Dirt Convert!! 55g Planted Tank Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
chan0482
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dirt Convert!! 55g Planted Tank Journal

I have toyed with the idea of using dirt as a substrate in one of my tanks for quite a while now. It seems to have a lot of benefits for plant life, and is much less expensive than other substrate choices. In the end of August I moved from Illinois back to Michigan, and figured... while the tank is all torn apart, why not throw some mud in the bottom of it? Anyway, onto some pictars!

Here is what it looked like about a year ago. Low tech, gravel only substrate, 3xT8 flourescents.

approx 6-20-13

Particularly fond of that madagascar lace plant. I've had it for around 5 years.. out of nowhere it decided to flower about 3 years ago.

This was on August 23, 2013. I was preparing to move the tank the next morning. I had already removed most of the wood/rock, and a good share of the plants. That rotala was really rooted in there deep!

8-23-13

On the 24th I netted all the fish (i moved 7 aquariums and 5 reptile habitats that day), distributed them to buckets, saved a butt load of water in other buckets, and made the trek back home to Michigan!

That afternoon/night (it kind of a blur lol) I set up the tank back up. (sorry no pictures of my process of dirting, but i had no clue where my camera even was at that point!).

> I added Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix, straight from the bag no sifting, to the bare tank, lightly patting it down with my hand and added a bit of water from a gallon jug until i had a roughly even layer of 1.5in.

>Next came scoops of mixed sm/med gravel that used to be in the tank... I labored forever picking out handfuls of 'shallow creek pebble' i had mixed in years before because i felt like the size was too large for the plant roots. If I thought ahead I would've just bought some smaller,darker gravel or possibly blasting sand. I piled this up to a depth of about 1.5in as well, as i had been informed that you want your soil base and cap to be around the same depth (initially i though about doing a deeper soil bed).

At the end of that i re-introduced the fish and just chucked the plants in to float. I finished setting up the rest of the tanks, and then we jumped back in the cargo van and drove back to Chicago... LONG friggin day! We spent the next week in IL finishing up packing our stuff and then on the 31st packed up a box truck and a few vehicles and finished off the move.

Stuff was real hectic at first, with constant trips to storage, painting and fixing misc stuff around the place, having to assemble all the random things my lady bought at the store, etc. It took me a few days to get around to planting the tank.. .so the plants floated for around 10 days. Not the end of the world for many plants, but my lace plant lost nearly all of its leaves, and shed the rest once it was planted . I was really bummed out and beat myself up about not re-planting it sooner.

Aaaaanyway, the next week i bought a good chunk of bargain bin plants at Bluefish in Grandville. Mostly crypt wentii red, some beat up java ferns, jungle val, zosterfolia, and a little blyxa japonica. I used this and some plants yanked from a couple other tanks to fill in a lot of holes. This is what the tank looked like by then. A bit stained from the organics in the MGOCPM perhaps, but I don't really mind that very much.

9-14-13

I was delighted to see new growth from the root mass of the lace plant! ^_^

9-19-13

Did a large water change yesterday, 35 gallons or so. Also added sponges to the filter intakes of my Fluval and the Aquaclear HOB filter, since they were crudding up with plant matter so quickly. Today I started dosing Flourish Excel and am eager to see how much of a difference it will make in the plant growth rates.

The gravel was a little thin in a few spots from planting, so i added a few handfuls of gravel to the spots that needed it, attempting to lightly mix it with the surrounding gravel.

The lace plant is coming back very nicely... I'm always impressed with how quickly its' leaves grow.

chan0482 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Luminescent
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I love the look of the gravel mixture- natural yet elegant. This will be lovely grown in. Hope your lace plant comes back.
Luminescent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
frenchie1001
Algae Grower

i like the larger pebbles! i was looking in a garden bed today trying to picture how it would look as substrate.

well done.
frenchie1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
chan0482
Algae Grower

thanks a lot!

The lace looks better every day. IMO take care adding pebbles that are too large, they dont work nearly as good for planting... i picked a bunch of it out by hand, spent longer than i probably should have on that lol
Old 10-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
chan0482
Algae Grower

9-24-13

The other day I decided to stop into Petsmart in Grandville just to check it out, as I haven't visited this store in over 9 years. The only plants they had were those goofy pre-packaged ones with the moisture retaining gel around their roots.. and they were very over priced. Fish selection was pretty mreh as expected, however they did have some polypterus which are always cool. I was surprised at how healthy and cheap their young het. rasbora and otocinclus looked. i grabbed 5 rasbora and 10 otos for $24 and some change! only lost 1 oto after 3 days now... not too bad.

Can you count all 6 otos? they love this val! ^_^

Lace plant progress:

The rotala is looking good. Tops are turning red, and lots of new growth all over.

Full view

Old 10-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
chan0482
Algae Grower

10-03-13

The lace is either really liking the soil or the excel, or maybe both ^_^

hehehe

Picked up 4 Corydoras paleatus from BlueFish a few days ago, they are settling in nicely with the lone julii

Full

Old 10-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
chan0482
Algae Grower

10-05-13

Ok, so normally I'd wait a bit longer before posting on this journal again... but I can't wait because I'm to excited to share! Earlier i mentioned that in the 5 years i've had the Madagascar Lace plant in randomly flowered once (around 3 years ago). Looks like it is about to do it again!!!! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

last time the pointed stalk looking thing grew to the top and then flowered above the water. it had 3 cones covered in little purple flowers.

Rotala is growing well. I'll start transplanting bits like this around the tank to fill in gaps in the background and corners.

Rainbow

Old 10-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
chan0482
Algae Grower

10-16-13

So i guess the flowering worked a bit different this time. Well more accurately it just took longer to start this time. The plant is doing really good and spreading like crazy, it has sent up a stem that flowers at the surface of the water! ^____________^

This time the 'flowering stem' (idk the proper terminology) grew to the surface of the tank, but then turned sideways and grew for another three feet before deciding to poke out of the water and start flowering lol

It's just starting to flower.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chan0482 View Post
10-16-13

This time the 'flowering stem' (idk the proper terminology) grew to the surface of the tank, but then turned sideways and grew for another three feet before deciding to poke out of the water and start flowering lol
It had to find juuuuust the right spot to pop up haha, dang never seen that long of a stem (going sideways). Congrats on your bloomer
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
chan0482
Algae Grower

(9-17-13)this is only about 10 hours later. the flowering happens pretty fast. I screwed it up the last time and accidentally killed the flowers after a couple days.. eager to see how long it lasts this time.

9-17-13 (12 hours later)

This is how it looks tonight. it dropped pollen on the rim of my tank and has an interesting fragrence ^_^

Last edited by chan0482; 10-19-2013 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: oops wrong pic!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #11
Beef Treats
Algae Grower

Haha I love how it crosses the entire tank and THEN turns up to flower.

Very nice by the way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Beef Treats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
chan0482
Algae Grower

lol yea ikr!

thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.