Under the lake, 25 gallon cube tank (A Betta Sorority) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #31
annyann
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
Cool tank! Have you considered using foil baking pans(used to bake bread) as a reflector? They're cheap and work pretty good. If you do run into heat issue with that light, I would suggest drilling some vent holes into your hood and maybe install a computer fan.
Thanks! It is pretty cool . No I hadn't thought of using a foil baking pan for the reflector, that's a great idea. Right now the aluminum foil seems to be doing the job. My plants grew a notable amount today, the first day that the lights have been on the tank.
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #32
annyann
Planted Member

The tank is in the middle of cycling. Im cycling with fish food in a nylon bag. It's a mess, there is fungus sticking to everything in the tank, and the water is smelly. I posted pics and questions about this and have been told its sounds normal so far.
I did a test this morning and the ammonia was at 0 and the nitrite at .25 I keep thinking it should go higher with the amount of fish food I have floating in there..
Old 10-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #33
rininger85
Planted Member

fish food will take a while to decompose if its just floating there... stick it in your filter so it gets high flow going over it and it will decompose much faster.
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #34
annyann
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rininger85 View Post
fish food will take a while to decompose if its just floating there... stick it in your filter so it gets high flow going over it and it will decompose much faster.
That's a good idea, but it won't fit in my filter. I have it full of extra media. I did however move it under the overflow and hooked it in place with the thread that's holding the bag closed. Its now getting a lot of flow going over the bag.
Today is the first day I had any readable nitrite in the tank, I wonder how long its going to take from this point on to finish the cycle...
Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #35
rininger85
Planted Member

the cycle really depends on how much food you feed the tank to cause the initial bacteria growth. The less food you feed the tank the lower your overall ammonia/nitrite readings will be when they peak, the less bacteria you'll have in your tank, the more likely you might cause a mini-cycle when you start stocking your tank.

The more food you initially feed, the more ammonia/nitrite you'll get to your peak, the more bacteria you'll have grow, and less likely to mini-cycle by adding fish once its done...

My goal is to get my ammonia level so it is maxed out as high as my API test kit can read (might be unnecessary and might cause the cycle to take longer, but then I'm confident I won't cause a mini-cycle later, and the quicker I can feel confident that I don't need to keep testing my water to keep an eye on it all - once my tank is cycled I don't test water parameters unless I think something is wrong, or I'm adding new stock, but even then you'd have to add quite a few fish at once, which I don't do...)

Doing it this way it usually takes two to three weeks, and I give it an extra week after ammonia and nitrite hit 0 just to be sure...

You can add filter media from an already established tank to help speed this up (if you don't have another tank, I've heard of people getting used filter media from their LFS to help cycle tanks), but I haven't ever done that to see how much faster it speeds the cycle up...

I've got other tanks set up that keep me occupied while my new tank cycles... plus with my current tank that I'm cycling I've been doing a lot of rearranging of the aquascape so haven't been anxious to move fish yet... (plus I am going to move fry from my 55, they aren't very big yet, so they can keep growing in my 55 a bit longer...) if you don't have other tanks I know its difficult to not get anxious because you want some sort of life form in your tank =) just keep looking around on here to pass the time!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #36
rininger85
Planted Member

I should have said the amount of food you feed, and the speed at which it decomposes - the flakes just sitting slowly decomposing would only cause a low build up of ammonia and bacteria might grow fast enough to clear it without ever spiking high, putting it in the high flow area will help it decompose faster so you see the spike in ammonia.

Another thing I've seen people do for entertainment was keep a journal of pictures of their test results - pretty colors! lol

Last edited by rininger85; 10-22-2013 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: adf
Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #37
annyann
Planted Member

Quote:
I should have said the amount of food you feed, and the speed at which it decomposes - the flakes just sitting slowly decomposing would only cause a low build up of ammonia and bacteria might grow fast enough to clear it without ever spiking high, putting it in the high flow area will help it decompose faster so you see the spike in ammonia.

Another thing I've seen people do for entertainment was keep a journal of pictures of their test results - pretty colors! lol
I tried to find pure ammonia around here, but didn't have any luck. I got two bottles of the wrong kind so I gave up on it and had to go with using fish food. Im trying to get a large amount of bacteria growing like you, but it is a lot slower getting the ammonia level up. I plan to make this tank a female Betta sorority so im going to be adding 6 to 8 girls at once and don't want a mini cycle.. After they settle in I'll slowly add a small school of tetras of some kind and some corys for the bottom.
I do already have one other tank, and you said something that I hadn't thought about for some reason?? I could put one of the filters from my five gallon in this tank and hurry things along. I run to filters in my 5 gallon so that should work out huh?
Im hoping that moving the food bag under the overflow will get more ammonia coming in the tank so I can avoid a mini cycle later. I'll test again tomorrow and see if there has been any change. You know there has been no ammonia at all detected since I started the cycle. I was surprised to see the nitrite show up today (my colors have been boring till today)LOL..
Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #38
rininger85
Planted Member

tomorrow will be 1 week since my last water param check... I was at 4.0ppm ammonia, 0.25ppm nitrite on the 16th, tonight I'm at 0.5ppm ammonia, 1.0ppm nitrite... I'll have to test in another day or two to see if the nitrite is on its way up or down, but the ammonia I would expect will be cleared up by the end of the week, the nitrite if its on its way down will be gone by the end of the week too I would guess, if its on its way up it might take a little longer... but just to give you an idea on the progression time line.

moving the filter from the other tank conceptually should automatically cycle your tank, assuming its been running with that media for a while to build up enough bacteria (of course if you are going to a bigger tank it may still need more bacteria), if you have nitrites then there was ammonia in the tank already, you may have just missed it since the food wasn't rotting fast enough to see a high spike in ammonia...
Old 10-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #39
annyann
Planted Member

Quote:
tomorrow will be 1 week since my last water param check... I was at 4.0ppm ammonia, 0.25ppm nitrite on the 16th, tonight I'm at 0.5ppm ammonia, 1.0ppm nitrite... I'll have to test in another day or two to see if the nitrite is on its way up or down, but the ammonia I would expect will be cleared up by the end of the week, the nitrite if its on its way down will be gone by the end of the week too I would guess, if its on its way up it might take a little longer... but just to give you an idea on the progression time line.

moving the filter from the other tank conceptually should automatically cycle your tank, assuming its been running with that media for a while to build up enough bacteria (of course if you are going to a bigger tank it may still need more bacteria), if you have nitrites then there was ammonia in the tank already, you may have just missed it since the food wasn't rotting fast enough to see a high spike in ammonia...
Yea I probably missed the ammonia cause I haven't tested every day. I did test again this morning to see if moving the bag of fish food under the intake would make a spike in ammonia, but it tested the same as yesterday. 0 ammonia, and .25 nitrite. I decided to test my PH to and it's at 7.5 the same as when I set the tank up.
I think what i'm going to do is just wait it out and let the tank cycle on its own without adding the filter media from my 5 gallon. This is my thoughts on that. When the tank is all cycled and clean, just before I add my Betta girls, I will add the other filter media, I'm thinking that if I wait it will be like adding extra bacteria not just helping it reach the max it would of reached on its own, maybe that way since i'm doing it with fish food and its not going to build as big of bio-load capacity of bacteria, I can still avoid a mini cycle when I add my girls.. I dont know if that makes sense or not...
Thanks for the time line, that makes me think in a week from yesterday my nitrite maybe around .5 like yours is now. Dont you have to keep adding ammonia all the way through the process?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #40
rininger85
Planted Member

its good to keep adding a food source, I jump started mine with the shrimp to get the ammonia level high fast, then once I removed it I started feeding flakes that will slowly decay. I haven't ran a nitrate test yet to see how its doing, but just like ammonia, plants will eat the nitrate so may not be able to read nitrates either... at this point I'll let the ammonia/nitrite hit zero, then let the tank sit for a week while staying at zero then add a few fish.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #41
annyann
Planted Member

here is a pic of my five gallon tank. It has a male twin tail Betta and about 10 ghost shrimp in it.
This tank has golden Pothos. and Creeping Jenny growing in it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0103.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	225873  

Name:	101_0104.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	225881  

Name:	101_0051.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	225889  

Name:	101_0054.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	225897  

Old 10-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #42
rininger85
Planted Member

nice, I love the blue in the betta... I had one that looked similar, depending on how the light hit it, it showed up with blues, greens, reds etc. was a really pretty fish... but died when my tank crashed after I changed my substrate to start planting it =(

I was housing him with my guppies/mollies/corys without any problems... was news to me! I hadn't realized bettas aren't aggressive towards other fish, only towards their own kind... got it from a friends wedding - they had fish in about 1 gallon containers as center pieces... took it home and put it in my 55 and never saw a happier betta before to have so much room to stretch =)
Old 10-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #43
annyann
Planted Member

I decided to try to speed things along with the cycle and I went ahead and added the filter floss from my five gallon yesterday morning. I checked this morning and the nitrite is still at .25...Hmmm I thought the established media would have made some kind of a difference by now..
Old 10-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #44
annyann
Planted Member

Quote:

I was wondering if you tested your tank again? Hows it going with your nitrite?
I did put my filter floss from my 5 gallon in my cube tank, I think three days ago, I have since tested the tank everyday and the nitrite is still at .25 The filter floss seems to have made no difference in hurrying the cycling process. I am being impatient, I know, but the darn tank is so smelly with the fish food floating in it.
I also already have my Betta girls, 6 of them They are all in quarantine with their tanks side by side so they can see each other. They have been eating mostly live and frozen food with also good quality Betta pellets, there colors are so vivid and they are gorgeous! I'll post pics of them soon.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #45
rininger85
Planted Member

I haven't tested my tank lately, but I ended up doing about a 100% water change so I could move the tank to work yesterday, so my numbers will be next to nothing now that I put all fresh water in... so it won't be a good comparison now...

I'm planning to feed my tank another week now that its set up at work then add my fish next week if everything looks good on Friday of this week...

Tags
25 cube, betta sorority, creeping jenny