29 Gallon - "Mirkwood" - update 1/14 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #16
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

One of my swordtails had babies today! I counted 7 survivors hanging out in the Hornwort plants that I have floating. I also discovered a snail of some type. It is the size of an "o".
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looking good. Now all you need to put the finishing touches on it would be some plastic spiders and Wargs.
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #18
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks. I thought that if I got some ghost shrimp (my LFS sells them) or Amano shrimp they could be the "spiders" in the tank.

On a sad note, my male swordtail died today. I think he had columnaris.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #19
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Two of the female swordtails died last night, a solid black one and a red/white one. I picked up some Melafix from my LFS today and treated the tank. The three remaining females are looking MUCH BETTER. They are a lot more active than before. The 3 Oto cats are still as active as ever, and the fry are doing well.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #20
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Today I picked up 3 replacement swordtails (2 males, 1 female), and 5 Aeneus cory cats from my LFS today. The cory cats are going crazy digging through the sand. It's fun to watch because when I had cory cats before, I had them on gravel so they couldn't dig very much. I'll try to get some pictures later.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #21
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update and I need advice.

All of the fish and plants are doing well. The wisteria, ludwigia and rotala are all nearing the top of the tank. The snails are multiplying rapidly, so I may get a few assassin snails.

Here's my problem. I think I didn't sift through the dirt very well, and I'm still netting out pieces of wood every day. It's getting annoying that whenever there is a gas bubble coming up from the dirt, or when the cory cats go digging too deep, stuff floats up. How hard would it be to empty the tank, clean the gravel and sand, sift the dirt, and replant? Has anyone done something like this before?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

It would probably be very time-consuming, but not necessarily difficult. I'd suggest you put the fish and plants in a filtered bucket with something covering it to make sure they don't jump.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 AM   #23
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

Personally I wouldn't want to do it, just because it seems like it would be a mess to separate the cap from the dirt cleanly.

But if you do do it, then I would just do it like I was redirting the tank. Take out fish and place in container with filter and heater. Shouldn't have too much problem if the filters are all kept intact.

Just try and scoop out your cap as cleanly as possible so when you are recapping you don't have dirt mixed in the cap to float all around when you refill. Also drain as much water as possible. Even a small amount of water left in tank will probably make things much harder.
Good luck with it

Also I didn't sift my dirt at all, just scooped out anything too big too cover and I don't have much trouble with floaty bits. Perhaps your cap is too thin??
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 04:08 AM   #24
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi!

Haven't updated in a long time. My tank is doing well. I am having an algae outbreak right now, but that is because I didn't do a water change for over a week. My most recent picture is from December 23rd. The tank looks about the same. Most of my original Rotala and Ludwigia didn't make it, but there are a few pieces still in there. Today I moved half of the floating Hornwort to my 10 gallon fry tank because it will take over this tank if I don't remove it. All off my fish are growing and doing well. I am getting swordtail babies every month. In my fry tank, my oldest juveniles are starting to show sings of being male or female.

Thank you for viewing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.