ADA 60P---Failure....Low Tech again. - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #91
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
I've been meaning to ask you, what are those two clips on the back of the tank with wires coming off of them?
I have a fountain pump style autodoser. That's where the ferts come out. So after the pump, I use air hose and those are just air hose connectors. The clips are some random SS ones I found over the years.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #92
keats
Planted Member

Looks significantly better since day one. The splash of color is very nice. Starting to come together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #93
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keats View Post
Looks significantly better since day one. The splash of color is very nice. Starting to come together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Thank you. It may sound odd but I hate starting out with a bunch of plants, especially on a tank that will have a bunch of species. It's one thing with a natural style tank where you may only start with one or two plants, maybe a few more "accent" plants but I still have plants on weights, just not sure where to go or if I will keep them.

I figure this will look decent in about a month, assuming I can get good color, something I struggle with in high tech, ironically not so much in low tech. That is one of the reasons I chose to do a stem only, hopefully soon to be more traditional looking, dutch style tank.

I think it will take me 6 months to a year to be truly happy with it and have every plant I really want, take out any I don't, do a few rescapes, etc but this is a long term tank for me. When it's done and I really like it, I don't plan to move on, just continue with it. I will need to buy a larger nano tank now to fufill my natural style needs though haha.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment, I still have a long way to go.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #94
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Here is an update with some Ok pics, looks different in person.

First, the right side needs a bunch of work but I have all this blyxa japonica that I need to get rid off. I am getting to the point where I have to really decide what I want or not as I have about 25% of space left. My layout may need some tweaking as well as it's too hard to know how things grow on initial setup. So, this is still in "beta" mode.

If you look close, I have quite a bit of algae. I believe it is Spirogyra but I am not sure. I know I introduced it to the tank and should have taken out the plants that came with it but I didn't see it at first and by the time I did, I was too busy to deal with it. Or so I think, maybe I created it. It's thriving so I will start some plan of attack soon. All other algae, BGA and GDA have come and gone, making me think I am doing OK, but not great.

Lastly, I am having trouble with color. Ironically, my R. macrandra has the best color, though far from great, as I have never done well with this plant. My ludwigia sp red has better color than in the pics but still isn't as red as it should. I have had the same results with both in low tech.

I have two plants, R. macrandra "narrow leaf" and nesaea red that I cannot tell apart. New growth is not colorful at all. They may or may not be the same plant but look and behave the same. If they are, no biggie, I do have something in mind if they end up being the same plant, or just look to similar for my taste.

Next steps....I need to figure out my ferts. I cannot inject much more CO2 and I should have plenty of light so I am going to consult with a few people who grow beautiful red plants. I am thinking about trying out Giesemann bulbs due to their great reviews. I don't have high hopes but it's just one of those things where you hear about it so you feel the need to try it once. They are not particular expensive to me as I buy my bulbs locally, though I hate mail order, I am thinking about giving them a shot.

Then we have the algae. I am just going to try Algaefix and see what happens. I have found it safe so I will try to short cut it. If I felt it was created by me, I would take a different approach. I am also dosing 10ML of excel when I remember.

Here are some pics, far from beautiful. Need to stop trimming and let things grow out, just trying to keep my plants in control. I will clean my pipes and tubing at some point as well.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #95
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Looks great so far. I would let it grow and just keep replanting tops and pulling bottoms when you trim. That's also good placement on the nesaea red if that's what it is. It grew painfully slow for me. The narrow leaf macrandra is a smaller plant than nesaea in both stem and leaf and also makes a good foreground plant. Yours looks like nesaea to me.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #96
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Dang dude... good luck with that spiro. I swear that's my mortal enemy. I've dealt with it twice before. And actually, I'm dealing with it now in a quarantined container that came on some newly acquired mini Xmas moss. I've been treating for a week with Algaefix and it's finally dying off. It's very resilient, more so than my previous encounters. It's getting a more concentrated Algaefix dose but lasting longer... strange!

I think the Giesemann bulbs should make a difference. Have you tested your nitrates and phosphates yet? I wonder how that auto doser is working out.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #97
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Looks great so far. I would let it grow and just keep replanting tops and pulling bottoms when you trim. That's also good placement on the nesaea red if that's what it is. It grew painfully slow for me. The narrow leaf macrandra is a smaller plant than nesaea in both stem and leaf and also makes a good foreground plant. Yours looks like nesaea to me.
That makes sense if they are both nesaea red. They looked slightly different in the tanks where I bought it. One was right under R. Magenta and when I bought it, he said it was the same plant, just looked a bit different. I assumed he meant that the R. macrandra and R. Magenta where basically the same plant that looked different. That makes me feel better as people say nesaea red is hard to grow so I can feel a bit better since most my other red plants are showing OK color, not great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Dang dude... good luck with that spiro. I swear that's my mortal enemy. I've dealt with it twice before. And actually, I'm dealing with it now in a quarantined container that came on some newly acquired mini Xmas moss. I've been treating for a week with Algaefix and it's finally dying off. It's very resilient, more so than my previous encounters. It's getting a more concentrated Algaefix dose but lasting longer... strange!

I think the Giesemann bulbs should make a difference. Have you tested your nitrates and phosphates yet? I wonder how that auto doser is working out.
Not too worried about the algae. It grew insanely fast which is why it became an issue but it looks like it has stabilized and not getting worse, maybe a bit better. As said, I am just short cutting it with algae fix. If that doesn't work, I will try other means.

Have not tested phosphates but nitrates are low. Honestly, I have never really used test kits but after some reading up, I plan to start. I did up the phosphates, heard it from you first, then looked into it online. Figured it couldn't hurt. I lowered nitrates to 1/2 EI but they are bottoming out so I may add some. I then switched from Plantex CSM+B to Flourish Comprehensive.

The way my autodoser works is it's a 2 week period of my fert mix so I find that is just enough time to figure out if any changes are needed. We will see, I may need to up the KNO3 back to normal EI until the tank is fully stocked.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #98
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

So, just wanted to take a picture before I did a trim. It may seem like it needs to grow out but in my experience, constant trimming will get it to a manicured look more quickly. Honestly, I feel it looks really "rough" right now.

On the bright side, I don't see any of what I think was spiro after 2 doses of algaefix. That leads me to believe it really wasn't thriving, just doing well enough to stay. My reds are getting from OK to Good on some plants.

On the subject of red....I obviously need more. I purposely not being experimental and just waiting to get the right plants that I really enjoy. I really want my colorful plants to pop so having a lot of green seems to be effective in the scapes I am kind of referencing. Hopefully I find the plants that "speak to me" soon. Since I am still developing the layout, that may be soon, may be awhile. I know that is sort of boring.

Lastly, I finally did myself the biggest favor of my life and set up a holding tank for my plants. I will likely post more on that later but it's a simple setup, bare bottom, that I don't have any plans to scape. In bitFUUL's emmersed thread, I coined it the "tool box" which is kind of my goal here, as well as not keeping things I don't like because I may want them later down the road.

Here is a pic, just about to trim:

Old 10-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #99
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

blyxa japonica, where it go? How much Co2 you pumping? Looks like a yellow drop checker, I guess that good Co2.

Your nitrogen should be cover in AS, for a while anyways.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #100
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
blyxa japonica, where it go? How much Co2 you pumping? Looks like a yellow drop checker, I guess that good Co2.

Your nitrogen should be cover in AS, for a while anyways.
I ditched the Blyxa for now. It just was growing too big.

CO2, as much as I can. I actually need to drop it just slightly as my fish are slightly stressed, not gasping but are "easily startled". I can't go any higher with fish, that is for sure.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #101
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Just for fun before I get started on something else. Here is a picture of the side to show how the reds are improving. You can see all but the nesaea red are coloring up. I will start trying to color up the nesaea red as I learn more about it but everything else isn't all that bad.

Sorry for the phone pic, can't get a good shot without a tripod on my other camera

Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #102
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Good to hear you knocked out that spiro before it became problematic.

Your last side view pic appears that your tank is very cloudy. Any clues as to the culprit?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #103
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Good to hear you knocked out that spiro before it became problematic.

Your last side view pic appears that your tank is very cloudy. Any clues as to the culprit?
The culprit to the cloudiness is a combination of the fact I had just stirred some things up but mostly the camera on my iphone. Not cloudy at all, just get a lot of graininess in my phone's camera. Looks a lot more like my last update though my camera shoots darker (old point and shoot).
Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #104
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Gotcha... lol

So did you decide what other reds you're going to try to get in there?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #105
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Gotcha... lol

So did you decide what other reds you're going to try to get in there?
Not yet. I was planning on going to Albany Aqurium or AFA today as my wife had to pick up her friend in SF but didn't go. I may go tomorrow. I know I want something orange and I need a few plants that are easy to get red that stay low. Thinking Mini AR is in the equation. I like ludwigia cuba but that may be too big. I may pull out the limnophila aromatica as I am getting no color and have always struggled with this plant. If I can get color, I will keep it. I also have some R. Butterfly in the tank that is totally stuggling because I had it in very low light. Will see if that recovers.

Lastly, one of the "streets" is a fast growing green plant I cannot remember. Though I like it, it only looks good for about 2 days, then I have to trim, takes a few days to recover and needs another trim. It's also a bit more "unrulely" that I thought, now that I am trimming it. I plan to replace that with R. colorata. Right now, I have been propagating one little stem of it so I really need to get more as that will take me months.

I have said it a few times but this tank will go slow. Though you can't tell, I have made a bunch of changes as I really have to relearn each plant I have had and learn all the new ones I get. To achieve the dutch look, everything needs to be very packed in so if a plant starts shoot to far to the side, I have to redo a lot of work.

On another note, I am super pumped that I can clean my outflow while it's on the tank because the curve is so gradual. The inflow is not so noticeable so I will likely clean that less often. I may try to make my inflow two piece as it is acrylic so it may not be that hard. If it's ugly at the joint, you won't see it on this tank when it's done.