How to get crystal clear water?? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-09-2007, 04:17 AM   #31
Ukrainetz
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use floss, but it doesn't always make the water "crystal clear". I'm thinking of making a sump, where I will lay a micron pad for fine filtration. If you're really desperate, get a Magnum HOT or 350 and it will polish the water to your satisfaction for pretty cheap. The other thing you can do, is add Accurel F. It binds particulate matter, so it can be trapped in a filter pad.
Ukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #32
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (94/100%)

hmmm. You should be able to get them at a minimum through an online vendor.

If it really comes down to it....and you can't find it anywhere, shoot me a pm. we can work something out and I will pick it up and mail it to you. Just pay for shipping and the bag. i have a Petsmart not far from my house.

let me know.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #33
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainetz View Post
I use floss, but it doesn't always make the water "crystal clear". I'm thinking of making a sump, where I will lay a micron pad for fine filtration. If you're really desperate, get a Magnum HOT or 350 and it will polish the water to your satisfaction for pretty cheap. The other thing you can do, is add Accurel F. It binds particulate matter, so it can be trapped in a filter pad.
I use all purigen with filter floss media and when its really bad i add the Acurel F. Using those three options should make your water clear.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #34
tazcrash69
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

FWIW, I am not a fan of putting flocculants in the aquarium.
What they do is basically stick the tiny particles together to make a larger particle which can be filtered out easier. (as Ukrainetz said)

The problem is that there seems to be some documentation that this is not always the best thing for sensitive fish and can stress them out since the "glue" is not very discriminating.

Some Krib info here:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/flocculants.html

I have a HOT magnum 250 for water polishing (very rarely used), and stuff the Eheims with floss.

If you have a lot of particles, perhaps there is a bypass in your filter pad?

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
tazcrash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #35
garuf
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/
they stock EVERYTHING you could think of for a planted tank, and they've a sale on, GO GO GO!
garuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #36
Ukrainetz
Planted Member

I doubt that there is any bypass in the filter, because the particles we're talking about are so small that they are almost always suspended in the water. If the 50 micron filter pad doesn't help, I don't know what else will... BTW tazcrash, how does your Mag 250 perform? Does the micron cartrige really work well? I want a 350 for gravel cleaning, water polishing, and whatever else comes to mind
Ukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #37
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

A diatom filter is a very nice tool to have in our aquatic arsenal for cleaning up a mess or removing green water, I have had one for years and love it, I really only use it after a heavy up-rooting/trimming which can be messy, this of course after a good water change, but...

To get crystal clear water and virtually keep it that way comes from a well ran/maintained matured tank/substrate and most importantly is the filter regardless of brand it does need to be large enough for the tank and it must produce good flow and house proper media, (noodles/course pad/gravel/fine pad or floss, aged and not overly cleaned.

Floss and or sponges alone are not sufficient enough for a high tech tank to produce the results needed.

It is no exaggeration to say that the condition of an aquarium depends very much on the performance of its biological filter. When the filter's micro-organisms are thriving, the water will be crystal clear and there is no algae growth.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #38
tazcrash69
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainetz View Post
I doubt that there is any bypass in the filter, because the particles we're talking about are so small that they are almost always suspended in the water. If the 50 micron filter pad doesn't help, I don't know what else will... BTW tazcrash, how does your Mag 250 perform? Does the micron cartrige really work well? I want a 350 for gravel cleaning, water polishing, and whatever else comes to mind
My Mag 250 is my "dirty little secret". I've had it about 12 years, and It's usually just locked away in the storage room with no attention. The micro cartridge does work well for regular polishing, but for GW, you need DE (Diatomaceous Earth). But in 1 hour it cleaned up a 14 gallon tank of ectoplasm to crystal clear.
Biggest problem, not much space for media, but that is not why I bought it.

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
tazcrash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:02 AM   #39
Chris267
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
hmmm. You should be able to get them at a minimum through an online vendor.

If it really comes down to it....and you can't find it anywhere, shoot me a pm. we can work something out and I will pick it up and mail it to you. Just pay for shipping and the bag. i have a Petsmart not far from my house.

let me know.
Thanks very much for your offer, I have found some for sale in a garden centre here! I'm hoping to have clear water soon... ..mm time will tell...
Thanks again
Chris267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:07 AM   #40
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

no problem. I hope it work out for you!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #41
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
Clear water: One of the longest lessons I've learned in fish keeping is very clean feeding. I often used to just hastily toss a pinch of flake or bloodworms but now I like to feed very slowly. Sometimes I may spend 5-10 feeding my fish, really making sure nothing hits the bottom that isn't quickly gobbled by my cories or loaches.

Perhaps not the absolute solution to crystal clean water but you might be surprised how much cleaner the tank stays, I was.

+1! Believe it or not, the purchase that worked for me was one 65mm glass petri dish.

Place food in dish (if floaters, put it in the dish with tank water until it sinks, then cover it with the glass cover that comes with the dish), lower it to the feeding site, and voila (or if the cover is on it, you can do it with a french waiter flourish reveal). Whatever the fish can eat in 2 minutes is theirs, what they cant gets taken out of the water. Anything manages to float to the surface and doesn't get gobbled in 30 seconds gets scooped out. Even the tetra which I thought were mid-tank eaters have no problem attacking food in a dish on the ground.

Result? Milky white water is now super clear water, haha.
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #42
EngineChauffer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Holy thread necro batman
Old 05-30-2013, 04:08 AM   #43
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default How to get crystal clear water??

Quite an interesting read, thanks for bringing that to the top

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #44
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris267 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get the mesh bags to place Purigen in? Has anyone tried using ladies tights/nylons for putting it into the filter??
I go into the drug store and purchase the $2 pair of ladies nylons. Rinse them out, put in required amount of purigen, double knot the top and cut off excess.

Works great, but will fall apart after 2 recharges or so if you use 50:50 bleach solution. I haven't tried soaking the purigen longer with a weaker solution.

PS. They also work pretty well keeping onions and garlic from sprouting in the pantry...
devilduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #45
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

When I had my saltwater tank I used a bag of Purigen and a bag of Chemi-pure Elite. My water was so clear sometimes I wondered if there was even water in the tank. Now that I am only freshwater I use Purigen but I wonder if chemi-pure would help too.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote