Culture Club - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 09-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #121
Water7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thank you Olive, Kim, and Hambone for sharing your experiences about fish that do or don't eat microworms. I recently started giving my guppies a little bit of boiled egg yolk.The first time when I put it in and it was still warm, it fell apart into tiny particles, but the adult guppies still swam around snapping up those particles. That encouraged me that they might be willing to take the microworms too, but I don't know how it will actually turn out.
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #122
kimboden
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water7 View Post
Thank you Olive, Kim, and Hambone for sharing your experiences about fish that do or don't eat microworms. I recently started giving my guppies a little bit of boiled egg yolk.The first time when I put it in and it was still warm, it fell apart into tiny particles, but the adult guppies still swam around snapping up those particles. That encouraged me that they might be willing to take the microworms too, but I don't know how it will actually turn out.
Did you try them?

Kim
kimboden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #123
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I picked up a culture of banana worms at my club auction this weekend. They look like micro worms...

Also got a culture of "Large Grindal Worms" they are larger than my current culture, but I've never heard of them coming in sizes.. also, the guy I got them from calls them "Grinder Worms."

Any ideas?
0live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #124
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Going to join the club! Got a culture of grindal worms from mosesfive on aquabid coming in a few days!
devilduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #125
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I've been using plastic canvas with great success for my grindal worms. Plastic canvas directly on the substrate then I place soaked pellets, wafers, whatever on top of the canvas. The worms swarm the food and I harvest them them with tweezers from the side of the food.

My whiteworms are being difficult. I use the plastic canvas but they don't swarm the food from the sides, they stay in the soil and just feed from the bottom. I've tried the 'piece if plastic' technique but it never works very well for me- I end up with too much substrate mixed in when I harvest and that just adds dirt to my tanks.

What are the rest of you doing?
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #126
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I'm trying CPR on this thread.....

Every week or so I have been feeding my grindals kens fish color max sticks. do they love it like cat food or kens meat/spirulina wafers? Heck no, but they do eat it and after a day or so of feasting all the little wormies have a nice pink/orange color too them, which is the perfect time to feed them to fish that you want to bring out fantastic colors in.

I have heard you can also feed them straight prirulina and they turn a greenish blue but have not tried it.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #127
kcjenk42
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)

I just started keeping microworms and daphnia and I'd like to join the club please

10 Gallon
kcjenk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #128
ivan.f
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can finally join in. Have Microworm, Grindal worm & Rice Flour Beetle culture.
ivan.f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #129
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Hm, never noticed this thread here.

I've got grindals, microworms, orange head roaches, and when it's warmer - mosquito larvae.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:08 AM   #130
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

whoa, orange head roaches?! they're big! what do you feed those guys to? bichirs?
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #131
ivan.f
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
Hm, never noticed this thread here.

I've got grindals, microworms, orange head roaches, and when it's warmer - mosquito larvae.
Awesome! We're both on
Old 11-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #132
Elli
Planted Member

Perhaps one of you can give me some guidance with blackworms? My scarlet badis loves them! Right now all I have is a little cup in the fridge with a bit of water. Is there a better way of growing or keeping them?

And is there another kind of larger worm to culture? I'd love to start up something else to give him some dietary options. Tried microworms but he ignored them. Was going to try them with the guppy fry, but it looks like the culture died. I think it's just a little too cold on my counter-top overnight.
Elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #133
ivan.f
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elli View Post
Perhaps one of you can give me some guidance with blackworms? My scarlet badis loves them! Right now all I have is a little cup in the fridge with a bit of water. Is there a better way of growing or keeping them?

And is there another kind of larger worm to culture? I'd love to start up something else to give him some dietary options. Tried microworms but he ignored them. Was going to try them with the guppy fry, but it looks like the culture died. I think it's just a little too cold on my counter-top overnight.
Not sure if this is the place for me to answer.. but I'll do it anyway my scarlet badis loved microworms, bloodworms/tubiflex worms (I know i'm not suppose to give) and blackworms. To be honest Blood,tubi and blackworms are timing consuming. They don't culture as fast (from what I have tried) and it's best you buy them in bulk or for a large portion. But this is what I do. I actually have a 1 gallon with eco-comp where I have over 100+ MTS with 4 adult and 2 baby Assassin snails (which helps me breed more of them) and I feed the MTS. Along side that I have a lot of plants and moss. I dump the whole tubi, blackworms in the tank and my nano filter is for 5 gallon. So the oxygen exchange is very good (which blood,tubi and black worms need). So when the worms get dumped in.. and since they are aquatic and feed off the remaining food. They slowly culture and when I say slowly.. I mean very slowly! Water change every week.. I also sometime put my fish in there if I have to do a major change in my 8 Gallon tank. By the time I'm done.. fishes go crazy and eat till they're full. As for my Scarlets (they died recently due to jumping out the tank) they enjoy and love microworms to death. Always hunting for them. Hope it kind of answers your question.. sorry for any mistakes using google voice to text to type.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #134
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elli View Post

I haven't been able to breed blackworms but I've kept them alive for much longer by keeping them in containers with plenty of floating plants, compared to when I used to keep them in the fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuhuman View Post
whoa, orange head roaches?! they're big! what do you feed those guys to? bichirs?
I feed adults and large nymphs to my ornate horned frog. I feed the smaller nymphs to my fish. I just cut them into tiny pieces and toss them into the tank.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Last edited by Monster Fish; 11-23-2013 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: added
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #135
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (39/100%)

Ok guys and culture experts. I have the fruit flies from petsmart two of them and while one ramps up to produce more the other is overflowing how can I culture them the easiest way possible because my betas and fire belly toads love them.

Also how do you culture grindal worms soilesly? I have been culturing them in the coconut fiber and it does well but the last one got to wet and I never sprayed it, and I had to reculture it, now waiting for the culture to ramp up again and fast because I have beta fry I am feeding micro worms and grindal worms.

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote