125g w/ 40g breeder sump. high tech, in wall-goodness - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #151
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think someone got some new fish??????
Update!!!
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #152
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

very nice. curious at to what led lights you have...
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #153
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

So i'm a bit of a dolt and got the five banded barb mixed up with the african banded barb. i've no idea how, other than perhaps mere excitement... the five banded is asian. Not a terrible mistake b/c they're fantastic fish, but not what i want. so i won't be buying any more of them.

I give this tank about a year before I do a redo and focus on a more natural african looking tank. Less variety of plants... and probably no anubias. Considering the amount of light in this tank, they're just algae pads. I have a bunch in a non-lit 20g that only gets spill over light from the 125 and the anubias in it are fantastic looking.

The tank currently houses 12 congo tetra, with another 12 on order, 9-10 five banded barbs, a synodontis of some sort, leopard bushfish, 5 ottos, and my two kribensis (who are days away from laying eggs)

anyway, here are a couple cell phone pictures of the tank as of last night. the water isn't perfectly clear as I replaced some filter media an hour before.

I'll get a better shot of the Elatine triandra in the foreground. it's doing really well, but really reflects light. Even with the light off in the tank, ambient room light will make them easily visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131202_221932.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	242257  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131202_221954.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	242265  

Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #154
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

so that last update didn't go over so well; probably because the images were absolutely terrible.

here is a much better shot.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #155
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking good, love how smooth it looks in the wall.

Also loving the plan to go African, don't see too many well done African tanks.
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #156
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Very nice, basement turned out great too!
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #157
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
Looking good, love how smooth it looks in the wall.

Also loving the plan to go African, don't see too many well done African tanks.
thank you so much. African only has been proving difficult. my ottos and five banded barbs are the only fish in there that aren't african. I won't be getting any more of either. Eventually I'll have to fish them out and place them in another tank.

But finding other african community fish is very difficult... and I've done a terrible job sticking to african plants. I'm not pleased with it because of those reasons, but now isn't the time to tear it apart and start over. so i'll keep going for a year or so... hopefully find those elusive fish i want, and redo the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Very nice, basement turned out great too!
thanks. it's a real joy sitting down there. we're still getting things set up though; the tv has a new carpet and couch, but we're lacking other furniture for the area... along with a 60" LED tv or 100" projector.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #158
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looks really nice, itl look amazing once it fills out.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #159
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee View Post
Looks really nice, itl look amazing once it fills out.
thank you. i agree! I was a bit lazy on keeping up with my ferts the past couple months. hence the algae (which has steadily reduced).

I'll be taking that stargrass type plant from the left side of the tank and fill out some areas with it. nice thick coverage. after looking at the picture I think it'll do well if trimmed to fit the areas I've planned.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #160
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

Looking good. The elatine is filling in nicely. Is that from the stuff I sent you? That stuff can turn into a pain to keep up on maintaining but it grows well and has great color. Keep up on trimming it so it doesn't end up piling up on itself. If you want a plant that has a nice orange/redish color you should look into getting some Hygro. brown. I trim at least 20+ stems out of my tank a week and by the next week it's back up at the top of the tank and growing along the surface. It would do well in your size tank. If it wasn't 10*F where I live I would send you a box full for free.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #161
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Looking good. The elatine is filling in nicely. Is that from the stuff I sent you? That stuff can turn into a pain to keep up on maintaining but it grows well and has great color. Keep up on trimming it so it doesn't end up piling up on itself. If you want a plant that has a nice orange/redish color you should look into getting some Hygro. brown. I trim at least 20+ stems out of my tank a week and by the next week it's back up at the top of the tank and growing along the surface. It would do well in your size tank. If it wasn't 10*F where I live I would send you a box full for free.
hey there. yes it is. it's been taking off like crazy lately and could probably use a trim. i'm a little concerned as it appears to be sitting a few mm from the substrate and anchoring itself w/ roots. but there are some parts that are starting to grow over itself. I'm excited to see it fill in the whole front.

I definitely need some color in the tank now. I have a red tiger lotus, but the mother bulb had it's leaves all die off, then it grew another bulb, then grew more leaves, which detached and have a little nodule thing on it and it's floating. I have 3 child bulbs in the tank now, two of which are now growing leaves.

have any pictures of that hygro brown? i might be interested!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #162
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

loving this elatine!

it doesn't ship well, but it grows beautifully

Old 12-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #163
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

This tank is incredible! Any close-ups of the congos?

I have a suggestion for catching the ottos; fish traps. Cut the first quarter of a bottle out and shove it in backwards, then stick some algae wafers in as bait. Use a small enough bottle that the other fish can't get in. It works great for bottom-ish critters like cories, ottos, plecos, snails, and shrimp.
Betta132 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #164
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
This tank is incredible! Any close-ups of the congos?

I have a suggestion for catching the ottos; fish traps. Cut the first quarter of a bottle out and shove it in backwards, then stick some algae wafers in as bait. Use a small enough bottle that the other fish can't get in. It works great for bottom-ish critters like cories, ottos, plecos, snails, and shrimp.
no real interest in catching the ottos. they're kinda cool, keeping to their own little area.

here's a close up of one of the congos

Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #165
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

That's looking great! Next time I get out toward Philly I'll have to come see it in person.
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote