My First Discus Tank Lots of photos!... Now with eggs! and a Tardis.. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #31
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Ebay or craigslist isnt allowed but ill search for it thanks

samsung galaxy s3

Old 10-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
Ebay or craigslist isnt allowed but ill search for it thanks

samsung galaxy s3
Sent you the link if you look for something like that for your pipe size cos I just picked the first one that looked similar as I can't remember my size and I guess your size may differ
jameshill247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #33
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Thanks I have the same canister filter as you

samsung galaxy s3
Old 10-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #34
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
Thanks I have the same canister filter as you

samsung galaxy s3
I can try and find the item I bought on my purchases if you need the tube size but I believe it's listed on the filter spec
Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #35
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's the seachem ammonia alert

Good for one year

And easy to read

And a new video of them feeding

The newest discus ( 3/4 weeks since adding) still doesn't come out much.. Do you think having 5 discus is the reason and maybe I should go to 6 and get rid of some of the tetras as they can spook discus?

All the others aren't bothered by the faster fish

I haven't really seen any aggressiveness towards it from the other discus but it seems scared when I come near the tank
Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #36
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Once again forgot to post the link for the video

http://youtu.be/c1QSyUwn8GU

Looks like a film on top of the water? Could be the light though..
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #37
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Spent today trying to make a condensation lid!

Got some polycarbonate twin wall and cut it down to size.... Easier said then done with a now front

Cut a piece I can slide across the feeding holes

Superglued a couple of pieces together to make a block then glued the block in place to hold the lid in the tank and it all fits

It does annoy me already that I have to take it out to access the tank and also I can't have the water level as high as I wanted which means I can see a crack of light in the corner which is bugging me... I can see me throwing this lid out already!

Also I have some algae issues...

Any idea how I can get rid of this..
Old 10-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #38
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

contact Simon discus.. uk discus..

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.u...l62_136616.php

https://www.facebook.com/groups/justdiscusukbred/

when you need better fish.. that yellow looks sick.. if you see any of these fish foreheads start to look "THINNER".. or pinched.. they are sick.. so keep eye out on them.. mixing fish together with out qt can cause other problems.. but whats done is done..

just keep up with water changes daily.. to give change to recover from previous care.. super clean water does amazing things to ill discus..

good luck
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #39
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
contact Simon discus.. uk discus..

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.u...l62_136616.php

https://www.facebook.com/groups/justdiscusukbred/

when you need better fish.. that yellow looks sick.. if you see any of these fish foreheads start to look "THINNER".. or pinched.. they are sick.. so keep eye out on them.. mixing fish together with out qt can cause other problems.. but whats done is done..

just keep up with water changes daily.. to give change to recover from previous care.. super clean water does amazing things to ill discus..

good luck
Thanks I will take a look at the links

Oh really they yellow one eats the same as usual and has always looked the same

Could it be the stunting that's made it look that way

QT would be ideal but I don't have the space to set up any other tanks at the moment
Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #40
gt turbo
Planted Member

Look on here for a user by the name of DiscusPaul. He has a great write up on the care of discus, which I believe has been stickied in the Fish section here on TPT. PM him for some great advice on your tank and fish.

Btw, you have a fantastic tank, I believe your discus were stunted before you bought them. Kuddos to you for giving them a good home and doing your best to make and keep them healthy.

Good luck with your tank.
gt turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #41
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshill247 View Post
Spent today trying to make a condensation lid!

Got some polycarbonate twin wall and cut it down to size.... Easier said then done with a now front

Cut a piece I can slide across the feeding holes

Superglued a couple of pieces together to make a block then glued the block in place to hold the lid in the tank and it all fits

It does annoy me already that I have to take it out to access the tank and also I can't have the water level as high as I wanted which means I can see a crack of light in the corner which is bugging me... I can see me throwing this lid out already!

Also I have some algae issues...

Any idea how I can get rid of this..
Looks like bba, don't let it get a hold! You can spot treat it with excel and or H2o2.
Lower your lighting period could help, what's it at now?

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #42
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt turbo View Post
Look on here for a user by the name of DiscusPaul. He has a great write up on the care of discus, which I believe has been stickied in the Fish section here on TPT. PM him for some great advice on your tank and fish.

Btw, you have a fantastic tank, I believe your discus were stunted before you bought them. Kuddos to you for giving them a good home and doing your best to make and keep them healthy.

Many thanks for the plug, gt.

Yes, my guide is located inside the first & only sticky in the Fish section. click on that sticky for 3 articles & FAQ.

And to James Hill, yes, I would be very happy to answer any questions you may have on discus - don't hesitate to PM me if I can be of any help.

BTW, you can also view my guide on the BIDKA forum, (British & International Discus-Keepers Association) in their "Library" section.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #43
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt turbo View Post

Thank you is appreciate the point in the right direction

Thanks they may well have been as they were a few months old already but at least I have learned for future care now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
Looks like bba, don't let it get a hold! You can spot treat it with excel and or H2o2.
Lower your lighting period could help, what's it at now?
I have never been able to beat this... This is the first time I have really tried to keep the plants in check. Normally just throw out and replace when they get too bad!

Actually tried to get plants that might survive better and they seem to be doing okay this time but the algae is always my problem

The lights are on from about 10:30 till 7:30 at night ( timer) if I turn the time it will make my feeding window even smaller which is already a problem due to work

I have just started to use easy-life profito which is supposed to be an all round fert 15ml last Saturday after wc and will be using 15ml per week from now on.... Could it be the tank settling to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Many thanks for the plug, gt.

Yes, my guide is located inside the first & only sticky in the Fish section. click on that sticky for 3 articles & FAQ.

And to James Hill, yes, I would be very happy to answer any questions you may have on discus - don't hesitate to PM me if I can be of any help.

BTW, you can also view my guide on the BIDKA forum, (British & International Discus-Keepers Association) in their "Library" section.
Thanks I have looked through and found it very useful so far

Appreciated again thanks

I have created an account on BIDKA but not yet had much of a look around so I will look into that too
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #44
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Beware, my ammonia alert sticker never worked for me from the get go and I lost a couple cardinals because of it. My fault for not testing to confirm it worked, but with expensive fish like that I wouldn't want to risk it.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #45
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
Beware, my ammonia alert sticker never worked for me from the get go and I lost a couple cardinals because of it. My fault for not testing to confirm it worked, but with expensive fish like that I wouldn't want to risk it.
Thanks for the heads up I will keep an eye on it and test with the kit as well for a while