to death. Our parents finally picked us up. We never did get our BB guns.

Years later my mother told me it was just to teach us a lesson. It was all prearranged. She told them to keep the guns and let us stew for awhile in those cells.

To this day the thought of going to jail scares the heck out of me. I would never think about knowingly breaking the law. A lesson like that can't be learned today. It was a good time when parents and the community could see the bigger picture. Working together to raise a responsible generation.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #33
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If a cop puts someone's kids in jail today here come the lawyers. Its bs. Kids, especially little boys, need a little fear instilled in them. I can only think of one time when my father yelled, and I never wanted to hear him mad again, I respected him, but there was a teeny tiny bit of fear in there to. I think that's the way it should be. Instead, parents fear their kids and possible lawsuit or a complaint in public cause u spanked your child. Sometimes they deserve it. I know I did.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #34
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Born in 1983 so I do remember a lot of that, and I have old fashioned parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
It certainly depended on how well your family knew the neighbors for me. But the school, oh yeah! Our principal had a paddle with holes. I had been at the wrong end of that device a time or two lol. Anyone remember hearing a "grown up" back then say "cut me a switch"...I did
It wasn't much for me to do something stupid and have to go out to the weeping willow out front and pick my own switch and God help me if I picked a little one lol. The principle at school also had a paddle and used it (effectively I might add).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
If a cop puts someone's kids in jail today here come the lawyers. Its bs. Kids, especially little boys, need a little fear instilled in them. I can only think of one time when my father yelled, and I never wanted to hear him mad again, I respected him, but there was a teeny tiny bit of fear in there to. I think that's the way it should be. Instead, parents fear their kids and possible lawsuit or a complaint in public cause u spanked your child. Sometimes they deserve it. I know I did.
I agree 100%, I am pro spanking. I heard something on the radio the other day saying a large portion of kids who are spanked are likely to become violent criminals because they associate spanking with anger and assault. I call BS. I was spanked as a child and have no criminal record because of it, neither do my siblings. My kids know not to do anything wrong, and if they don't listen to their momma all she has to do is say "wait till your daddy gets home" (remember that?) and the attitude quickly changes. It doesn't take a lot of meetings with dads belt to get your hands across.

End rant/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.